Sanity check ... can someone confirm what I was told today by Dish rep who called?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pikay,

Please PM me your account number so I can review the notes on the account, which should be on the account. Please let me know so I can assist you further. Thanks.

Thank you all for the replies. I will call Dish today and cancel the order.

Here's the thing that seemed so weird to me ... the guy DID ask for my "full" credit card number at the end of the (very long) call, because the work order "required it" so that Dish could place a temporary charge ($1) against the card in the event that I failed to return the Hopper equipment if I cancelled the account down the road. I wasn't THAT naive, though. I pointed out that Dish already had my card on account. He said that this was separate, and I said that I was sorry, but that he'd called me, and I had no idea who he really was or if he was even really calling from Dish at all. In order to give him my credit card number, I'd have to be able to call him back through a number on the official Dish site ... and while I was explaining this, I was doing a quick Google search trying to connect "Dish" with the 888 number he'd provided for himself earlier, and turning nothing up.

He said that he would take the personal risk of putting through the work order without the full credit card number if I promised to update this information following the installation, and I figured what the heck, by then I'll know if this is legitimate, so whatever.

An hour later, the appointment is showing up in "My Appointments" in "My Dish" account online ... so I'm thinking, well, I guess this guy must have been legit ... except that then I can't find anything on the Web about a new satellite launch causing Dish to need to replace a ton of existing customer equipment, and that FEELS to me like the sort of campaign that would create some buzz.

I've never bought equipment through a retailer, always directly through Dish, so I have no idea how this guy got our info if not a Dish guy ... account must have been compromised if so ... but wouldn't he have access to the R00 numbers, too, if so? (I'm not looking at the account online right at the moment, but I thought I remembered all that info being available under My Equipment somewhere) ...

Very weird, all around.

Anyway, will call Dish and try to get a more definitive idea from someone there what the deal is. Presumably, if this order came from a retailer, they'll be able to figure out who it came from and be able to get to the bottom of it.

And no offense was intended to Hopper fans by my expressed hesitation ... I have no experience with the system whatsoever (have never even seen it), so don't have any reason to bash it. I just have some concerns about whether it will work well for us. We had DirecTV as a "backup" system for some years here in the mountains, and loved it (back in the 2002/2003 timeframe, I think) ... but sometime in the last 5 years, we found the on-screen menu displays became much harder for us to read. I can't remember exactly all of what changed, but I think the text became smaller (probably to accommodate other on-screen promos or design elements), switched to light letters on a dark background, etc. .. probably all things that looked great to the designers and younger eyes, but was annoying to us. I was 40 at the time and my husband was 45 (so he was already dealing with presbyopia ... me, not yet) ... and this was watching a 32" HDTV from a distance of 6 feet. We also found the system had become sluggish to respond to commands, and didn't like various other software changes ... so, sadly, dropped it and stuck with Dish. Anyway, that was 5 or 6 years ago ... our eyes are even OLDER now. ;-) It was with this in mind that reading people's complaints about "gray on gray" readability issues with Hopper menus gave me a slightly queasy feeling ... especially since the complaints had been going on for something like a year and a half, which made me think that a corporate-level decision had been made that the issue must be limited to people with bad eyes or bad TVs and that there was no real need to try to improve readability.

Also still a bit concerned about Internet dependency issues, but that's something I'll have to research when I have time ... for now, will zero in on calling Dish and finding out what they can tell me about last night's adventure.

Thanks all ...

Don't call Dish, PM your account number to Ray, see 2 posts above. Ray works for Dish and he will get you taken care of.....

Yes you by PMing Ray might be able to help DISH figure out who or what company is doing these things. Please PM Ray!

Hi, all, yes, I PM'd Ray. :) Sorry about the confusion -- he posted while I was writing my last reply, so I hadn't seen his reply yet when I posted mine. Will be interested to hear back what he finds out ...

Thanks

Yes you by PMing Ray might be able to help DISH figure out who or what company is doing these things. Please PM Ray!

I doubt they will figure out who is hacking into their system.

I helped them with a hacker several years ago. Turns out they gave a call center in Pakistan access to the customer billing system so they could call on behalf of HBO and sell people HBO subscriptions, and a few smart people working the call center saw how they could use the info to scam a few new accounts and upgrades.

