Satellite 61.5 saying wrong satelite and cant get channels

jchastain

Original poster
Aug 28, 2021
Mo
I was recently getting satellites 72 and 77. Since I wasn't getting any HD channels I decided to switch to 61.5 and 72. I can get 50 percent on the 61.5 signal bar on the point dish screen but the bar is red and it says wrong satellite. The satellite 72 is about 45 percent and green and I can get those channels. Not sure why I'm getting a signal on 61.5, but can't get the channels? Thanks

Because you're aimed at the wrong satellite! Perhaps a bit more detail would be in order, such as what LNBF you're using, and what you did to switch from 72/77 to
I'm using 1000.4 LNB eastern arc. To switch from 77 to 61.5 I tried changing the skew and azimuth but obviously that didn't work. Definitely not experienced in this so any help would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of my set up screens. I read in another post to unhook the dish then do a test switch to clear everything out. Will that help or not?

Attachments

• 20210829_082935.jpg
    20210829_082935.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 20210829_082955.jpg
    20210829_082955.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm using 1000.4 LNB eastern arc. To switch from 77 to 61.5 I tried changing the skew and azimuth but obviously that didn't work. Definitely not experienced in this so any help would be appreciated.
I had one of those for years on my 722 and received all 3 sats without issue. As Hipkat said, this LNB already receives 61.5 (and 72 and 77) if healthy and aimed correctly. If you moved your dish, to the east, it is unlikely that you will receive just 61.5 and 72 because the spacing on the 72/77 feedhorns is too close.

I wasn't receiving the 61.5 satelite signal before I moved it. Only 72 and 77. its back where it was originally and still not getting 61.5
OK, in that case, I think your 61.5 feedhorn (or the integrated switch) is defective. I recommend replacing the whole thing.

I still have my 1000.4 LNB if you want to chance it. But my tech (when replacing it with the hybrid) let it get away from him. I found it in the grass a week later, so it may or may not have survived the fall or the rainwater.

OK, in that case, I think your 61.5 feedhorn (or the integrated switch) is defective. I recommend replacing the whole thing.

I still have my 1000.4 LNB if you want to chance it. But my tech (when replacing it with the hybrid) let it get away from him. I found it in the grass a week later, so it may or may not have survived the fall or the rainwater.
I thought the dish tech only set up the dish to get 2 satelites. I have dish at another location and I only get 61.5 and 72 there, but get no signal on the 77 satelite. Is there something I'm missing? I'm using the 2nd port for my main line to my receiver. Does that need to be moved to the 61.5 port or leave it in the 2nd port?

Port 1 should be 77, and 2 72.7. If you are getting those two in that order, and unless you have a defective LNB, your skew is wrong. 72/77 are so close together that having somewhat of a poor skew will allow it to work, but 61.5 is on the far end of the LNB and a lot more sensitive to skew. What’s your zip?

Attachments

• 87FA6123-6A00-485A-9B74-009E12EE79BF.jpeg
    87FA6123-6A00-485A-9B74-009E12EE79BF.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 110
I thought the dish tech only set up the dish to get 2 satelites. I have dish at another location and I only get 61.5 and 72 there, but get no signal on the 77 satelite. Is there something I'm missing? I'm using the 2nd port for my main line to my receiver. Does that need to be moved to the 61.5 port or leave it in the 2nd port?
Does not matter, all ports should provide all satellites unless you have a external switch

Port 1 should be 77, and 2 72.7. If you are getting those two in that order, and unless you have a defective LNB, your skew is wrong. 72/77 are so close together that having a poor skew will allow it to work, but 61.5 is on the far end of the LNB and a lot more sensitive to skew. What’s your zip?
65020. I looked at the installation manual and got the skew off it.
Still confused why it says I'm getting a signal on satelite 61.5, but obviously it's not the correct satelite because the signal bar is red and it says wrong satellite.

Still confused why it says I'm getting a signal on satelite 61.5, but obviously it's not the correct satelite because the signal bar is red and it says wrong satellite.
Does it say that after checking switch or are you going off of the point dish screen? Does it list 61.5 as a valid sat on both inputs? Can you post a picture of the check switch screen showing 77/72?

Does it say that after checking switch or are you going off of the point dish screen? Does it list 61.5 as a valid sat on both inputs? Can you post a picture of the check switch screen showing 77/72?
Its saying that after I run the check switch, then go to the signal screen and its red. When I first check the signal sttength it's green for a few seconds then turns red on 61.5. 72 stays green the whole time. Is there a way to test the lnbf to see if it's bad?

Here is the thing. If the installation summary (first picture you posted) does not list 61.5 after running a check switch, you don't have reception of it, period. It doing that on the point dish screen means that it looked on the port it expects 61.5 to come from (port 3) and didn't find something, which makes it default to another LNB (in your case, 72.7). Once the receiver realizes that 72.7 is being received when 61.5 was asked for, that is when the receiver changes the bar to red to let you know something is wrong. This takes a few seconds.

You need to keep adjusting skew until running check switch lists all 3 sats on install summary, because until then what you get on point dish is inaccurate.

The manual for the 1000.4 says your skew should be 67, and dishpointer.com says 66. So i would adjust it up or down a degree until you see something. Another option is putting aluminum foil over the 77/72.7 LNBFs (the ones next to each other) so that the receiver does not confuse the signals, until you get a lock on 61.5

Another option is putting aluminum foil over the 77/72.7 LNBFs (the ones next to each other) so that the receiver does not confuse the signals, until you get a lock on 61.5
I don't like that option because it's likely he will peak only to 61.5. I thought the directions were to cover the 61.5 and 77 LNBs, peak the dish on 72, and then adjust skew until 61.5 comes in. Then 77 will be there as well.

I don't like that option because it's likely he will peak only to 61.5. I thought the directions were to cover the 61.5 and 77 LNBs, peak the dish on 72, and then adjust skew until 61.5 comes in. Then 77 will be there as well.
Well, if he is locked on to 77/72 in the correct LNBFs all he would adjust would be skew (and maybe a little of elevation?) to get 61.5, if none are in the correct place or you are staring from scratch then peaking on 72 (on the second port/LNB) is the correct step. Problem is his first picture shows that 72.7 is on the left-most LNB, so everything could be wrong.

Here is the thing. If the installation summary (first picture you posted) does not list 61.5 after running a check switch, you don't have reception of it, period. It doing that on the point dish screen means that it looked on the port it expects 61.5 to come from (port 3) and didn't find something, which makes it default to another LNB (in your case, 72.7). Once the receiver realizes that 72.7 is being received when 61.5 was asked for, that is when the receiver changes the bar to red to let you know something is wrong. This takes a few seconds.

You need to keep adjusting skew until running check switch lists all 3 sats on install summary, because until then what you get on point dish is inaccurate.

The manual for the 1000.4 says your skew should be 67, and dishpointer.com says 66. So i would adjust it up or down a degree until you see something. Another option is putting aluminum foil over the 77/72.7 LNBFs (the ones next to each other) so that the receiver does not confuse the signals, until you get a lock on 61.5
I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)