San Diego HD - Orange Screen Redux

RBergmann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Vista, CA
For the last few weeks, the San Diego NBC HD channel has displayed an Orange screen off and on (SD is okay). Now the local ABC HD is having the same issues. Any ideas why?

Good question. We have seen this also, but our screen color is yellow. :) I have to switch to the SD channels to watch our show and then later check back an we see HD just fine. I wonder if this is the station working on HD issues before the big Feb. 09 switchout to all HD. But I really have no idea why this is happening. Be interested to here whats up.

Good question. We have seen this also, but our screen color is yellow. :) I have to switch to the SD channels to watch our show and then later check back an we see HD just fine. I wonder if this is the station working on HD issues before the big Feb. 09 switchout to all HD. But I really have no idea why this is happening. Be interested to here whats up.
Apparently this is a Dish issue. My daughter has Time Warner and has received HD broadcasts for shows that I've missed due to this problem. I contacted Dish through their web site and it is a "known" issue with no idea of when it will be resolved. The color issue may have something to do with either the receiver (we have a ViP 622) or the television itself.

I sent an email to Dish on Dec 19 and got this response on Dec 23. I would always recommend that you send an email to Dish Quality when problems arise.

"Dear Mr. Smith

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We are aware of the issue. This should no longer be a problem. The station was doing maintenance on some of the equipment. Thank you for your email and if you have any other concerns, please feel free to email us again.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com"

I had this happen on an NBC OTA channel
-- the screen turned yellow
-- but I then went to the ATSC tuner on my set, and it was normal
-- then went back to the OTA on the ViP211 - still yellow
-- then went to the SD version which was normal and then back to the OTA version and it was normal again.

I sent an email to Dish on Dec 19 and got this response on Dec 23. I would always recommend that you send an email to Dish Quality when problems arise.

"Dear Mr. Smith

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We are aware of the issue. This should no longer be a problem. The station was doing maintenance on some of the equipment. Thank you for your email and if you have any other concerns, please feel free to email us again.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

dishquality@echostar.com"
Problem here is three fold:

1. The problem has returned on the NBC channel, so it is still an issue.
2. The problem is now on another LiL channel.
3. Unless the equipment that was to be maintenanced is specific to satellite, this issue did not appear on cable for the same show at the same time.

I may try the address above and see what kind of reply I get.

Second response

Dear Mr. Smith,

When you see the yellow screen (or light green depending on how your TV settings are arranged) on your HD locals, it means we have lost signal into our equipment. This usually happens when the network loses signal such as transmitter failures or one of our carriers goes down. The yellow (light green) screen is great for the trouble shooting process because we know exactly where to head. According to that ticket this station was down for 1 day, five hours, 15 minutes, and 24 seconds. In this case, the station was performing transmitter maintenance.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer. We hope you have a great new year.

dishquality@echostar.com