San Francisco vs. Sacramento.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

poodle_strudels

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I hope somebody here can answer my question. I live in Fairfield, CA, where there's an interesting predicament in regards to my locals. Comcast offers San Francisco locals (the main reason why many of my friends in the area are still with them) while Dish/DirecTV offer Sacramento locals. Why is this? Is there any other way to get San Francisco locals on DirecTV other then changing an adress?

PS: I already went to the FCC with the question, and they essentially said, "ask your cable provider."

Is there anyone who knows why DirecTV and DishNET locals are different then the cable providers?

poodle, at one time (I believe 1-2 years ago) Fairfield did receive the SF channels via Dish/DTV, as Fairfield was in the SF DMA. I know this because I live in Vacaville and we have always received the Sacramento channels and I wanted the SF channels and I thought about moving my address to my son's apartment in Fairfield. Somewhere along the line Fairfield was changed over to the Sacramento DMA, how this happened I don't know. Comcast in Fairfield and Vacaville both show SF channels, but Sat Co's were prohibited by law to do so. This has now changed, but it is unknown if the Sat Co's will allow significant viewed stations to be shown. Until they do so I don't know of any other way of getting the SF locals. Meanwhile, have you tried for waivers? Fox 40 has given me a waiver and I receive both NY/LA feeds for Fox (HD and SD). I know this does not get you the SF channels but I like to time shift for the Fox programs.

The local affiliates lay claim to you by zip code and your DBS provider is bound by FCC law to only send who claims you. As we have been fighting for a long time, not ALL rules are equally applied between cable and DBS; they almost always favor cable. Ask your CLOSEST local affiliate why you are not in their DMA.

Thank you fo the information guys. I have a much better grasp of the situation now. It just rattled my brain a little bit. I might try for the waiver, but the only real reason for getting SF stations is that part of the news covered applies to fairfield. I hope something happens to TV leglislation to change it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)