Satellite 119 is locking on 110

westie91

Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
I read the previous posts about this problem, but I was wondering if anyone can shed more light on this problem.

I have a DP 500 Twin.

I recently remounted my dish on top of my garage. I get Satellite 110, but but no 119. Therefore, I don't get anything except for locals and some other worthless channels.

When at the point dish screen 110 has a great signal and when I switch to check out 119 it also has a strong signal, but it is locking on the wrong Satellite (110). What is the deal?

Why does 119 lock on 110.
If I make any minor adjustments to find 119 I lose 110 and there is no signal at all.

I'm a newbie so please excuse my rookie questions. All the feedback, help, scolding are appreciated.

Dallas :confused:

westie91 said:
I read the previous posts about this problem, but I was wondering if anyone can shed more light on this problem.

I have a DP 500 Twin.

I recently remounted my dish on top of my garage. I get Satellite 110, but but no 119. Therefore, I don't get anything except for locals and some other worthless channels.

When at the point dish screen 110 has a great signal and when I switch to check out 119 it also has a strong signal, but it is locking on the wrong Satellite (110). What is the deal?

Why does 119 lock on 110.
If I make any minor adjustments to find 119 I lose 110 and there is no signal at all.

I'm a newbie so please excuse my rookie questions. All the feedback, help, scolding are appreciated.

Dallas :confused:
first off welcome to satguys, second, try a check switch as your first thing, and then come back and tell us if that works, the check switch is in the same screen as your signal meter you have been looking at!

your dish is pointed 9-degree too far east. The receiver will always say there is signal even if it says wrong sat. That's because you are pointed at a satellite, it just ain't 119. Bring your dish back to the west 9 degrees.

The best trick in the world is to peak in both 119 and 110 at the same time. Have your cable hooked to the 119 side. Do a 4-point flex test on the dish to fine tune, then switch your cable over to 110 side and do the same thing. (Or vice versa) you should be reading optimum signal on both. Then go inside run a check switch and you're back on the air.

p.s. if you are not getting top signal readings from both the 119 and 110 sides of the lnb, then you are not aligned correctly or your skew is off.

Good luck.

earth station is complicating the issue. If you don't understand, don't sweat it.

Here's what you do.

First, on the switch matrix ("details" from check switch menu), is 110 in the left column or the right column?

If left, bingo - 9 degrees off. Confirm by covering the 119 eye with your hand or tin foil and seeing if the signal drops off. If so, your 119 eye is looking at 110 - rotate 9 degrees west.

SimpleSimon isn't doing any better. Perhaps you should hire a professional to do the work. After all, why are we even telling you how to do it? :rolleyes:

Just move the thing slowly to the West. The first signal you get will be from 119. Then peak it out moving left and right on that signal. Once peaked tighten the azmith bolts (2 bolts in back that keep the dish from moving left or right. Then peak the elevation moving dish up and down. Then tighten elevation screw on left and right side. Next carefully get down from roof, Run a check switch and more than likely you'll have signal on both 119 and 110.

earth station said:
SimpleSimon isn't doing any better. Perhaps you should hire a professional to do the work. After all, why are we even telling you how to do it? :rolleyes:
Because that's what we do here.

I've explained the process hundreds of times, and have received many thanks - a lot more thanks than your total of 51 posts.

"4-point flex test", huh? Yeah, of course I know what it is, but would the OP?

I have the same issue. I can lock onto 110 and get locals plus a few other channells. I have tried moving side to side and up down also tried skew settings.

I am currently set at 50 elevation (supposed to be at 43 according to dish network) and 115 Skew which is what I was advised to set it at.

I have tried setting my elevation correct and no signal. I raise to around 50 and can get 60% signal. I run check switch and it says 110 green ok and 119 shows CONN

I have a good line of sight

I have the same issue. I can lock onto 110 and get locals plus a few other channells. I have tried moving side to side and up down also tried skew settings.

I am currently set at 50 elevation (supposed to be at 43 according to dish network) and 115 Skew which is what I was advised to set it at.

I have tried setting my elevation correct and no signal. I raise to around 50 and can get 60% signal. I run check switch and it says 110 green ok and 119 shows CONN

I have a good line of sight

When the receiver shows "CONN" after a check switch test, that means it's connected properly, but not receiving signal, which in this case is most likely caused by the dish not being pointed properly. From the sound of it, you're picking up the 110 satellite on the 119 LNB

I would recommend using dishpointer.com to get your pointing angles. For a Dish 500, make sure to select the Multi-LNB 119W&110W so it give you the proper angles. If you post your zip code, I can also get the angles for you

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

I show the skew to be 115 on dishpointer.com which i have it set to. I show the elev to be 42.4 which i recieve no signal from. Again if I raise it to around 50 I get the one sat but not both. should I really be this far off base on my elev from what dish network and dishpointer tell me?

the elevation difference at your location is 4 degrees. you are currently seeing 110 with the "eye" that should be looking at 119. yes you will lose signal but should pick up another signal within a quarter of an inch eastward movement.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts