Satellite alignment problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomc42

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Lake Livingston, TX
Hello, I recently moved my receiver from my livingroom to bedroom, because the old time receiver in the bedroom went out. The bedroom only had 1 coax cable coming in so I purchased an HD splitter. Tuner 2 wasn't coming in and several channels weren't picking up, mostly local. I installed this slimline dish myself about 4 years ago and it made it through two major hurricanes, so if figured it needed a little tweek after all that time. my Aim went from tweeking to pretty much starting from scratch. Putting my zip into the receiver, it tells me to aim for satellite 5LNB and gives me the azimuth, elevation and tilt. I hone this thing in to what I consider perfection and it picks up nothing. I have had occasions in my attempts where I know I am aiming at a satellite other than the one prescribed and I can pick up readings and even watch many channels. I have no obstructions, my location is about 30 foot off the ground on my roof. I have no meters, just my wife on speaker phone telling me when the numbers change. I don't want to give in and don't want the service charge either. How could I be missing this 5LNB satellite completely? Does it really matter which satellite I hit? I want HD and Houston locals. Will more than one satellite cover this? Help, my wife is getting ticked at me...

First, if you have a regular non-SWM LNB you CAN"T use a splitter. Each tuner must have a direct connection to the dish. Get rid of the splitter and try alignment again.

You start the alignment process by getting the dish aligned on the 101 satellite.

:welcome to Satelliteguys tomc42!

texasbrit likely hit on your problem, do you have a swm setup or not. If not, then you can't use a splitter. Can you get the model number of the lnb for us?

It a model no. AU9 That splitter wouldn't cause me to miss a whole satellite would it? And, if I can only get one cable from the dish to this unit, will this be a problem? I would hope it would still work, except I couldn't Dvr something while watching something different.

AU9 is the Slimline dish, there should be a number on the lnb. It's on the end of the arm extending from the dish.

With two cables using a splitter, the two tuners will fight for control of the LNB and almost anything could happen.
You can use the DVR in single tuner mode with just one cable, just set that up in satellite setup.
It a model no. AU9 That splitter wouldn't cause me to miss a whole satellite would it? And, if I can only get one cable from the dish to this unit, will this be a problem? I would hope it would still work, except I couldn't Dvr something while watching something different.

The model number. It might be something like this: SL3SPIG

Tom,
IF you can only use 1 line to your recvr, I would suggest getting the Single Wire Multiswitch type Slimline DISH, you'll need the Power Supply and the SWM Splitter that goes with it if your sing more than 1 recvr .... remember this is a Special SWM Splitter, not just any splitter.

Okay. For now I'm just going to use 1 line, reset the receiver and go up on the roof and try to hit the right target. The particular satellite I supposedly need to hit has been hiding from me.

A1BJ01 ??

I don't find anything with that number in a google search. How about this, take off the lnb from the arm. How many ports are there to connect a cable to, one or four?

Four lines means you don't have a swm setup, so you can't use a splitter of any kind. How many dvrs and/or receivers do you have?

Currently one, with a brand new one sitting in the box ready to replace the old timey one that broke. So, I will have 2, if I can ever hit that dang satellite DirecTV 5 LNB. Also, WHOOPS... when moving my receiver to the from the livingroom to the bedroom... I kind of forgot to take those little converter thingies. So I probably could have picked up my local channels had I put them on there, and therefore never would have had to re adjust the aim. QUESTION: Using the dishpointer google map thing where the site shows you the azimuth line right on the google map with complete with aiming land marks and such, ARE THEY EVER OFF? I've found that my compass and phone compass is easily swayed from interference. It really gripes me that I can't hit that satellite. Guess I'll have to buy one of those sound meter gadgets... Thanks for yall's patience and help.

The lines on dishpointer are pretty accurate, but probably not perfect. Since you have four lines coming from the dish, and are going to be using four tuners, (two dvrs) you don't need to run new lines from the dish. You do need two lines to each dvr, so you need to find out exactly where the four lines go to.

There are four wires coming out of the arm.

I'd just like to point out that this does not necessarily equal a non-SWM LNB. There are plenty of situations where a tech would leave all four lines going into an arm, but still put on a new SWM LNB... Just sayin'. To be absolutely 100% certain, then LNB MUST be removed from the arm and the ports need to be counted.

Also, please don't buy a signal meter. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.