Sat 105 unavailable on 522/322

bravehog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Hi Folks. Newbie here. Just had E* installed yesterday. Got the DHA package, with a superdish, plus 522/322 receivers.

I'm receiving all my channels except for the locals. My locals are on sat 105, but neither receiver can get a connection to it. The installer worked on it a little, but never could get them to work. After reviewing all the connections and testing the switches several times, he said that this is a common problem for these receivers and that they usually "just start working" in a couple of days.

I called E*, and they said that the receiver's shouldn't be the problem, and they will send the installer back out to look at the dish positioning. I don't have confidence that he will fix the problem. Also, E* said that the locals should come in on transponder 23. However, I'm showing a signal on transponder 22, with a signal strength of 52.

Is there something simple I could do to correct this? I know there are lots of experienced people here, so I thought I'd try here first. I'd appreciate any tips or help you could provide. Thanks!

I'm hoping that will do it. However, I'm a bit concerned that the transponder I'm supposed to be using has 0 signal strength (actually, I think it says it's locked. I'm currently at work, so I'm not sure what the actual message is). If the installer is not willing/able to tweak the dish, are there any tips for doing this myself? Thanks!

bravehog said:
I'm hoping that will do it. However, I'm a bit concerned that the transponder I'm supposed to be using has 0 signal strength (actually, I think it says it's locked. I'm currently at work, so I'm not sure what the actual message is). If the installer is not willing/able to tweak the dish, are there any tips for doing this myself? Thanks!

He will be willing... able is another issue. when tweaking move extremely slowly and it doesnt hurt to be able to see the signal strength. Whatever transponder your locals are on will have some sort of signal (when aligned properly) the CSR may not have known the right transponder (CSR roulette). You are probably inside a Spot Beam and some transponders will have zero Signal strength.

bravehog said:

which locals are we talking about?

if we klnow that, then we should be able to tell you which TP they're on...

Otherwise, check out www.dishchannelchart.com and scroll down to your cities locals. It says which TP and satellite they're on :)

4 of the stations are on TP23 on 105
KHBS (ABC)
KFSM (CBS)
KPOM (NBC)
KBPI (FOX)
1 station is on TP5 on 110
KAFT (PBS)

so if you aren't getting anything on TP23, then there is an issue

Yes, and with both receivers having the same issue, I tend to think that the installer was wrong with his assessment that it is a receiver problem. Hopefully, tweaking the dish is the easy fix to this problem.

it sounds like a tweaking issue

the best thing to do is in the menu, do 6-1-1 (this will put you in the signal screen), make sure its checked for 105 and where it says Transponder, change it to 23 and that will tell you what the signal is. If it says "locked" what happens when you tune to the channel?

( I know you're at work so you wont know right now :))

Actually, Iceberg, I did this procedure several times last night (I think I have this procedure burned into my head :). I changed it to 23, and that's where I get the 0 strength. If I look at TP 22, I show the strength to be 52. The installer actually told me to keep checking the switches periodically and the locals would eventually work.

Would it help to power off the receivers and try to redo the initial software downloads? Even though it doesn't look like a receiver issue?

that seems weird...yuo should get a signal even on TP's that you dont have any programming on...as an example, If I had a SD setup and went to TP23, I should have a signal reading

You might want to do a hard reset. On the machine, press and hold down the power button until the light goes out, let go and let the system reset itself. Hopefully that would help.

OK...I just got off the phone with my installer. They said that there is a problem with the satellite configuration for the 105 sat. in my area. I'm not sure that I believe this, so I call E* and they agreed that this is "probably" the issue with my locals, and to wait it out 24-48 hours to see if it corrects itself. Have any of you ever heard of this?

This is pretty frustrating, seeing that I switched to E* because of local channel availability.

bravehog said:
OK...I just got off the phone with my installer. They said that there is a problem with the satellite configuration for the 105 sat. in my area. I'm not sure that I believe this, so I call E* and they agreed that this is "probably" the issue with my locals, and to wait it out 24-48 hours to see if it corrects itself. Have any of you ever heard of this?

This is pretty frustrating, seeing that I switched to E* because of local channel availability.

huh?
Never heard of that before...you should be able to get all of them and your installer should have stayed until they were up and running.

You might want ot call the tech department...

TP23 houses both Ft Smith, AR locals and Quad Cities (Davenport & Bettendorf, IA and Rock Island ans Moline, IL) locals, so other people should have the same issue if the installer is right.

Anybody else out in those areas having issues with their locals?

Update:

OK...I woke up this morning, and tested the switch on the 322 receiver. Suddenly, I'm able to connect to the 105 sat, and have locals on this receiver! So I go and test the 522, and still have no luck getting locals. Now I have locals on 1/2 of my system. Hopefully, the 522 will begin picking them up soon.

you're getting there.

That seems dumb that Dish hasn't fixed that issue yet. Locals should be on right away, not 2 days later

IIRC, I saw a thread somewhere that was talking about the 105-7 transponder being sick and they were moving it's channels to 105-10.

Could take a while for it to catch up all around. Try unplugging the 522. If no help, call E* and ask for a re-authorization hit - it might help.

Both receivers have locals as of this morning. I did a switch test this morning on the 522, and it finally recognized all three sats. I wonder if this had anything to do with the new software download for the 522? I noticed that my software version changed between last night and this morning. I can now switch to single mode on my 522, which is great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts