Sat. Signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeremiahpreston

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Ok so I just got installed today and am getting use to the controls and all of that. The thing that I am worried about is the satellite signal strength. I am getting really low reads on, I beleive, 99, 101 and 103. When I say low I am talking like 0. Does this make any sense to anyone? I am getting all the channels that I am supose to but did notice a signal drop out while watching FX HD. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but I was wondering if anyone could pass along normal signal strength for all of the sats. Just so I know a general range I should be in thus if there is a problem call and complain so that someone will come fix it before it becomes my problem.

Ok so I just got installed today and am getting use to the controls and all of that. The thing that I am worried about is the satellite signal strength. I am getting really low reads on, I beleive, 99, 101 and 103. When I say low I am talking like 0. Does this make any sense to anyone? I am getting all the channels that I am supose to but did notice a signal drop out while watching FX HD. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but I was wondering if anyone could pass along normal signal strength for all of the sats. Just so I know a general range I should be in thus if there is a problem call and complain so that someone will come fix it before it becomes my problem.

As a general rule, your sat signals should be in the High 80's to 100.
You WILL have transponders with 0 signal, these are ones that do not service your area or there are no channels assigned to those transponders yet.
If you have lower signals on the 99 and 103 , that is probably signals from areas just outside of your area, this is common as well.

Jimbo

99 and 103 (a or s) have MANY zeros and low numbers - these are spotbeams aimed at local markets. You may have none or 1/2 that have good numbers.

For HD - the one you need to pay attention to is 103 (b or c). This should have NO zeros and numbers 80+, preferrably mid-90s.

Also check 101/110/119 - the majority of them should have good numbers 80+, there will be a few lower or zero.

Multi-switch!

So, I upgraded to the new slimline dish last weekend and had really bad signals on the 103(b) sat. I connected the new receiver myself and the installer didn't wait the 5 minutes for me to connect it before he left. Of course, he says call me if there are any problems.

Of course, I call him and he tells me it's fine at the dish, must be problems with my lines. I tell him I've had it hooked up for a long time without any problems. He basically says you should have paid for me to install the receiver, like there's something magic to it.

I call and bitch to Directv and they finally get another guy to come out. He finds it pretty quick.

Turns out the 5x8 multiswitch I had installed myself couldn't handle the higher frequencies (I think higher) that the new satellites require. He replaced the multiswitch (for $40) and bingo, high 90's on everything.

Hope this helps someone else that's having signal problems.

Yup, the new satellite requires a WB68 multiswitch - it stacks multiple bands.

Do you have BBC de-stackers hooked to your receivers inputs (assuming you have H20/21 or HR20/21 receivers)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)