Sat 77?

77 in Ohio!? This is odd...

77 is meant to serve Mexico. Probably a badly aligned 61.5 dish.

77 will show up on all Dishnetwork receivers that are capable of seeing it (Dish Pro ones). Of course when you go to point a dish at it, if you are not in the south, you probably will not be able to pick up a signal. If you point a dish at 61.5 (or another sat) and try to pick up 77 the signal meter will say wrong sat and tell you the one you are really looking at.

I wasn't picking it up, I just hadn't seen it on the list before. Thanks for all the info on it.

LOL. Remember the AMC 1975 Pacer?? The worlds ugliest car ever.:D

Sorry. I could not resist.

Back on topic!!

Back on topic, they are using the old Echostar 4 satellite which is actually on a tilt...

The satellite should have replaced Echostar 1 at 119°W which would then have moved to 148°W (where only 24 transponders have been granted to Echostar) After launch, the satellite has experienced anomalies in connection with solar panel deployment (two of five panels on one solar array have not unfolded). Several transponders are not operational. As a result, Echostar 4 did not replace Echostar 1. In Jul 1999 furthen anomalies with the heating and fuel systems were reported. Only 16 transponders are reported still operational.

TSE - Echostar 4

going to be used for a Mexican satellite service (Dish Mexico)...most of the US cannot see it

Iceberg,

While its possible the 77 Orbital slot is going to be used for a Satellite service for Mexico, I believe it is going to one of three Orbital slots that are to be used for the new MPEG4 only service. A Single Dish could easily be able to receive Three Slots 61.5, 68, and 77. If Dish does use three Orbital slots with 32 transponders licenses at each slot in MPEG4 using 8PSK, they could provide all current SD content, cover 70-80 percent of the US Population for local HD Markets, as well as 150 plus National HD channels.

John

Iceberg,

While its possible the 77 Orbital slot is going to be used for a Satellite service for Mexico, I believe it is going to one of three Orbital slots that are to be used for the new MPEG4 only service. A Single Dish could easily be able to receive Three Slots 61.5, 68, and 77. If Dish does use three Orbital slots with 32 transponders licenses at each slot in MPEG4 using 8PSK, they could provide all current SD content, cover 70-80 percent of the US Population for local HD Markets, as well as 150 plus National HD channels.

John

John,

Looking at the footprint for 77W, it doesn't look like 77W covers the US.

Spot Beam and Coverage Maps

Plus right now E* has permission to operate this satellite for Mexico services only. But that can change fast. :)

Iceberg,

John

This is the first I have heard of anyone considering use of 68 W for a DBS slot. More likely are the 62.15 W, 75 W and 79 W "reverse DBS" slots that Dish has applied for. Of course Dish would have to have new satellites built to use these "reverse DBS" slots.

With the launch of the AMC-14 satellite to 61.5 W, Dish should be able to provide an all MPEG-4 service that has all the current SD content except that which is also provided in HD, 150 HD channels and still have about 8 TPs for spotbeams using the E-12 satellite that is already there. This assumes that Dish moves all the International programming from 61.5 and that Dish could do about 36 SD channels per TP using MPEG-4 and about 8 HD channels per TP.

It was mentioned another project - could be HD LiL co-located on DTV/E* sats with two different encryption systems but same channels ? Then 61.5W and 72.5W would be the candidates.

Actually E* has permission to broadcast to up to 1 million dishes in the US from 77.

I didnt know about that. Is there a link you can provide? I know E5 has permission for 1 million dishes, although I would take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that Dish has more than 1million subs pointed there right now...

I didnt know about that. Is there a link you can provide? I know E5 has permission for 1 million dishes, although I would take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that Dish has more than 1million subs pointed there right now...

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-868A1.pdf

It is possible they have 1 million subs pointed at 129, but you have to remember a lot point to 61.5 for HD. It is hard to say if they have reached it or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)