Satelite first timer questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Meldric

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Hello All,
I am considering satellite service for the first time. I have recently moved to Iowa from Michigan and I am a big Red Wings fan. The only way for me to watch the games I love is to subscribe to Directv or Dish Network and get the Center Ice package. I have an HD TV and my plan is to get the Choice Extra plus HD DVR package and add the Center Ice package. I could get the same service from Dish Network but I like the Protection Plan that I can add with Directv. My concern is many negative reviews of Directv's HD DVR. I will be recording many of the games and watching them later and I really want this to run smoothly. I have heard many positive reviews of the Dish Networks HD DVR. Is the Protection Plan worth it? Will I have problems with my HD DVR resolved quickly? Any other advice you might have for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

My thoughts are this...

I personally have 4 HD DVR's from DirecTV. I don't have the protection plan. Keep in mind that all the recievers are leased and DirecTV owns them. If they need to be replaced for any reason, DirecTV will take care of this for only a $19.99 shipping charge (most often waived).

The protection plan is nice for dish problems and coax line problems. In all the years that I have had DirecTV, I have never had to touch my dish or coax lines (other then when I upgraded to the SWM LNB myself). I live In NE Wisconsin.

I too have had service since launch & haven't had any problems with the physical equipment that would lead me to get the protection plan. I was worried about my recent addition of the DVR (HR-21) but decided to gamble a bit & see how it goes. The DVR has performed perfectly so far (3 weeks-LOL) & the recent software updates on the H-20's has them working better then new. While my local installer is cool he didn't want to touch my dish which is bolted to the chimney; not really a problem since I tuned it myself.

If you want the piece of mind it's not a bad deal though I think the equipment is solid.

The complaints are when you compare to Dish's DVR... and many of them are user-error. You'll find the D* dvr is much nicer than what you are use to with cable.

I've had both D and E. Is E's dvr better? Yes? But not by a whole lot... certainly not worth the hastle of their constatnt programming disputes.

Hello All,
I am considering satellite service for the first time. I have recently moved to Iowa from Michigan and I am a big Red Wings fan. The only way for me to watch the games I love is to subscribe to Directv or Dish Network and get the Center Ice package. I have an HD TV and my plan is to get the Choice Extra plus HD DVR package and add the Center Ice package. I could get the same service from Dish Network but I like the Protection Plan that I can add with Directv. My concern is many negative reviews of Directv's HD DVR. I will be recording many of the games and watching them later and I really want this to run smoothly. I have heard many positive reviews of the Dish Networks HD DVR. Is the Protection Plan worth it? Will I have problems with my HD DVR resolved quickly? Any other advice you might have for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
I actually like the HD DVR. I have read bad reviews on it on many sites, but I haven't had a problem with it in the 2 1/2 weeks I have had service with them. It did freeze up once, but that was it. We also got the protection plan. I think its safer rather than to be sorry. Its only $4.99 (listed as $5.99 on their website), but the installer said $4.99. As far as recording games, I'm not sure since I haven't recorded any games, but I did get the Sunday Ticket package with Superfan. I wonder what the recording is like for games. You can set the HD DVR to record past the time of when the show ends I think. If you go with DirecTV, get Premiere free for 4 months when you add Sunday Ticker. Its a great deal.

Both providers offer protection plans, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

You should choose the provider that offers the hardware and programming that best meets your needs at the best price.

The DISH ViP series is a much more stable DVR while the DIRECTV HR2x series is a everything but DVR tinker's dream. If archiving programming is of interest, DISH does that much better. If online storage is a consideration, a DIRECTV HR2x box with a big outboard storage subsystem will get you through weeks of programming without running out of space.

Equipment from both providers fails occasionally (more often if you're plagued with bad karma). It is up to you to decide what value you place on exclusive programming and DVR features.

Both providers offer protection plans, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

You should choose the provider that offers the hardware and programming that best meets your needs at the best price.

The DISH ViP series is a much more stable DVR while the DIRECTV HR2x series is a everything but DVR tinker's dream. If archiving programming is of interest, DISH does that much better. If online storage is a consideration, a DIRECTV HR2x box with a big outboard storage subsystem will get you through weeks of programming without running out of space.

Equipment from both providers fails occasionally (more often if you're plagued with bad karma). It is up to you to decide what value you place on exclusive programming and DVR features.

well said! +1

If you are moving to Michigan, I don't think you need Center Ice to see the Red Wings. The Center Ice package is for out of market games. The Red Wings should be available on your local RSN, FSN Detroit

If you are moving to Michigan, I don't think you need Center Ice to see the Red Wings. The Center Ice package is for out of market games. The Red Wings should be available on your local RSN, FSN Detroit

He is moving from Michigan to Iowa. He would need the Center Ice package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)