Sat 99b ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
Is this where my locals come from ? I'm in the Atlanta GA area. I Get everything else in at 97 to 99 strenth but not 99b its at 35% . I have recorder the locals and no problems, but why would I get everthings else in at a strong singal and not that one?

Thanks!

Is this where my locals come from ? I'm in the Atlanta GA area. I Get everything else in at 97 to 99 strenth but not 99b its at 35% . I have recorder the locals and no problems, but why would I get everthings else in at a strong singal and not that one?

Thanks!

It's probably from an adjacent spotbeam, therefore not at full strength.

Everyone gets their locals from EITHER 99 or 103. Atlanta locals are from one transponder on 103. You should see at least 85+ on this one transponder, maybe as high as 100 if you are in the center of the spotbeam and your dish is correctly aligned. Any other transponders you see on either 99 or 103 are spotbeams for other cities, you just happen to be in the spotbeam. So you will see low signal strength, even zero, on these other transponders.

As 99W isnt even activated in the H20 firmware at this point, all the current HD-LILs must be on 103W Transponders 1-6 at present time.

As 99W isnt even activated in the H20 firmware at this point, all the current HD-LILs must be on 103W Transponders 1-6 at present time.

H20's don't show the 99 sat, but it is there and it is being used for some hd lil's.

Im looking at the signal meter for the 99 sat on my h20 and and tp3 is 96 and tp7 is 83. BTW I have birmingham al locals.

There is no doubt the satellite is up and operational - but that does not mean any HD-LIL is working on it with the satellite disabled in the firmware. All you are saying is that you have not updated your firmware in the last 6 months.

The last 2 firmware updates over the last 6 months for the H20 have disabled all transponders outside of 103W 7+ and 99W and the HD-LIL that were spread across 99/103 were consolidated on 103W 1-6.

The link above still shows the original transponders when 99W was activated. Even those markets which had 0 signal on 103W 1-6 now have a signal on one of the 6 - because that is where all ACTIVE HD-LIL currently radiates from.

There are LOTS of HD locals on the 99 satellite - Austin, Birmingham, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbus, the list goes on, right down to Washington DC and West Palm Beach. The HR20 shows the signal strengths on the 99 sat OK (assuming you are in a spotbeam from 99 of course), the H20 has a bug which prevents it seeing 99 on the test and signal meter but it receives 99 OK.
99 has not been disabled in any firmware, and the HD locals have not all been moved to 103, I do not know where this story came from.......

There are LOTS of HD locals on the 99 satellite - Austin, Birmingham, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbus, the list goes on, right down to Washington DC and West Palm Beach. The HR20 shows the signal strengths on the 99 sat OK (assuming you are in a spotbeam from 99 of course), the H20 has a bug which prevents it seeing 99 on the test and signal meter but it receives 99 OK.
99 has not been disabled in any firmware, and the HD locals have not all been moved to 103, I do not know where this story came from.......

From someone that doesn't know what they are talking about?

From someone that doesn't know what they are talking about?

Of course there are signals on 99W that are being used for test and people in those markets that you claim are on 103W for HD-LIL have unplugged the 99W connector from the WB-68 and still can get their HD-LIL last time they checked. Again, the WB68 has a different connector for 99W and 103W so its easy to check - just disconnect the 99W feed.

All HD-LIL's were moved to 103W T1-T6 and every market has a very high signal on one of those 6 transponders which is where the locals are coming from.

In some areas, such as the North Carolina area, because they are only using 6 transponders, they are unable to cover the entire Raleigh DMA. This has been documented over and over - and you can even find info about it in the Raleigh local thread on AVSFORUM from the actual engineers at the local ABC O&O TV stations who receives phone calls everyday from D* customers in the DMA that cannot get the station. Again, this is the Engineer from the ABC owned station - not the affiliate and they have had direct discussion with D* about it. In fact, the CBS and FOX station will not allow D* to put them up as they have confirmed the fact that roughly 30% of the DMA is not covered and they have no additional room to put it on an adjacent spotbeam.

If all transponders on 99W and 103W were active and available to consumers, they would have no issue adjusting the spotbeam or putting the signal on 2 spotbeams to cover the entire DMA. Remember, now we only have 4 channels up there per market - not the entire market - so if there is no additional space - ask yourself why....because at this point they only are using 6 Transponders for HD-LIL on 103W.

They used other transponders on both birds and then shut it down to 6 and are testing the others.

Last edited:
Of course there are signals on 99W that are being used for test and people in those markets that you claim are on 103W for HD-LIL have unplugged the 99W connector from the WB-68 and still can get their HD-LIL last time they checked. Again, the WB68 has a different connector for 99W and 103W so its easy to check - just disconnect the 99W feed.

All HD-LIL's were moved to 103W T1-T6 and every market has a very high signal on one of those 6 transponders which is where the locals are coming from.

In some areas, such as the North Carolina area, because they are only using 6 transponders, they are unable to cover the entire Raleigh DMA. This has been documented over and over - and you can even find info about it in the Raleigh local thread on AVSFORUM from the actual engineers at the local ABC O&O TV stations who receives phone calls everyday from D* customers in the DMA that cannot get the station. Again, this is the Engineer from the ABC owned station - not the affiliate and they have had direct discussion with D* about it. In fact, the CBS and FOX station will not allow D* to put them up as they have confirmed the fact that roughly 30% of the DMA is not covered and they have no additional room to put it on an adjacent spotbeam.

If all transponders on 99W and 103W were active and available to consumers, they would have no issue adjusting the spotbeam or putting the signal on 2 spotbeams to cover the entire DMA. Remember, now we only have 4 channels up there per market - not the entire market - so if there is no additional space - ask yourself why....because at this point they only are using 6 Transponders for HD-LIL on 103W.

They used other transponders on both birds and then shut it down to 6 and are testing the others.

You are COMPLETELY wrong....99 LILs are up and running, and also the WB68 does not have separate connectors for 99 and 103, you are confusing this with the Flexport cconnectors for 95 and 72.5

You are COMPLETELY wrong....99 LILs are up and running, and also the WB68 does not have separate connectors for 99 and 103, you are confusing this with the Flexport cconnectors for 95 and 72.5

I am COMPLETELY WRONG???...you might want to look at a WB68 as clearly you have not seen one or examined how ports 1/2 and ports 3/4 are labelled, which are not confused with the flexports on 5/6.

http://www.hometech.com/video/gc-wb68big.jpg

At least we can now see first hand who has some knowledge about the Ka setup.

Last edited:
I am COMPLETELY WRONG???...you might want to look at a WB68 as clearly you have not seen one or examined how ports 1/2 and ports 3/4 are labelled, which are not confused with the flexports on 5/6.

http://www.hometech.com/video/gc-wb68big.jpg

At least we can now see first hand who has some knowledge about the Ka setup.

Let me repeat this and be even more specific.
1. local HD on 99 is up and running and is being transmitted to many cities.

2. I know exactly how the Ka system is set up. And yes I do have two WB68s. You can't swap over the 99 and 103 satellites at the WB68 because the WB68 does not care which cable from the 5-lnbdish is connected to which output of the WB68. ANY cable from the 5-lnb dish can go into ANY port of the WB68. The connector markings on the WB68 are only relevant if you are connecting it to an older dish without a built-in multiswitch, where you need to make sure the 18v/13v and 22Khz tones go to the correct connector on the dish. Dishes like the 3-lnb series III and the two 5-lnb dishes DO NOT CARE which cable goes to which of the four ports on the WB68 because the dish itself has a built-in multiswitch. It does not matter how much you change the cabling between the 5-lnb dish and the WB68 you cannot persuade a receiver to think it is seeing 99 when it is actually seeing 103.

Let me repeat this and be even more specific.
1. local HD on 99 is up and running and is being transmitted to many cities.

As stated and shown by your knowledge, wrong. It's in test mode only and if you are having trouble with your HD-LIL on of the first questions the CSRs have on their checklist is for the readings of the transponders for your locals - which you cannot read off as they are deactivated currently - not a bug - deactivated.

This is the check the CSRs use to determine what the problem is and whether to initiate a service call - whether it be the IRD or the Dish/Alignment.

2. I know exactly how the Ka system is set up. And yes I do have two WB68s. You can't swap over the 99 and 103 satellites at the WB68 because the WB68 does not care which cable from the 5-lnbdish is connected to which output of the WB68. ANY cable from the 5-lnb dish can go into ANY port of the WB68. The connector markings on the WB68 are only relevant if you are connecting it to an older dish without a built-in multiswitch, where you need to make sure the 18v/13v and 22Khz tones go to the correct connector on the dish. Dishes like the 3-lnb series III and the two 5-lnb dishes DO NOT CARE which cable goes to which of the four ports on the WB68 because the dish itself has a built-in multiswitch. It does not matter how much you change the cabling between the 5-lnb dish and the WB68 you cannot persuade a receiver to think it is seeing 99 when it is actually seeing 103.

Wrong again - you cannot swap the 2 because the 103W will only come on via port 3/4 of the WB68 when activated with a 22khz tone. The absence of that tone reverts to Port 1/2 and 99W.

The Multiswitch supplies a constant 22khz tone to the AT9/AU9 so that port 3/4 ALWAYS feed 103/110/119. Those port will NEVER feed you 99W/101W and if you remove Port 1/2 feed you CANNOT get 101/99W from Port 3/4 of the Multiswitch.

Again, you have confused the Multiswitch connections with the AT9/AU9 as the AT9/AU9 do not care which port they are connected to - which is why I was specfic in my original post of how to check it - you must have a WB68.

Furthermore, if your logic was correct that all any port could handle 99W and 103W - it doesn't matter - then why does the HD-LIL signal disappear when you pull the connection from Ports 3/4 which carry the 103W stacked signal as according to your logic it should continue to come in on ports 1/2.

Your hole is pretty deep......Going for strike 3?

Last edited:
As stated and shown by your knowledge, wrong. It's in test mode only and if you are having trouble with your HD-LIL on of the first questions the CSRs have on their checklist is for the readings of the transponders for your locals - which you cannot read off as they are deactivated currently - not a bug - deactivated.

This is the check the CSRs use to determine what the problem is and whether to initiate a service call - whether it be the IRD or the Dish/Alignment.

Wrong again - you cannot swap the 2 because the 103W will only come on via port 3/4 of the WB68 when activated with a 22khz tone. The absence of that tone reverts to Port 1/2 and 99W.

The Multiswitch supplies a constant 22khz tone to the AT9/AU9 so that port 3/4 ALWAYS feed 103/110/119. Those port will NEVER feed you 99W/101W and if you remove Port 1/2 feed you CANNOT get 101/99W from Port 3/4 of the Multiswitch.

Again, you have confused the Multiswitch connections with the AT9/AU9 as the AT9/AU9 do not care which port they are connected to - which is why I was specfic in my original post of how to check it - you must have a WB68.

Furthermore, if your logic was correct that all any port could handle 99W and 103W - it doesn't matter - then why does the HD-LIL signal disappear when you pull the connection from Ports 3/4 which carry the 103W stacked signal as according to your logic it should continue to come in on ports 1/2.

Your hole is pretty deep......Going for strike 3?

I am not digging a hole at all.

1. You claim there are no HD locals on 99. The following cities (at least) receive their HD locals from the 99 satellite:
Austin; Birmingham;Boston;Charlotte; Cincinnati;Columbus;Indianapolis;Kansas City;Las Vegas;Miami;Nashville;New York City (non-conus);Pittsburgh;Sacramento;Seattle;Washington DC; West Palm Beach;

2. You claim that there have been firmware downloads that disable the 99 sat. No such downloads have occurred, either for the H20 or for the HR20. If you have an HR20 and you are in a city whose HD locals come from 99, or if you are in a spotbeam for a city whose locals come from 99, you will see transponders from 99. If you have the H20, you will not - this is a firmware bug, you willsee it reported all over the various forums. You may be receiving 99 signals OK, but you just can't see the transponders when you run the test.

3. You claim that by changing over the cable inputs to the WB68 you can fool the receivers into thinking they are receiving 99 when they are actually receiving 103. That can't happen. The point I made in my last post is that it makes no difference what cable you connect to what input.

I said " I know exactly how the Ka system is set up. And yes I do have two WB68s. You can't swap over the 99 and 103 satellites at the WB68 because the WB68 does not care which cable from the 5-lnb dish is connected to which output of the WB68. ANY cable from the 5-lnb dish can go into ANY port of the WB68. The connector markings on the WB68 are only relevant if you are connecting it to an older dish without a built-in multiswitch, where you need to make sure the 18v/13v and 22Khz tones go to the correct connector on the dish. Dishes like the 3-lnb series III and the two 5-lnb dishes DO NOT CARE which cable goes to which of the four ports on the WB68 because the dish itself has a built-in multiswitch. It does not matter how much you change the cabling between the 5-lnb dish and the WB68 you cannot persuade a receiver to think it is seeing 99 when it is actually seeing 103."

You said "wrong again". Sorry, "right again". The input cables from the dish are not dedicated to any particular signal, if I swap over the two cables the signals in the two cables swap over because the multiswitch in the dish does not care which cable is used for which satellite. Of course if I disconnect the two cables connected to the 22 Khz ports on the WB68 I will lose those satellites. But if I disconnect the other two cables and reconnect them to the 22Khz ports I will get the satellites back and lose the other ones, I will not somehow get the satellites mixed up. This was NOT the case with older dishes without the built-in multiswitches. If there were four cables A, B,C,D from the dish I had to connect them correctly to the multiswitch ports or I would end up looking at the wrong satellites. The WB68 does not care. So there is no way that someone can incorrectly connect the cables to the WB68 and thereby make 103 look like 99.

Checking back I now see you had edited one of your original posts to remove the claim that you could make 103 look like 99 by moving the cables. So you obviously realised after you made the post that you were incorrect on this one. I did not know you had made the change.
I also made an incorrect statement way back about the 99/103 inputs on the WB68, I had meant to say the inputs to the WB68 (i.e. the cables from the dish) not the ports..

On the 99 satellite, I stand by my statements. And it will be supported by all the people in the cities I name who are receiving their locals from 99. I just checked my HR20 here in DFW and I am receiving signals on 99 transponders 3 and 5 (I know one of these is Austin, not sure about the other) and on 103 transponders 1 and 5 (DFW locals come from 103). On my two H20s, as expected, I see no 99 signals at all because of the firmware bug. I can prove the signals are coming from 99 because if I remove two of the cables into the WB68 (the ones onto the non-22Khz ports) they go away on the HR20. And my friend in Austin proved his locals were coming from 99 by doing the same thing.

Checking back I now see you had edited one of your original posts to remove the claim that you could make 103 look like 99 by moving the cables. So you obviously realised after you made the post that you were incorrect on this one. I did not know you had made the change.

Another interesting spin. As the time stamp shows the original was revised within minutes to give another example of how to test and prove what I was saying was true.

I did not revise the any content as you claim.

Furthermore you did not refute it until some 9 hours until after it was posted.

I also made an incorrect statement way back about the 99/103 inputs on the WB68, I had meant to say the inputs to the WB68 (i.e. the cables from the dish) not the ports..

Spin, Spin, Spin

On the 99 satellite, I stand by my statements. And it will be supported by all the people in the cities I name who are receiving their locals from 99. I just checked my HR20 here in DFW and I am receiving signals on 99 transponders 3 and 5 (I know one of these is Austin, not sure about the other) and on 103 transponders 1 and 5 (DFW locals come from 103). On my two H20s, as expected, I see no 99 signals at all because of the firmware bug. I can prove the signals are coming from 99 because if I remove two of the cables into the WB68 (the ones onto the non-22Khz ports) they go away on the HR20. And my friend in Austin proved his locals were coming from 99 by doing the same thing.

Now you are grasping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts