Samsung to launch dual-standard DVD player (maybe not!)

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.KS) will bring out a DVD machine next year capable of playing both Blu-ray and HD DVD if backers of the rival standards fail to agree on a unified format, a newspaper said.

Competition between the two camps has hampered the launch of the next generation of optical disks, which will have greater capacity and higher definition, as movie studios hesitate to commit to printing disks on either standard.

Samsung's head of consumer electronics, Choi Gee-sung, told the Financial Times Deutschland: "We would welcome a unified standard but if this doesn't come, which looks likely, we'll bring a unified solution to market."

"It won't be simple but you'll see our solution in the coming year. Consumers will be too confused otherwise," he added in the interview published on Tuesday.

Samsung is a backer of blu-ray, which promises higher capacity than HD DVD and better interactivity and security.

But supporting all standards -- as Samsung has done with cellphones and mobile video -- could give it an advantage in the multibillion-dollar market for DVD players, PC drivers and optical disks.

Blu-ray is backed by the majority of electronics makers, including Sony (6758.T), Panasonic brand maker Matsushita (6752.T) and Philips (PHG.AS).

HD DVD's supporters, who say their technology is cheaper and compatible with current DVD and CD players, include Toshiba (6502.T), NEC Corp. (6701.T) and Sanyo Electric (6764.T).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050906/tc_nm/samsung_dvd_dc

Well, that's the only way I'm gonna buy a player. Wonder if it'll be more expensive then two non-unified players?

Does Samsung make optical drives? Are any of the optical drive makers already working on this?

If Samsung gets one out, the other manufacturers will have to follow.

This is definitely a good move, although beyond BDE and HD-DVD I doubt it will supports as many format as my Snazio SZ-1350 does right now, let alone wireless and wired networking etc...

This will be the next player that I purchase. As a consumer, I abhor the format war and this is the only way to cover my ass.

The only thing about the announcement that troubles me is that I haven't heard a thing about it since it was mentioned in September.

Nothing mentioned (from what I read) at WCES.

I hope Samsung doesn't abandon their plans! I want them to take it a step further and launch a combo "CHANGER"!

Last edited:
There is no way I could afford to drop 1000- 2000 dollars this thing would cost anyway. When HDDVD and Bluray come out it will be far too expensive. Heck in 5 years that $2000.00 dollar player will cost $199.99

Well, that tears it for me. I won't be purchasing either formats if they can't agree on either a player to cover both, or a unified format.

I would love everyone else to join me in telling the companies involved to either get it together or go screw themselves!

Same here I'm going to wait for the Samsung Dual DVD player that plays both HD formats. Having two formats is going to hurt the electronic makers because most consumers aren't going to buy any of these HD DVD players till the Samsung unit arrives since it plays both formats.
Come on $1800 dollars for a Pioneer unit?? No thanks I'd rather buy another HD TV at that price :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)