SAT. 118

This is an incredibly confusing question. What do you mean changed? Are you talking about the 8PSK conversion?

Reactions: Panda
I'd call the question seriously ambiguous. But I suspect you (Chad) are right and it's about the 8PSK conversion. I hadn't heard that 118 was going to be converted at all. Have you heard anything?

Sorry, I meant to ask if 118 is also getting 8PSK conversion ? If yes, when would that be ?
On 110 the symbol rate was changed to 21500
and in some forum it said that 119 is getting converted on 20 Aug ...

Sorry, I meant to ask if 118 is also getting 8PSK conversion ? If yes, when would that be ?
On 110 the symbol rate was changed to 21500
and in some forum it said that 119 is getting converted on 20 Aug ...
I already asked Scott this question in the sticky thread about the 8PSK conversion. I haven't gotten a reply yet. In the earlier 8PSK conversion thread, when I asked when my 501 would stop working for anything, Scott said "by the end of August," but that was before the time-table for 110 and 119 got pushed back. So, until we get an updated answer, my best guess is that the remaining QPSK channels will be converted to 8PSK in September.

Well, it is a good question. I had thought 118 was NOT included only because of the relative few (compared to the vast majority on the WA) who access 118 that it would be a way for Dish to save some money in the long run, even though some accessing 118 ALSO access the rest of the WA for English language channels. Here is my guess and only IMHO: if one subscribes to Internationals ONLY, then probably not changed out because of saving money and eventually moving all international access to on-line DishWorld in the years to come.
Then Dish no longer needs 118 since the slot and sat are both leased.

It would be good to hear from International ONLY subscribers to learn if they had a required change-out.

Well, it is a good question. I had thought 118 was NOT included only because of the relative few (compared to the vast majority on the WA) who access 118 that it would be a way for Dish to save some money in the long run, even though some accessing 118 ALSO access the rest of the WA for English language channels. Here is my guess and only IMHO: if one subscribes to Internationals ONLY, then probably not changed out because of saving money and eventually moving all international access to on-line DishWorld in the years to come.
Then Dish no longer needs 118 since the slot and sat are both leased.

It would be good to hear from International ONLY subscribers to learn if they had a required change-out.
Aren't international subscribers required to subscribe to a basic package (either International Basic or Chinese Basic) that also includes some basic English-language channels from the other satellites?

This is my theory, the minimum SNR ratio (signal to noise) at 118 and the dish 500+ size does not meet the requirement for doing 8PSK reliably since Anik F3 is not a DBS satellite, I think I remember that they tried converting the Racetrack Television transponders to 8PSK when they moved them from 95 west but the SNR was not there in various parts of the footprint so they were stuck with QPSK. The higher Bitrate / Bandwidth of 8PSK requires a higher signal to noise ratio not possible on the present FSS 118 non DBS power satellite.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/interactive/Anik-F3-North-America-Ku.html

Reactions: the mack
You cannot operate a receiver only connected to 118 as the EPG setup has never allowed that for whatever reason. These would have to remain QPSK for a 501 to work on 118.

129 tp21

110 tp21

119 tp19

You cannot operate a receiver only connected to 118 as the EPG setup has never allowed that for whatever reason.
My receiver is connected to all four Western Arc satellites. Are you saying that once 110 and 119 are fully converted to 8PSK, and the guide information disappears, then my 501 will no longer be authorized for anything?

Unless they add something to 118 (not likely) these transponders would have to remain QPSK for a 501 to work on 118.

129 tp21

110 tp21

119 tp19

or

121 tp21

just one, you can also add 121 tp21 to that list which is going to remain QPSK for the same reasons as 118.

Dishworld is not a viable solution as its sling/internet based and does not have a dvr option. From my knowledge the International package are now considered as a basic package and you don't need to subscribe to any thing more. You do need the dish 500+ to get the 118 with the guide as the guide is pulled from the other sats.

They will be adding additional international HD channels to 118. My theory was if they replicated the channels of 118 onto 77. then the internationals, specially in the east can use the one dish solution as well.

Dishworld is not a viable solution as its sling/internet based and does not have a dvr option. From my knowledge the International package are now considered as a basic package and you don't need to subscribe to any thing more. You do need the dish 500+ to get the 118 with the guide as the guide is pulled from the other sats.

They will be adding additional international HD channels to 118. My theory was if they replicated the channels of 118 onto 77. then the internationals, specially in the east can use the one dish solution as well.
They use to do that with 61.5 and then transitioned everything to 118.7. I have never been clear as to why, but I am sure they have their purpose.