Satellite 102.9

Status
Please reply by conversation.

juancholopez

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Hi. I would like to have access to satellite 102.9 but I dont want to install one of the newer big dishes.

I am wondering if it would be possible to obtain signal from the 102.9 satellite using one of the older round dishes coupled with the ka/ku lnb that comes with the AT9 dish. I dont care about not being able to get any of the other available satellites.

Do you think this could work? Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks Curtis. I was not aware that a new dish is coming. Do you know when is it expected?

Any other comments on the feasibility of using an 18 inch dish with a ka/ku lnb?

from what i've read the future 3lnb dish is as big as the slimline 5lnb dish. don't know why but that's what has been reported.

No way to get 99 / 103 on an 18" dish.

Either would require the 5lnb dish. Even with the slimline 3 comes out, it will be the same size as the current 5 lnb dishes. No way around it to get 99/103.

Either would require the 5lnb dish. Even with the slimline 3 comes out, it will be the same size as the current 5 lnb dishes. No way around it to get 99/103.

there you go from the big chief's mouth :D

Yeah, the slimline 3 is really nothing special.

It is the same as the original 5 lnb without the sidecar. Same general size as what we have now. Personally, I think it is more a cost savings to have a cheaper dish for markets that don't have locals on 110/119 or international programming subscribers.

The moves of HD to 99 is essentially to free the space on 110/119.
Later, all locals from 72 and internationals from 95 are desined for 110/119.
This eliminates any need for a two-dish setup in practically every situation.

At the same time it makes a really poor case for the SL3.

Yeah, but really, customers that don't live in small local markets without HD LiL, where they have just SD on 72 now, and don't sub to internationals, won't need 110/119....ever.

The need for 110/119 will be much reduced, probably under 1 in 4. Also, very few customers add internatioanl packages after their original install. If they want international packages, they usually order DirecTV specifically for it.
They won't have do many truck rolls to install 110/119 after an original customer's install very often (excluding any transition change dish installs, i.e. customers with 72 or 95 now that need upgraded to a 3 lnb or 5 lnb).

my locals are coming from 110/119. jason do you see D ever moving my locals of these sats or will we always need 110 and 119?

Hard to say, but I think they'll stay there.

Eventually, the majoriy of locals will be HD. If you get all your affilates in HD, then you'll get them on 99/103 and not need 110/119.

We're still waiting for them to start adding PBS, that agreement is already announced. Past that, there is just some minor affilates (cw/my/ind) in some markets, which could easily be mirrored on the spotbeams to allow customers to have all HD and minor SDs on the slimline 3, or just SD on the 110/119 like they do now in many markets.

Again - this is 2009 and beyond, so it really isn't too clear right now.

Thank you Jason. I understand that it would not be possible to get 99 AND 103, but would it be possible to get 103 by itself? How about if I use a phase 2 dish or a phase 3 dish?

The slimline is out of the question for me (too big) so being able to use a smaller dish pointed to 103 is my only hope.

Thanks again for any help/ideas you can provide.

Later, all locals from 72 ... are desined for 110/119.
This eliminates any need for a two-dish setup in practically every situation.

Sorry to questinon you on this, but are you SURE that ALL 72.5 SD locals will, in fact, be moving over to 110/119? I ask this because, even after all the HD moves off of these birds, there is NO way that 24 72.5 SD local markets can be squeezed on these x-sponders. (unless they can be reconfigured into spot beams, which I highly doubt) Also, in light of the fact that the last few SD locals added were on the MPEG4 birds, (like Palm Springs, etc) do you think they might actually migrate them to the MPEG4 birds as well.

I'm asking this becasue I'd really like to know, since my market IS one of these now - thx much.

Jason - "Later, all locals from 72 and internationals from 95 are desined for 110/119." Any news on when this will happen, I am one of those who want to get all locals, HD & international all in one dish. Thanks!

Guys, I don't know too much about it yet. The reason behind the slimline 3 removing 110/119 is that D* is going to use them for situations where they aren't used in a majority of installs. This is for locals/internationals, and there is talk that they want away from 72/95, trying to get to a one dish install for new customers, it makes it easier to close the sale.

TImeline is 2009 at the earliest. Really, before any change can begin, they have to eliminate MPEG2 HD boxes from the field. Tommorrow they begin mirroring the MPEG2 in MPEG4, an important step forward. How long until those MPEG2 boxes are gone is up to how aggressive D* wants to be.

For now, there is no official timeline, or guidelines on if it will be all locals from 72, some locals, or even no locals. They could use it for entirely different marets. It's hard to say if they won't change the plan between now and whenever the time to start coms. Wish I had more answers, but we're talking several months, or even a year or two out.

The 72.5 SD locals in general are going to 99/103, not to 110/119. All new SD locals in the past six months (at least) have been at 103, and the 72.5 locals will migrate to there, and to 99. People signing up for SD locals in the 72.5 DMAs are getting R22 DVRs instead of R15/16s because those can receive the MPEG-4 signals being used for new SD locals from 99/103.

People signing up for SD locals in the 72.5 DMAs are getting R22 DVRs instead of R15/16s because those can receive the MPEG-4 signals being used for new SD locals from 99/103.

What are they putting in for new subs in these markets that do NOT want DVR's of any kind???

What are they putting in for new subs in these markets that do NOT want DVR's of any kind???
That's a darn good question. My guess is that those subscribers will get an R22 anyway.

This is similar to the problem that those who want OTA are in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)