sansung lcd monitor to satellite box

schaefly

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
philadelphia, pa
I wanted to hook up a new Samsung 22" LCD monitor to my existing dish network box. I currently have a tv hooked up to it.
the LCD monitor has a dvi in and rgb in and my box jsut has the s-video. Is this possible? If so what would I need? I called dish and of course I was told they are not trained on this and couldnt help me.
Also need to know about hooking up my speakers
Lynn

just regular stereo speakers and an old kenwood reciever. I am not too concerned about good sound, it is for my bedroom. I was trying to save money and space but now I am considering returning the LCD and buying a small flat screen TV. thoughts?

Sorry I meant what kind of dish network receiver, what model number? If it is an HD one with an HDMI output there are HDMI to DVI adapters out there which will probably let it plug into a monitor.
The regular audio out lines (from the dish network receiver) should work for the audio to the receiver.

I am not aware of a Dish network box that has only S-video output. It should also have composite and RF outputs.

You appear to be conducting a shotgun wedding between two incompatible technologies.

Your computer monitor may not be able to display the output of your receiver.

maybe i should call dish again and ask them why there are no composite and RF ports. I have only had the reciever for one yr. model number is dish332 I really appreciate your help!

According to Dish literature the 322 has S-Video, composite and RF for TV1 and composite and RF for TV2, but none of these output types will match your monitor with RGB and DVI.

You might investigate getting a card for your computer that has s-video input and using the RGB output from the PC video card.

VGA to S-Video/RCA adapter for $2.04
For only $1.36 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to S-Video/RCA (Composite) Adapter Cable - Black | VGA to Svideo/RCA

To hook up the receiver to the monitor just connect this adapter to the receiver and use a monitor cable to connect to the monitor.

For sound, hook up the audio output of the sat receiver to the audio amp/receiver in any line level input and hook up the speakers to the receiver. The remote will work the volume of most receivers. Look for the code in your sat receiver's manual. Also look for instructions on how to get your remote to automatically control the audio amp/receiver's volume while the remote is in the sat mode. It's easy on most of the dish remotes.

Another option (since it looks like that adapter is sold out)
VGA to component (http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2409&seq=1&format=2)
This item is also available in 6, 12 and 25 foot lengths.
Component to S-Video (http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023506&p_id=3044&seq=1&format=2)

See ya
Tony

Neither of those will do what you think they'll do. In fact, it specifically says so in the descriptions. They're for people who have video cards that put all their outputs on one connector. (Usually such a card will come with the appropriate breakout cable, so I'm not sure why there's even a market for these.)

I noticed that actually. What do you mean by You might investigate getting a card for your computer that has s-video input and using the RGB output from the PC video card. So do i need to have my computer hooked up to the monitor at all times? Doyou think my only option would be to see if dish would replace my reciever with one with the compatible ports? If they would do it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)