Sat 77

Running a check switch resolves issues on VIP receivers. But it is impossible to correctly install new receivers on 1000.4 dishes now.
Why is that? I've set up my 1000.4 dish on EA a number of times where 77 was not visible with no problems, just the missing check marks on the diagnostics page. The EPG updated as expected. I have not yet tried setting up a new receiver though, so I'm curious about what to expect.

The 77 bird hasn't been needed for the US for several years now. None of the current Eastern Arc LNB's are even aimed at it. The 77 only channels were just a few locals that were easily moved to 72.7 seamlessly to the subscribers in those DMA's.
NYDutch I understand your point, but there must be a reason why they (Dish) requested that 77°W orbital slot they have the FCC blessing. They also had a 10 year lease that expired on November, why would they spill that kind of money if they didn't have a need for that orbital slot? There is always a need for spare? Do you think their end game was to get a hold on orbital slot 77°W only to get the full 32 Transponders for a DBS Mexican service?

Western arc:
129°W (Leased Satellite)16 S.B. & 16 CONUS
119°W (only 21 transponders for Dish & 11 transponders for AT&T) 5 S.B. & 16 CONUS
110°W (only 29 Transponders for Dish & 3 for AT&T) 10 S.B. & 19 CONUS
Total capacity @ Western ARC: 31 S.B. & 51 CONUS

Eastern ARC:
72.7°W (Leased Satellite) 32 CONUS
61.5W 17 CONUS & 15 S.B.
Total capacity @ Eastern ARC: 15 S.B. & 49 CONUS

What do you mean by that? Will a Node for a Hopper 1/2 not work just because one sat is missing? New receivers should just show Conn. on the port and let you continue setup, unless I’m missing something. Also, 1000.4 with a DPH42 switch should work just fine, just don’t connect port 1 (port 2 is 72.1 and 3 is 61.5)

The satellite itself is still there, lyngsat is showing the transponders for Dish Mexico still active, the CONUS transponders are completely blank on the other hand.
Node won't work with this issue. You would expect it to behave as WA showing CONN when missing 129, but missing 77 really messes up the installation process and will cause reboots when attempting the installation, it is genuinely impossible as of now.

A switch would work still yes, but 9/10 the Dish will just be replaced. Although, you can peak a EA Twin DPP LNB on 1000.4, but you really shouldn't if you value your signal.

No kidding. I would have preferred for any disappearing orbitals simply to show loss of signal if you try to select a channel formerly present. I would not expect a receiver to get into a boot loop! If they are going to fail this spectacularly, Dish should have rolled out new firmware w/o any capability of switching to 77 whatsoever.
This is such a major fail it is causing serious issues in my area with scheduling. 9 jobs today. 5 were this. Unreasonable. Customer service needs to be informed on how to fix this OTP, for when possible. Sometimes I have to replace the dish because it's restarting too frequently to run a check switch.

Some of my scheduled recordings are starting late because my VIP 722 receiver is rebooting. I can only assume the rebooting is caused by the receiver trying to find the satellite 77. Where are the DISH Rep's that monitor this site doing about it???

NYDutch I understand your point, but there must be a reason why they (Dish) requested that 77°W orbital slot they have the FCC blessing. They also had a 10 year lease that expired on November, why would they spill that kind of money if they didn't have a need for that orbital slot? There is always a need for spare? Do you think their end game was to get a hold on orbital slot 77°W only to get the full 32 Transponders for a DBS Mexican service?

Western arc:
129°W (Leased Satellite)16 S.B. & 16 CONUS
119°W (only 21 transponders for Dish & 11 transponders for AT&T) 5 S.B. & 16 CONUS
110°W (only 29 Transponders for Dish & 3 for AT&T) 10 S.B. & 19 CONUS
Total capacity @ Western ARC: 31 S.B. & 51 CONUS

Eastern ARC:
72.7°W (Leased Satellite) 32 CONUS
61.5W 17 CONUS & 15 S.B.
Total capacity @ Eastern ARC: 15 S.B. & 49 CONUS
Obviously we're not privy to any plans Dish has for the 77 sat, so we'll have wait and see what transpires. Maybe they'll expand the Latin American coverage. Or not...

