Samsung TV' that work with Genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
Can anyone point me to a list of the compatible RVU sets? A friend is getting Direct and I mentioned the idea and he would like to buy sets to keep his setup very clean. I found 3 models in an old thread.

I was curious if anyone had more current information/model numbers for me to pass on to him...

Thanks.

Chris

The last I heard it was only the D6000, D6400, and D6420 models that are rvu compliant.

Currently only the following Samsung LED TV models are RVU-enabled:
2011 Models2012 Models
D6000
D6400
D6420
ES8000
ES7550
ES7500
ES7150
ES7100
ES6900
ES6580
ES6550
ES6500
ES6150
ES6100

2011 Models2012 Models
D6000
D6400
D6420
ES8000
ES7550
ES7500
ES7150
ES7100
ES6900
ES6580
ES6550
ES6500
ES6150
ES6100

Thats good, I see they have added some more models this year.

Good information mlbfans. Where did you get it from?

I would check with D* before hand to verify that they work BEFORE purchasing one of the new ones (2012 models) ...

I found this a few minutes ago on D*'s website, now the website may or may not be up to date, it's not always 100% accurate, but:

Client Installation (RVU TV) Advanced Whole-Home DVR and Samsung 6000, 6400, or 6420 series TV required. Select this option if you want the installer to install your Samsung TV as an additional TV to be powered by the Advanced Whole-Home DVR.

Notice the 2012 models are not listed, that may mean that they are indeed RVU, but not set up for D* yet, or they may just have not updated the website.

Personally, I think they will work fine ... but I would check ahead of time just to make sure.
If you call in, I would expect the CSR you speak with first, won't have a clue, you'll want to get to the second level at least or speak with a supervisor.
If you ask for the HD Dept. that may get you where you need to be.

Thanks mlbfans it helps alot on my next TV purchase and Thankd Jimbo for post about Directv list and they may not have it updated :)

The DirecTV list is out of date, I believe the one mlbfans posted (on the RVU alliance page??) is correct. There was a Samsung firmware release a couple of months ago that enabled several 2012 models including the ES6150 that I have....

The DirecTV list is out of date, I believe the one mlbfans posted (on the RVU alliance page??) is correct. There was a Samsung firmware release a couple of months ago that enabled several 2012 models including the ES6150 that I have....

Thanks Tex, thats what I figured, but didn't want to see someone buy a new version without knowing for sure.

I can personally confirm that the UN65ES8000 (probably other size ES8000's) work.
However, the picture seems very dark. Also, I recall reading that it won't work with 3D, which is kind of weird since it is a 3D TV. Why would they not enable it.
Also, I am not sure how the quality of the picture really is because it is connected via my router to the HR34. From what I read, the ethernet port on the TV is NOT a gigabit port. Also, I am not sure how well a single cat5/6 cable can handle the data needed for 1080p. I don't know too much about this, but most HDMI over CAT5 adapters use 2 cat5/6 cables.

Has anyone here really tried it?

Also interesting, I haven't actually activated it. It gives me the screen that asks me for the code on my HR34 to pair them together. However, since I haven't activated it with DTV, it won't let me continue. However, it does seem to allow me to swap my C31 connection with the Samsung. It said something like "you are only authorized for 1 client. Would you like to change the client to a new one?". Seems like it will let me swap on my own. I just was afraid I would mess something up, so i didn't proceed.

2011 Models2012 Models
D6000
D6400
D6420
ES8000
ES7550
ES7500
ES7150
ES7100
ES6900
ES6580
ES6550
ES6500
ES6150
ES6100

Is there an updated list of more Samsung TV's you can provide me? Thanks for the help and appreciate it very much :)

Last edited:
I can personally confirm that the UN65ES8000 (probably other size ES8000's) work.
However, the picture seems very dark. Also, I recall reading that it won't work with 3D, which is kind of weird since it is a 3D TV. Why would they not enable it.
Also, I am not sure how the quality of the picture really is because it is connected via my router to the HR34. From what I read, the ethernet port on the TV is NOT a gigabit port. Also, I am not sure how well a single cat5/6 cable can handle the data needed for 1080p. I don't know too much about this, but most HDMI over CAT5 adapters use 2 cat5/6 cables.

Has anyone here really tried it?

Also interesting, I haven't actually activated it. It gives me the screen that asks me for the code on my HR34 to pair them together. However, since I haven't activated it with DTV, it won't let me continue. However, it does seem to allow me to swap my C31 connection with the Samsung. It said something like "you are only authorized for 1 client. Would you like to change the client to a new one?". Seems like it will let me swap on my own. I just was afraid I would mess something up, so i didn't proceed.
The picture quality on my Samsung when used as an RVU is fine, you just need to set it up properly. The ethernet link from the HR34 has plenty of bandwidth for 1080p.
It's a streamed video signal, not HDMI, the same signal that you use for Whole Home between two DVRs.
Yes, you can swap the RVU with an existing client without any issues, all the system cares about is how many you have not what they are.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts