Samsung SIR-TS160

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I like it. I mean its old, but free OTA box. The OTA reception is good enough for me to get all my San Diego locals with an indoor antenna. My favorite feature is the INFO-> Show Times.

Dislikes:

No native SD, its 1080i or nothing in my case.

The games are stupid

The ts-160 is my favorite of all DirecTV hd receivers. It has been bullet proof for us for over 3 years. We have 2 in daily service in the living room and master bedroom.
They rock, and are faster sat many tasks than h-10 or h20 boxes, with nore features.

I like it for you can select a show you want to view at a later time and it will advise you of it and take you there incase you forgot

New out of the box they had problems, software upgrades cured most of the early problems. The only problem not cured is they run hot do not put them in an enclosure or you will have premature failure. If you need repairs just throw it in the trash Samsung is terrible on repairs, new receivers are better. Why did you buy first then ask opinions later?

I love mine. Initially had a couple problems (one of them was hardware related so the box needed to be sent back to Samsung). First had buyers remorse because I came from a Hughes E86 which worked great but ran hot enough to heat my whole house. Samsung support was absolutely incredible, went out of their way to make sure the box worked as it should. They fixed a red push issue (that was hardware), along with funky access card error and PSIP data issues (those were software).

The E86 it replaced actually melted the paint on my DIY component rack (the rubber feet on the E86 were stuck to the paint itself). The Samsung barely gets warm to the touch (dunno why a previous posters box gets so hot). Its completely stable except for an occasional guide slow-down, which I believe has something to do with leaving it on an OTA channel that turns off their signal overnight.

New boxes may be better, but when I was thinking about replacing the Samsung, after reading all the reviews and such, you could end up with more features but also a lot more issues too. The Sammy has served me well, and I will hate the day D* forces me to "upgrade" to their HD replacement box.

-Chris

Milwaukee12 said:
Sounds like a great box. Thanks.

I bought without asking because it's just going to be an OTA box for me. I knew Samsung receivers were known to be good for that.
Your right about that I am using a TS-360 for that it does both analog and digital. It also has a menu option to set it up without being connected to a D* dish.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)