Sat direction for Local Channels and HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tjlerie

Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I am trying to determine if there are different satellites for Local channels and HD in my area (Erie PA).
I currently have a 301 and 625, Sat 110 and 119, Dish Top 200. The outside dish is pointed to the South West.
A few years back I signed up for local channels when they became available in Erie. When the installer arrived he said that there were trees in the way and I could not get a line of sight to the satellite that had the Erie local channels. (Cutting down the number of trees that are in the way is NOT an option.)
I called to the Dish Customer Support today just to find out if I could get the HD channels from my current satellites. They told me YES and that they were "positive" that I could also get the local channels because there was a change made in June of 2010 that put all the programming on one satellite.
I have been a DISH customer for over 13 years and am used to getting incorrect information so I am posting here to see if I can get some help without signing up for a service that I can't get.
In my situation - surrounded by trees with at best a 45 degree angle to the South West line of sight :
1.) should I be able to get HD channels?
2.) should I be able to get Erie locals (that are available in my zip code area)?

2.) should I be able to get Erie locals (that are available in my zip code area)?

Yes and yes. In theory, you SHOULD be able to with a 1000.2, as all of your locals are on 129W, as is most of the HD. A few HD channels are on 110.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Erie, PA

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Erie, PA

As to whether or not you have LOS for 129, that will be up to whoever installs the dish.

Also, Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com will help you.

I am trying to determine if there are different satellites for Local channels and HD in my area (Erie PA).
I currently have a 301 and 625, Sat 110 and 119, Dish Top 200. The outside dish is pointed to the South West.
A few years back I signed up for local channels when they became available in Erie. When the installer arrived he said that there were trees in the way and I could not get a line of sight to the satellite that had the Erie local channels. (Cutting down the number of trees that are in the way is NOT an option.)
I called to the Dish Customer Support today just to find out if I could get the HD channels from my current satellites. They told me YES and that they were "positive" that I could also get the local channels because there was a change made in June of 2010 that put all the programming on one satellite.
I have been a DISH customer for over 13 years and am used to getting incorrect information so I am posting here to see if I can get some help without signing up for a service that I can't get.
In my situation - surrounded by trees with at best a 45 degree angle to the South West line of sight :

Erie is on the western arc and uses 110/119/129. I think both the SD and HD locals are on 129W. That would be about 10 degrees to the right of where your current dish points and a bit lower in elevation. Maybe you can use dishpointer to see if any trees are in the way.

http://www.dishpointer.com

Hi, from the other posts it looks like your locals are on 129W. From Erie PA that satellite is going to be quite low on the elevation. The trees may well be a problem; however, you might have a bit more to work with if the installer considers adding a wing dish to your current setup instead of trying to use a Dish 1000.2. The wing dish would allow the possibility of shooting between trees if there is a little gap. A spot in your yard or on top of your roof would have to be found with LOS (line of sight) to the 129 satellite.

Hope this helps, DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)