San Francisco, CA OTA, any channels Directv doesn't carry? Will AM-21 help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
Greetings everyone:

I am a recent subscriber of Directv and have the HR23-700 HD DVR. Anyways, I was wondering what OTA channels Directv is missing from it's lineup in San Francisco other than the KQED Digital Channels which is different from the regular channel 9 and it's HD version that I notice that OTA and Comcast gets. Other than that, is KMTP channel 32 the only other channel missing and will the AM-21 basically get all of those channels? Thanks.

Greetings everyone:

I am a recent subscriber of Directv and have the HR23-700 HD DVR. Anyways, I was wondering what OTA channels Directv is missing from it's lineup in San Francisco other than the KQED Digital Channels which is different from the regular channel 9 and it's HD version that I notice that OTA and Comcast gets. Other than that, is KMTP channel 32 the only other channel missing and will the AM-21 basically get all of those channels? Thanks.

The AM21 should get all the OTA channels that you would normally get with an OTA antenna, nothing more or less.
Basically what you would get if you could hook your OTA up to your TV (tuner)

With the AM21 you could also receive NBC 11---Universal Sports 11.3 and their 24 weather channel 11.2. KGO has Accuweather 7.3 and their home channel on 7.2 (it also repeats some of their newscasts). As you mentioned there are quite a few sub channels for the various PBS's in the market. Also, where are you? You may also receive channels from Sacramento (all their channels are in Walnut Grove). Finally, a lot of the channels don't have their full power/antennas set up yet on Sutro, so you're looking towards October before that work is completed. I have one AM21 set up so I can see Universal Sports, various Weather Channels and KOVR (cbs13) from Sacramento. Sadly, no SF channels are broadcasting Retro TV or This TV. Most of the other sub channels in the market are foregin language channels.

With the AM21, will the entire Bay Area be able to get the SF Digital stations? I have a friend living in the East Bay and only get Sac Town OTA stations and wondering is there a box or antenna strong enough to get SF stations.

The AM21 should get all the OTA channels that you would normally get with an OTA antenna, nothing more or less.
Basically what you would get if you could hook your OTA up to your TV (tuner)
If the channel or subchannel, isn't in D*s database, though, the AM21 won't tune it in.

With the AM21, will the entire Bay Area be able to get the SF Digital stations? I have a friend living in the East Bay and only get Sac Town OTA stations and wondering is there a box or antenna strong enough to get SF stations.

It depends where in the East Bay, remeber you have a lot of hills and Mt. Diablo blocking coverage in many areas. If they are able to get all of the Sac locals while being in the East Bay they're pretty lucky. The strongest stations in the Bay Area currently are KGO and KNTV (NBC11), this should change though once all the major channels get their new antennas set up and moved to the top of Sutro Tower. Most SF stations broadcast from Sutro Tower in SF, while KNTV broadcasts from Mt San Bruno. There are also a few stations from other locations as well (KTEH, KFTY, etc) What it comes down to is which stations does your friend want? Try to aim the antenna in that direction, Sutro Tower and Walnut Grove are almost 180 degrees in oppisite directoins. I have had good luck with the AM21 it seems to pick up the same stations my TV tuner does and my Slingbox Pro-HD does.....

With the AM21 you could also receive NBC 11---Universal Sports 11.3 and their 24 weather channel 11.2. KGO has Accuweather 7.3 and their home channel on 7.2 (it also repeats some of their newscasts). As you mentioned there are quite a few sub channels for the various PBS's in the market. Also, where are you? You may also receive channels from Sacramento (all their channels are in Walnut Grove). Finally, a lot of the channels don't have their full power/antennas set up yet on Sutro, so you're looking towards October before that work is completed. I have one AM21 set up so I can see Universal Sports, various Weather Channels and KOVR (cbs13) from Sacramento. Sadly, no SF channels are broadcasting Retro TV or This TV. Most of the other sub channels in the market are foregin language channels.

When I was looking at the local channels guide, it seems like KQED's digital channels other than the HD and regular KQED would be the one's missing as well as KMTP 32 which was dropped by D. I live in Forest Hill Extension (Laguna Honda and Portola) so I'm very close to Sutro. I never knew you can get OTA all the way from Sacramento. I was thinking of the Zenith Silver, can't remember the exact name for an antenna and getting the AM21.

When I was looking at the local channels guide, it seems like KQED's digital channels other than the HD and regular KQED would be the one's missing as well as KMTP 32 which was dropped by D. I live in Forest Hill Extension (Laguna Honda and Portola) so I'm very close to Sutro. I never knew you can get OTA all the way from Sacramento. I was thinking of the Zenith Silver, can't remember the exact name for an antenna and getting the AM21.

Where you are, I am not sure if you would get Sac locals, too many hills/mtns in the way. Although I have read reports of people in the Santa Cruz Mtns getting KCRA and some SF people seeing KMAX sometimes. It really depends and honestly none of us will truly know until probably the end of Oct when all the work is done. But, that being said with an AM21 you should see pretty much all of the SF locals with their sub channels. Currently only KGO, KNTV, and KQED seem to really be using their sub-channels though, down the line I would think we'll see more. The SF/Oak/SJ DMA still has no THIS! Tv or RTN affilate, I would think that'd have to change sometime soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts