Satellite at Tailgate Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wcastrod

Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Indianapolis
Hey guys, I'm a brand new customer to Direct TV that just switched from AT&T Uverse mostly due to the free year of NFL Sunday Ticket. After reading through several different threads I have decided that it would be amazing to have HD satellite TV at my tailgates this fall. I have always dreamed of being able to watch games before and after the game I am attending since that is the American Dream.

I am posting on here to try and get some helpful tips as to make this run as smooth as possible without spending an arm and a leg to get all of the equipment. My plan was to buy a new dish from amazon for about $50 (3lnb SlimLine) assuming this will give me HD. Then I will be buying marine/deep cycle batteries with an inverter to supply the power to my dish, receiver and tv. The question I have for people that have done this setup, how exactly do you hook up all the batteries, inverter, and power cords to all of these devices?

If I had the cash to spring for a $1000 Honda Generator I would but that's gonna have to hold off for a couple years. I know that if I had the generator you just turn it on and use the plug in and away you go, but I'm not exactly sure how this all works using batteries/inverters. Do you just buy an inverter that can attach to the battery leads, or do you hook up the batteries to you car battery and use the cigarette lighters? I am a total rookie when it comes to this stuff, and I'm sure that getting the dish aligned will be harder than all these items. Sorry for the long post, but I do appreciate the help.

The inverter will just connect to the batteries. No need to get the car battery in the mix.
I would never try using the cigarette lighter connection for this as it most likely can't handle the current.
Also, make sure that the inverter is sized properly for the load of the TV and receiver.

I do this very thing. Get a phase III dish (smaller) and an SL3 LNB.

I have a 400w inverter and two marine batteries. Get a LCD screen, HD receiver, HDMI cable and a lot of beer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts