satelite guide for tv programs

you want a magazine in print?

why?

you're already on the internet, use an online guide like titantv or zap2it.

but if you want dish's guide magazine, it's called dish magazine

I concur, ever since i got dish network, the onscreen guide has obsoleted any printed info. I don't understand how tvguide (the magazine) stays in business.

Dish network Guide is worth the $5 mo fee

justrelaxing said:
just like tv guide, is there a magazine that has listings for dish network channels?

:hatsoff:

This old guy disagrees:

The guide is far better now than it was a few months ago. If you are into HD it gives you what shows are in HD and what ones are not. It has the usual graphic hourly chart with HD symbol by the HD shows in blue. You get an alphabetical listing with program summary rating year made and networks and times of broadcast. Special indexes exist for finding TV shows (say look up Miami Vice), theme guide such as special events, history, documentaries, sports etc. Also there is a PayTV listing, summaries & high lights of movies and shows premiering this month and editors choice page of HD shows. Also there is a listing of each channel by name as an index. Addressed for major networks. A summary of premium channels of movies premiering this month (HBO, etc. It also has a page telling you what channels and networks are having free previews.

This thing is a half a inch thick each month. Some of us get tired of looking as the Internet which always requires an endless number of pages to be reached to get information.

It now includes info for Voom channels. My key criticism is the hourly chart Stars does not contain the blue HD, to find out you need to go to the movie listing section. Eventually I am sure this will be corrected.

For 5 dollars, it is a good supplement to Internet info.
:up

While I agree that the EPG is far superior than TV Guide (most recent changes that occur after press time), and the EPG really makes any paper published guide useless for most subscribers, I do subscribe to the Dish Magazine for the following reasons:

1. The comprehensive list of all the movies playing that month on the premiums. Often I or others want to record (to stand alone DVD) a movie, and the EPG is limited to 9 days, the mag has all the times and channels that movie will air. I can tell if that is the last showing that (and even the following, if I have the next issue delivered early) month for that movie. It is indespensible for those of us who record to DVD. If I am looking for a particular movie, it is far faster and more efficient to look up the movie in the mag.

2. The mag again is far more efficeint to find a particular series or special or almost any other show because it is listed along with all its airings and channels. An EPG search will often result in no matches. Then I have to try and remember to do an EPG search again tomorrow, and the next day, and the--I usually just forget to the subsequent searches. I need to see the whole month, not just the next 9 days becasue there may be conflicts with other shows recording to DVD. If I can see in the Dish Mag that the movie will air again in 3 weeks, then I can resolve a conflict knowing and entering the timer for that movie showing in three weeks time.

I should add that I get called by several members of my family specifically to look things up in the Dish Mag because they want to know about a certain show and if it will be playing at all this month and what is the "info" read and when will that movie play again--and not necessarily for them to record, but also for them to pass along to those who require the information.

The Dish Mag, and the Dish Flicks do have thier uses, but I agree that for most people the EPG is all they will ever need.

And as for the internet, the Dish Mag allows for impulse reference because it does not require a boot-up, then an XP log on, then a browser load then a . . . you get the idea. Yeah, I'm all comfy in front of the TV, and I'm gonna go fire up the PC. Why not just reach for the Dish Mag and never have to leave the TV? Love you all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)