61.5 has spot beam/transponders serving most/all of the 210 DMA's in addition to the CONUS beam. I did not attempt to count them. 77 will not be missed by very many subscribers, with most that were receiving it likely not even knowing it's gone.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Some of my scheduled recordings are starting late because my VIP 722 receiver is rebooting. I can only assume the rebooting is caused by the receiver trying to find the satellite 77. Where are the DISH Rep's that monitor this site doing about it???
Dish cant do anything about it remotely especially with a 722, there only option is waiting for you to call (or not breaking it in the first place would be a lot better).

To resolve it yourself, if you truly have a 1000.4 with the 77 LNB:
Menu(Top left on the remote) > 6 > 1 > 1, on the right you will have an option called Check Switch, highlight it and select it. Take note of the satellites listed (you should see 77/72.7/61.5 in that order) then on the bottom select the Test button. Once finished you will be back on the previous screen, you should see satellites X/72.7/61.5, meaning that the receiver has forgotten 77 and you should be good to go.

Just do this to fix it.

Menu -> 6 -> 1 -> 1 -> Test Installation -> Test -> Ok -> Save

Aka running a check switch. Fixes your issue.

Edit: didn't see ethanlerma already said this

Why is that? I've set up my 1000.4 dish on EA a number of times where 77 was not visible with no problems, just the missing check marks on the diagnostics page. The EPG updated as expected. I have not yet tried setting up a new receiver though, so I'm curious about what to expect.
Im unsure on why. I have seen that aswell, and it installed properly, but twice recently a hopper 2000 and hopper w Sling have failed installation because of this. And not just a check switch fail, the receiver would reboot before it could finish the installation.

Im unsure on why. I have seen that aswell, and it installed properly, but twice recently a hopper 2000 and hopper w Sling have failed installation because of this. And not just a check switch fail, the receiver would reboot before it could finish the installation.
I set up my portable 1000.4 today to check out aiming it with the 77 LNB capped. The HWS I connected to it had no problem starting up and going through the Test Installation. I wonder what's different with a new installation that could cause those issues. Whenever I've gotten a new/used/refurbed Dish receiver, I've always run a Check Switch or Test Installation with no dish attached to make sure the sat list is cleared before going for the final hook up. I don't know if that makes any difference in this case though.

Hey, I forgot the saving part so so its all good.

I set up my portable 1000.4 today to check out aiming it with the 77 LNB capped. The HWS I connected to it had no problem starting up and going through the Test Installation. I wonder what's different with a new installation that could cause those issues. Whenever I've gotten a new/used/refurbed Dish receiver, I've always run a Check Switch or Test Installation with no dish attached to make sure the sat list is cleared before going for the final hook up. I don't know if that makes any difference in this case though.
Im unsure myself aswell. Check switch runs fine on receivers that have already been installed, it's very odd to me too

Nothing surprises me. When the DPH42 switch first came out I purchased a 2nd Hopper 3 from an on line store. The leased H3 downloaded good. The technician couldn't get the purchased H3 to download because it wasn't set up yet to download with the new switch. He tried everything so his supervisor got his DISH source involved and that was when he learned about the reason why. So I purchased another H3 from the DISH technician and it would download. I returned the original purchased H3 back to the on line store.

Reactions: rip77
Dish cant do anything about it remotely especially with a 722, there only option is waiting for you to call (or not breaking it in the first place would be a lot better).

To resolve it yourself, if you truly have a 1000.4 with the 77 LNB:
Menu(Top left on the remote) > 6 > 1 > 1, on the right you will have an option called Check Switch, highlight it and select it. Take note of the satellites listed (you should see 77/72.7/61.5 in that order) then on the bottom select the Test button. Once finished you will be back on the previous screen, you should see satellites X/72.7/61.5, meaning that the receiver has forgotten 77 and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply.
I just gave it a try. ... Receiver said it found less satellites than I had before. Saved it, and hopefully it will do the trick. I also have a VIP211K hooked to the same 1000.4. It has been shutting down similar to the VIP722. Will I need to run the same Switch Check on that receiver?

Thanks for the reply.
I just gave it a try. ... Receiver said it found less satellites than I had before. Saved it, and hopefully it will do the trick. I also have a VIP211K hooked to the same 1000.4. It has been shutting down similar to the VIP722. Will I need to run the same Switch Check on that receiver?
Yes, process is the same.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts