SAT/CATV to multiple rooms

Shmoo

Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Goal: Route CATV and D* Satellite via RG-6 runs to multiple rooms and move sat receivers to different locations as needed.

Assumptions: DishPro compatible receivers (or legacy with adaptor), DishPro Twin on the mast, individual RG-6 runs to multiple rooms, DC passing diplexers on the Sat side.

I understand the use of DP34's to cascade the satellite signals to multiple locations. Can I diplex the CATV signal on to the DP34 output RG-6 runs and then diplex them off the runs at the receiver locations? I'm talking about an 8-way split on the CATV. Will it work or am I way off base? :confused:

Welcome aboard!

First, Dish is E* (Echostar) D* means DirecTV.

Theoretically, putting diplexers on the output ports of the DP34s is not an issue. Whether you can drive EIGHT of them from the CATV is a different question.

Have you considered a different approach? Instead of moving receivers all over the place, just route their outputs around the house. This might remove the requirement for a second switch, too. You do not say how many receivers you want, nor their types, so it's difficult to advise.

Of course, high-quality connections can be an issue - for example, HDTV. Of course, you're not going to be moving an HD receiver all over.

Thanks for the E* correction - I'm a new guy. I used the output routing trick in our old home and am trying to avoid dragging any new cable. Receivers at this time are: 4500 (legacy) and 501. We will most likely not have more than 2 satellite receivers attached but will have some additional CATV only sets around the house. Will probably upgrade the 4500 if/when a new dual-tuner unit comes out.

I guess I don't understand. You're trying to avoid dragging cable, but I don't know what cable already exists, or whether it's suitable for satellite feeds. DishPro requires RG-6 rated to at least 2150MHz. You say you're going to have CATV-only TVs, and yet you also say you're going to move satellite receivers around. Very confusing.

The house is pre-wired with 8 RG-6 runs, all suitable for SATV - we have 1 rcvr up and running with good signal. We plan to use 2 E* receivers and want to be able to place them at any one of the 8 RG-6 terminals. So, running SATV via DP34s and the existing 8 RG-6 runs is not the real issue. The question is whether I can diplex the CATV feed onto one or more of the DP34 outputs outside and use a diplexer inside to split out the SATV & CATV at whatever location we want to use for SATV or purely CATV. As an example - we may want to temporarily move a SATV receiver and to another room. I want to be able to move the receiver and TV and be in business - I don't want to have to go outside and switch feeds.

Well, it's your money. Just seems like adding two DP34's is a waste to me.

So, we're back to my original reply which is that it's theoretically possible - but it depends entirely on the quality and strength of your cable signal.

Diplexers are used all the time for these situations - but driving EIGHT feeds off a single CATV, well that might be asking a bit much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts