Sanity check ... can someone confirm what I was told today by Dish rep who called?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cancel your order now. Don't leave anything to chance by cancelling too close to the appointment date. 722s are not going away, the signal is not becoming incompatible, and in the way-off chance that there is something specific about your situation that does require an equipment change, then you can reschedule an appointment on your terms down the road.

Cancel now, ask questions later!

Glad you got some answers and it wasn't a scam.

Hopefully they have the call recorded to see what was said on the call, as if what was told to you was indeed what was said then someone might need some more training or something else... :D

Again welcome to SatelliteGuys, if you know anyone with Satellite related issues let them know about us, as we are here to help! That is what we do. :D

Dude just chill. It's just tv. For someone who claims not to have time to learn about a new system, etc the time taking to post these big posts is a lot. Just cancel the work order and be done. Your 722s will stay working just fine.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dude just chill. It's just tv. For someone who claims not to have time to learn about a new system, etc the time taking to post these big posts is a lot. Just cancel the work order and be done. Your 722s will stay working just fine.
As far as I know the order was canceled, and I do believe the member should know whats going on with the account. the DIRT team is working with the user and I don't think you can ask for better then that. :D

I gotta say that's a pretty messed up way to try to get more money out of a person and lock them into another contract... Makes you wonder how many other people they did this to?

DISH does have employees that make outbound calls. These calls can come from many different departments. The mail team sits adjacent to us and makes outbound calls all day. The terminology used is incorrect but we were able to determine that this was call made by the Loyalty Department based on the notes on the account. This is all we would be able to say about this situation but the OP can share what Ray discussed with her if she'd like.

Why did the Loyalty dept ask for his full credit card number when you are sending out email messages that include these terms saying you won't ask for this personal information?

I hope the call was recorded so you can review your own policies and match what you are emailing to customers. As far as i'm concerned anyone cold calling me asking for even one digit of my credit card is a 100% scammer and should be treated that way.

note the bolded part in the dish email below:

Dear Robert,

In the past, DISH customers have reported being contacted by people who claim to be DISH representatives collecting money for special promotions or upgrades. For example, some of these callers have offered DISH customers 50% off the normal price of service if they receive an upfront payment via Western Union or Green Dot.They may also ask for DISH account information or personal information, such as security codes, passwords or credit card numbers. These callers are not affiliated with DISH and are not authorized to provide offers.

This message is to remind you that DISH will never call you asking for this or any other information that you have already provided to us. You may be asked to provide this information when you contact DISH directly to verify that you are authorized to access the account and/or make changes.

If you receive a call requesting a payment in exchange for a promotion or upgrade, do not provide any information and disconnect the call. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474), or chat with us online at mydish.com/chat.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer..

Yeah, as sparc says, something doesn't add up here. This is more than just a poorly trained employee.

Man talk about an uniformed loyalty rep! With all these scams going on, and dish even alerting the customers, they sure need to do a much better job teaching the folks that make these calls!

Shortly after I switched from a 119/110/61.5 setup to an Eastern Arc dish, I had Dish start relentlessly calling me to switch me to a Western Arc dish. No amount of arguing would persuade them that they didn't know what the hell they were talking about. (This was somebody in India or somewhere rather than the United States, but they really were calling on behalf of Dish, as far as I could tell.) Eventually I called my dealer and told them that they needed to get it sorted out, and it took them several calls to do so. So, there really are some clueless customer service people at Dish, AND apparently some real incompetence on the part of whoever maintains their customer database.

Why did the Loyalty dept ask for his full credit card number when you are sending out email messages that include these terms saying you won't ask for this personal information?

I hope the call was recorded so you can review your own policies and match what you are emailing to customers. As far as i'm concerned anyone cold calling me asking for even one digit of my credit card is a 100% scammer and should be treated that way.

We can not discuss this issue any further but I can let you know it is being investigated internally.

Shortly after I switched from a 119/110/61.5 setup to an Eastern Arc dish, I had Dish start relentlessly calling me to switch me to a Western Arc dish. No amount of arguing would persuade them that they didn't know what the hell they were talking about. (This was somebody in India or somewhere rather than the United States, but they really were calling on behalf of Dish, as far as I could tell.) Eventually I called my dealer and told them that they needed to get it sorted out, and it took them several calls to do so. So, there really are some clueless customer service people at Dish, AND apparently some real incompetence on the part of whoever maintains their customer database.
Again, this goes beyond incompetence. This is fraud, according to Dish's own warning letter. NO Dish employee who initiates the call will ask you for your credit card number or other personal information. If this truly came from a Dish department, then that employee needs to be fired at the very least.

Reading this thread and going off what has been said by the OP and Dish so far - I want to say the OP in my mind has been more than fair and patient with Dish and I hope Dish makes right by the OP. My other hope is Dish follows through on this investigation to see if this was just a rogue employee or something else like pushy sales/marketing policies or not enough training and corrects it because I would be very put off by any company doing this to me.

Last edited:
Upgrades require a cc when processing the order even when there is 1 on file.

The terminology used is incorrect but we were able to determine that this was call made by the Loyalty Department based on the notes on the account.
That "Eric" warned that something was going to soon brick the TS's (or anyone else's) ViP722 is not a matter of incorrect terminology.

The ViP722 (and all other ViP series boxes) will continue to work for the foreseeable future.

Because this one has gone as far as it can go, I am making the decision to close this one for now...

Since this one has gotten noticed by higher up an investigation is now in progress and it really does not good for everyone to speculate as alls your doing is working up your own blood pressure.

With that said if we or the OP has an update to post later we will either in this thread or in a new thread.

Thanks guys for your understanding. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)