Eric explained that Dish had launched “a new HD satellite” and was running a months-long, nationwide campaign to ensure all existing customers would be able to receive signals from it, and needed to run a remote test to make sure my Dish receivers could receive signals from this new dish (something to do with "frequency compatibility"?).
Here's your first sign. DISH hasn't launched any Western Arc satellites that might use advanced technology for over five years (Ciel 2 in December 2008).
He explained that this meant my 722s would basically cease to receive Dish programming when "the switchover" to the new HD dish was completed at some unspecified (but imminent, as in "possibly within a month") time.
The upcoming transition will NOT affect any of the ViP series receivers/DVRs.

What will be impacted are the 301 and 50x series boxes and that will be when they start using a different modulation scheme for SD programming on the Western Arc.

New HD dishes would only come with a fundamental change to DISH's technology base; something akin to establishing the Eastern Arc with a new set of satellites.

This Eric person is a very convincing liar.

This is one of the great things about Satelliteguys. Lots of good advice and the DIRT (Dish) team on top of it. If something fishy is going on, you may save a bunch of people (and Dish) a lot of grief.

This is one of the great things about Satelliteguys. Lots of good advice and the DIRT (Dish) team already investigating. If something fishy is going on, you may save a bunch of people (and Dish) a lot of grief.

There are no new satellites up there so that part of the pitch is BS for sure.
Only receivers being changed out are some ancient ones and the poster does have any of those receivers.

I agree this all sounds very fishy, and I'm interested in hearing what becomes of it. BUT, those who are immediately jumping to "scam" (and I'm not saying they're wrong), how do you explain the appointment made over the phone showing up in the OP's online account? If the account was hacked, would the hacker go through the trouble of putting in false upgrade request?

I agree this all sounds very fishy, and I'm interested in hearing what becomes of it. BUT, those who are immediately jumping to "scam" (and I'm not saying they're wrong), how do you explain the appointment made over the phone showing up in the OP's online account? If the account was hacked, would the hacker go through the trouble of putting in false upgrade request?

It's probably a dealer scam. The dealer has access to the system....

It's probably a dealer scam. The dealer has access to the system....

From the OP:

"I've never bought equipment through a retailer, always directly through Dish, so I have no idea how this guy got our info if not a Dish guy"

From the OP:

"I've never bought equipment through a retailer, always directly through Dish, so I have no idea how this guy got our info if not a Dish guy"

A local dealer could look in the system to see who in their area has service and could 'scam' for upgrades. It happens.....

You can't just scan the retail care site without some sort of input. There is a security breach somewhere for this guys info to get out there. Then on the other hand many people signup with retailers like GoDish fully thinking they are signing up directly through dish. If that's the case some of them do archive information that can easily be retrieved.

From the OP:

A local dealer could look in the system to see who in their area has service and could 'scam' for upgrades. It happens.....
Or, maybe someone from a contracted call center? Or, an Audit Team member, or some other unscrupulous Dish employee? But, most likely a sleazy dealer, as a few have suggested.

100% scam. Dish has recently sent out a lot of warning emails about these types of scammers.

The basic problem is that Dish gives access to our information to third parties and they can pretend to be Dish when they are some other company trying to screw you over. They'll pretend there's some new equipment or satellite or promotion when there usually isn't. It's slightly easier scam to pull off now that there really is new Dish equipment like the Hopper.

Basic rule of thumb is to never give out any personally identifying information over the phone to someone who is calling you. Especially birth dates, credit cards, social security, etc. I can understand if you called the main Dish 1-800 number, but these scammers called you and started trying to gain access to your account.

Many many scam threads on this forum over years about people pretending to be Dish. Heck, i've posted a bunch of them myself. Still nothing done about it...

It's a bit different, but a bit similar. This is the email I got a week or two back:

Dear Robert,

In the past, DISH customers have reported being contacted by people who claim to be DISH representatives collecting money for special promotions or upgrades. For example, some of these callers have offered DISH customers 50% off the normal price of service if they receive an upfront payment via Western Union or Green Dot. They may also ask for DISH account information or personal information, such as security codes, passwords or credit card numbers. These callers are not affiliated with DISH and are not authorized to provide offers.

This message is to remind you that DISH will never call you asking for this or any other information that you have already provided to us. You may be asked to provide this information when you contact DISH directly to verify that you are authorized to access the account and/or make changes.

If you receive a call requesting a payment in exchange for a promotion or upgrade, do not provide any information and disconnect the call. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474), or chat with us online at mydish.com/chat.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)