San Francisco Local Q: Why isn't KQED available in HD yet?

its4us2think

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I am surprised that Dish hasn't put KQED in HD yet. Is it something to do with the feed KQED can give or a decision of Dish to air the HD?

Anyone with info on this?

Thanks.

Over the next 4 years, the FCC requires Dish (and DirecTV) to add ALL the HD locals in any market where they have ANY locals in HD. This is phased in gradually (there are targets each year).

So, it will happen eventually.

The new satellite which will go online at 129 in a week or two, has lots of spotbeams, including ones for San Francisco, so it might even happen in the next month or two...

Over the next 4 years, the FCC requires Dish (and DirecTV) to add ALL the HD locals in any market where they have ANY locals in HD. This is phased in gradually (there are targets each year).

So, it will happen eventually.

The new satellite which will go online at 129 in a week or two, has lots of spotbeams, including ones for San Francisco, so it might even happen in the next month or two...

That's why I said "yet" because I'm really hoping that 129 will give E* the bandwidth needed for PBS. BTW, I see TP 15 on 129 is showing Spotbeam for the Bay Area. I know it's just the tables and not the actual signal from Ciel 2 but that's a good sign.

Thanks for the info Garys, I wasn't aware that Hawaii and Alaska have PBS already.

I'm in sanfransico area too..we do have PBS..just not in HD yet for years..plus we should get CW/ in HD too..D/TV got CW/IN HD since summer!! just damn dish always behind!

I'm in sanfransico area too..we do have PBS..just not in HD yet for years..plus we should get CW/ in HD too..D/TV got CW/IN HD since summer!! just damn dish always behind!

Actually, prior to 2008, Dish was way ahead of DirecTV in HD for several years...

In 2009, Dish has a western satellite reaching 129 in a week or two, and then in a few months, they have an eastern satellite launching, and those will give them equal or better capacity.

Since I know KQED had a great HD signal, I have called them about this and got a great response. The story is that both Dish and Direct use the same HD broadcast unit in SF, but it is overloaded. So, instead of upgrading their equipment in the area, they choose to send KQED from another inferior unit. Thus the poor signal and lack of HD-ness. The KQED rep indicated they have agitated hard with both Dish and Direct to get this upgrade done, but without viewer protests as well, nothing will come of it. I have complained to Dish Customer Service, the network I use. Please do the same.

I'm more looking forward to getting the CW than PBS, but anything more is better. DTV has the CW (KBCW) and PBS (KQED), if I remember correctly, and U-Verse here has MyTV, PBS, IND (KOFY), the CW, and another IND (KICU) all in HD.

I figure since San Diego and Los Angeles both got their CW's this year, San Francisco can't be too far down the list after them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts