Sat Signal Strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Augurr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Ok. I can't quite get this figured out. I know that to get a decent picture from rain-fade, the SNR should be higher than 72. But here's my problem. When I look at my signal rates, the satellite signal strength is shown as 96. The signal to noise strength is always around 84 or less, and the OTA SNR is higher than the satellite SNR. Why am I losing 12+ signal points on a perfectly clear day, not overcast, no rain? Is this a problem with the boxes, the diplexers, the cable, what? It is prevalent on both STB's, so it must be something.

Augurr

The OTA numbers (Signal Quality, Signal Strength & SNR) are independent of the Satellite numbers. The OTA numbers depend on what your local stations sends out over the air. The Satellite numbers depend on what Voom sends out. Not sure if that answer your question.

Well, then all my channels suck ass ;-) I have been checking almost every channel that I watch(not much tonight since my STB went the way of many others) and the Sat signal is 96, the SNR is around 80-ish. That is horrible. If the wind blows it will cause fade ;-) What is causing this?

augurr

Bad signal due to wind is probably caused by antenna orientation. It either needs to get aimed better, or raised higher. You need good line of sight to the signal source, and a proper aim. A little movement due to wind can make a difference. If you have good access to the antenna, go to antennaweb.org to get the right directions, and try adjusting the aim yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)