Sat 77

I noticed that yesterday Dish removed it seems most of not all content from 77. I'm not very adept at reading or understanding these activities but it is interesting.

Well ain’t that interesting, this Wally was unplugged, and I have not taken an update since July, software W506. Which tells me if 77 is truly going away this was designed to be disabled at a certain date.

Edit: Hopper 3 also missing the 77 option, although it’s running off a DPH42 WA.
Edit #2: Also gone on my 211z, guess that just confirms it….

Attachments

• 819E866A-5A50-4639-81DF-8B43707FA20D.jpeg
    819E866A-5A50-4639-81DF-8B43707FA20D.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I noticed this last night. Probably unrelated, but my 722 was rebooting every 30 minutes or so. This morning I ran another check switch. 77 is just gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethanlerma
I work on sat TV systems on boats that use the 77W. Yesterday afternoon the signal went away. The satellite tracking system could still track the satellite, but the Dish signal meter had nothing. I have confirmed this on at least a dozen boats. This satellite is also used for Dish Mexico, so I am going to be testing that to confirm it is still in use.

I have a VIP211k, which is quite old, no longer has ago dropdown for 77 when I go to installation then "point dish". So there was some update that removed that option.

Seeing 77 go away is unfortunate, but not unexpected. I will miss it though, when we're in locations where 61.5 and 72 are a bit to wide spread to hit through a hole in the trees.

Reactions: charlesrshell
this is all related from a previous thread HERE from June they've been making big changes and now for all the skeptical who posted this was becase they wanted to avoid people out of the US to receive US content.......Now it would be interesting to see what they have to say....

My guess for these changes (the order has nothing to do with priority):
A.- Need more space for Dish Mexico service (Medcom Group 51% & Dish 49%).
B.- Dishnetwork agreement with Quetszat 1 ends by November 2021 (of course they could extend year by year as needed or until the Satellite expires).
C.- S.B. Capability (posted by nelson 61 in other thread "Echostar 23 is being relocated to 110°W as spare") Echostar 23 has the following configuration: Its communications payload consists of 32 Ku-Band transponders as well Ka- and S-Band payloads. Can't find that it's Spot Beam capable.

If this is true, they need to prepare for the expiration date of Echostar X (49 Spot Beam Capable) that might be due by 2/25/2022. They actually have even or close SB capability in east (EXVI & EXVIII@61.5°W) & west (EIV@ 119°W & EX@110°W) arc; After EX end of life they will have less SB capability in West arc. What I need to fit here is the reason of freeing CONUS TP's......
I posted this back on June 23.....Seems the Option B was the real option.....
Their first and unique priority was to migrate all the locals to other orbital slots to continue providing for their customers.....
They even didn't care about most SD out of 77°W as a matter of fact SD is only complete in West Arc, East Arc is mostly HD that by the way I can't understand why they still are broadcasting SD and HD I do understand the SD if the provider will only have a SD feed (not 100% probable as most customers should have at least a 720p or 1080i tv Set).

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
This wasn’t a big surprise if I remember correctly this was supposed to happen a few months ago.
The only surprise for me was the reason, no one here had an answer for the reason of the migration, I was guessing, and one of my guesses was the leasing contract with Quetzsat was due on November 2021, now the puzzle is complete (at least for me), I could say that Dish doesn't have the cash flow to use 40% of orbital slot 77°W not even with 49% shares with Mexican Group (Medcom) that is currently using the other 60% of the satellite probably Dish Mexico is next in line unless the move was for more bandwidth for the Dish Mexico service; could be that Dish is on diet, and watching the calories (expenses) indication that times are changing.

Regards.

I hope Rafaelccs is right about expanding the bandwidth for Dish Mexico, hopefully increasing their English language channels. This would expand their market in Latin America greatly.

Hmmm, I expected 77 to be gone from my diagnostics page, but there's no label for 61.5 either. The tuner check marks are there, and the "Satellite 61.5 locked" is there, just no label on the check box chart. I'll try a Test Installation in a little while to see if that fixes it. Nothing serious, just curious...

Last edited:
Hmmm, I expected 77 to be gone from my diagnostics page, but there's no label for 61.5 either. The tuner check marks are there, and the "Satellite 61.5 locked" is there, just no label on the check box chart. I'll try a Test Installation in a little while to see if that fixes it. Nothing serious, just curious...
Ok, the Test Installation routine straightened out the chart labeling, leaving red checks where 77 used to be. I wonder if a future update will eliminate the check for the third EA slot...

Last edited:
Ok, the Test Installation routine straightened out the chart labeling, leaving red checks where 77 used to be. I wonder if a future update will eliminate the check for the third EA slot...
Doubt it, since the Conn. and red X message specifically means that a LNB is detected, but no valid sat signal is present. The firmware on the LNB would have to be modified to permanently disable that specific LNB and I doubt they would even bother. Plus, and I'm guessing you used a 1000.4 EA LNBF, it belongs to port one on the switch, so it's alot harder for a receiver itself to hide it being empty compared to port 3/4 like some portable dishes do when you are only getting 2 sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)