Sat positions drifting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

raydio

K6KGW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 6, 2005
Rio Rancho, NM
This problem started when I went to a polar mount, 18" BUD actuator and V Box and has become chronic. I go through and find each sat and save it on the Coolsat Pro and the specific position number of the V-Box will blink once or twice to indicate that the position was saved. Then after a day or two, I noticed that when I moved to a sat the position would be off, not by a couple of counts, but 20 or so, so I would have to go through this procedure again. I have also noticed that I cannot do the reset on the V-Box, unplug it, press the power button and then plug back in - that does not work. Anyway, it has gotten to a point now to where if I go through and learn all the sats, then go back to them they are off position. The actuator is tight on the mount and not loose. The mount does not seem to be moving on the pole. There does not seem to be a mechanical reason for this in the mount/pole. Has anyone seen this type of problem before? Since I cannot reset the V-Box, I wonder if there is something wrong there.

EDIT - - After going back to each sat time after time, there are 4 which I can hit every time it seems...they are AMC 9/P12, Amazonas/P13, SBS 6/P10 and G4/R/P19. The P indicates the V-Box position for that particular sat. My thinking is that the reed switch is ok since it is counting. I am still thinking that the V-Box is the culprit. PSB, could you confirm?

I dont use a V-Box "yet" so I will have to leave it to the members (DrHydro/Cascade)who are using one. I sent you a PM detailing what to do if you feel its faulty, we will get you sorted out : )

rayydio said:
I have also noticed that I cannot do the reset on the V-Box, unplug it, press the power button and then plug back in - that does not work.
I was not unable to reset my vbox either, and when last i checked neither could Cascade
rayydio said:
My thinking is that the reed switch is ok since it is counting. I am still thinking that the V-Box is the culprit.
I would double check the reed switch. Connect a multimeter to the wires from the reed switch. Set the mulitmeter to "diode" or "conductivity" mode. While turning the motor look for a pulse on the multimeter as each magnet passes the reed sensor.

If you are seeing a pulse EVERY time a magnet passes the sensor, then double check the wiring to make sure you dont have an intermittent break in the connection causing the problem. I would run a set of test wires from the vbox to the sensor to check this.

If both of the above check out than most likely the vbox is the culprit.

I checked the reed switch and it seems to be fine...get a pulse every time the magnet passes. Also checked the wiring which was new a month ago and it's good too. So I got an RMA from DMSI and shipped it back for a replacement. So until I get a new one, I am stationary on SBS 6.

Hi Jim,

My parents have a VBOX with a Pansat2500 on a C-Band Bud and it seems that they have a simlar problem, but not as bad. When they go from one end of the arc (Satellite) to the other and back, over a period of a month or so they need to re-adjust the satellite position. It seem to happen that everytime this occurs it's alwas in the same direction that they need to adjust there dish.

Please let me know if getting a new/replacement VBOX fixed your problem.

Has anyone else had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Virgil

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)