Satellie Dish Moved

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjagd02

Original poster
May 21, 2015
Prospect, PA
Hi, my wife hit our dish with the riding mower. I don't think it moved much, but when I go to Signal Strength on my receiver, all transponders say 0. Could my dish be damaged or does it not take much to have no signal whatsoever? I haven't messed with dishes for a long time but I thought I'd see if there was anything I can do before calling. Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys bjagd02!

Like Jimbo said, it probably just needs to be adjusted. Since it's not showing any signal strength now, you have nothing to lose by trying to do it yourself! First, I'd check to be sure the dish is securely attached to the pole. Then, with someone watching the signal strength screen, try pushing slightly on the back of the dish on each side and see if you get any change. If so, you know which way the dish needs to move. Then loosen the dish enough to be able to move it without much effort. With a little patience, you may be able to avoid the possible cost or wait of having a service call.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys bjagd02!!

Yes most likely just knocked it out of alignment. You have nothing to lose to try and re-align it yourself.

Yes the pole is mounted into the ground and is very loose now. The arm snapped off the mount on one side, but I think i can fix it. I will probably have to move the pole until i start getting signal before securing the pole.

If the arm is broken, it's unlikely you can fix it. Best to replace the entire dish.

Last edited:
Reactions: harshness
Yes the pole is mounted into the ground and is very loose now. The arm snapped off the mount on one side, but I think i can fix it. I will probably have to move the pole until i start getting signal before securing the pole.
Look around town, to see if anyone has a dish that they are no longer using. Same as Craig's list or weekly advertiser.

Every now and then, you find someone on the DirecTV FB page, that is cancelling service and want to toss the dish. Take a picture of what is broken. We could probably come up some way to fix it. The arms you should be able to get cheap on eBay or Amazon. The U rings you can get at the local auto parts shop or Big Box.

I've fixed those arms before by drilling a hole where the tack welds are and putting self threading screws/bolts into it.

May have also bent the arm/mount too, but maybe not, those arms snap off pretty easily.

Welcome to SatGuys!

Look around town, to see if anyone has a dish that they are no longer using. Same as Craig's list or weekly advertiser.

Every now and then, you find someone on the DirecTV FB page, that is cancelling service and want to toss the dish. Take a picture of what is broken. We could probably come up some way to fix it. The arms you should be able to get cheap on eBay or Amazon. The U rings you can get at the local auto parts shop or Big Box.
I second Broe67, look around town for one not being used anymore, or just order one.
Trying to fix the one you have may work in a pinch, but over the long run, you'll have issues.
Make sure you get the right dish, chances are you may be able to use the LNB you have still, so just swap it out to the other dish.

if do you go with the replacement dish route, i would advise NOT removing the azimuth/elevation piece and simply take the reflector and arm off. this way you may save yourself from having to aim the dish (if you're lucky). its likely that the whole dish rotated, but it cant hurt.

Go to any apartment complex. That's where I have gotten any extra dish I need. You can get both Dish and DTV from there, and some places will even pay you. The joint I use to go to paid $25/dish. Catch was I had to dispose of them as well.

Same with tv antenna towers. We have a lot of them in our neighborhood that are not even being used anymore. They are the ladder style, with the main post at the top. The only thing is, getting the concrete side out of the ground.

Same with tv antenna towers. We have a lot of them in our neighborhood that are not even being used anymore. They are the ladder style, with the main post at the top. The only thing is, getting the concrete side out of the ground.
I would be scared to death to climb the ones I see around here, I got friends that would like to get thiers going again, except they've all been up for 50 years and the weather has made most of them unsafe to climb.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! The dish is mounted on a 4x4 piece of wood, anchored into the ground. Since the dish was hit, I can swing the entire pole back and forth 6 inches. The dish itself doesn't look like it's moved on the pole. However, one side of the tack welds have been ripped off. So, even if I could get signal (which I can't - all 0s no matter what), I would likely lose it quickly. I will see what is for sale!

As long as you are likely replacing the dish, you should put it on a pole instead of a 4x4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts