Satellite AV Contest - GEOSATpro microHD - Enter to Win - Drawing on 6/11/2012

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Free GEOSATpro microHD - Enter Today to Win!
Contest ends 11:59pm PT 6/10/2012

GEOSATpro_Front_Reflect.png

Be the first to own and review the new GEOSATpro microHD DVBS S2, Mpeg2/4 satellite receiver that you helped design and create! The microHD receivers won't be available for resale for several more weeks, but here is your chance to win a free microHD including free shipping anywhere in the continental US or Canada.

Over the next few weeks we will host several contests for SatelliteGuys members to give satellite guys and gals a chance to win a microHD before this new receiver is available to the general public. Is there a catch? You bet! If you win, we simply requesting that you post your review to SatelliteGuys or any other forum that you are a member. We want honest reviews and an opportunity to address any issues that you might find to help improve the microHD and continue to implement the features that you have requested.

How to enter:
Reply to this thread and tell us about your favorite childhood summer past-time or activity. Did you have a favorite swimming hole, go fishing with grandpa, enjoy community festivals, watermelon eating contests? What made your summers fun as a young kid?

Small print:
This contest is open to any SatelliteGuys member who is in good standing with the exception of Satellite AV staff and members of their families. One entry per SatelliteGuy Member. Contest ends 11:59 pm, PST, 6/10/2012.

A drawing of two winners to each receive one GEOSATpro microHD. The drawing will be made by a member of our staff on June 11th, 2012. If a winner does not respond to our SatelliteGuys PM notification within 10 days, the prize will be forfeited and the unit will be offered to another contestant by random drawing.

This prize will be shipped free of charge via FedEx Ground or USPS to any continental US or Canadian residence or business address. If you are outside of the Continental US or Canada, you will be responsible for all shipping cost and any brokerage and/or customs fees.

Good Luck to All SatelliteGuys Members!

100_7806.jpg
YEP.... Here they are!!!

Our parents on a rare occasion would let us sleep out under the stars. Telling stories in the dark, horse play with flashlights, and playing kick the can in the dark was the best.
(kick the can? does anyone even know what that is anymore!)

images

Last edited:
My grandparents had an above ground pool and I use to stay with them in the summer, at night after it got dark we went outside in the pool and the water felt warm like bathwater. We use to walk around the pool to create a whirlpool then grab some floats and float around the pool while looking up at the stars in the hot summer night air.

Dang the picture is just enough out of focus that I can't scan the QR code on the box. :D (Edit... actually got it to scan and it took me to geosatpro.com :D)

i use to could not wait till summer so i could kick my shoes off and go swimming in the creek. It was common back then for all kid's to go barefooted now days i could not walk two ft outside without shoes on Ha Ha.

My Grandparents owned a cottage on Lake Huron in Michigan. We used to go there every summer and swam and fished off their dock. We caught mostly pan fish and perch. After we cleaned them my Grandmother would pan fry them and we would have them for dinner. In the evening we would sit on the back porch overlooking the lake and watch the Great Lakes freighters go by on their way to and from the Soo Locks. My Grandfather used to be a merchant marine so he told us stories of what it was like living on those big ships. We loved being at the cottage and hated it when we had to go back home!

Swimming in our backyard pool and trying to dunk each other. Back then drinking soda was a real treat during the summer and not a daily event like it is today. I also enjoyed catching fireflies in a jar at night.

As a boy, Summer time fishing for me was memorable, even though I never caught anything bigger than one foot long.:eek:

Just about every summer we would go to the lake for a large family reunion. My cousins and I would spend just about sunup to post sundown in the water.

Summer time for me growing up meant hanging out with my friends. We would either go swimming at someone's house, put the sprinkler under the trampoline and have a good time at one of our other friend's houses, or just play outside and either ride bikes or play in our neighborhood.

Though we did play kick the can (I certainly remember that!), the best activity will confirm my geekiness. With no school during the summer, I could stay up all night long, if I chose, to DX on the AM broadcast band using our Philips floor model monaural record player/AM radio tuner. In the early hours of the morning, I could receive Boston, Ciudad Juarez, Pittsburgh, Des Moines, Cincinnati, Chicago, etc. from Vancouver. Before the Internet, and for a kid whose world went little beyond maybe 10 miles from home (one bicycle journey), this was exciting stuff to hear announcers talking "practically from the other side of the planet" directly into our rec room through the Philips!

Small Step for Man.._edit.jpg

Last edited:
Me and my bro were stuck in Yuma AZ a few summers growing up, so our idea of fun was sitting in front of the television playing Atari 2600 (yes, I'm that old!) as it was way too hot outside to play until the sun went down.

My brother and I would always look forward to summer, because it meant that we would be going camping/fishing with my grandparents. Two weeks at a time for me and then for him. It was great, because they had an old WWII jeep that we would take into the back country to find the best fishing spots. The surrounding woods, part of one of California's many National Forests, was at one time used by logging companies that built networks of rail lines (think Shay locomotives). It was especially fun to find those abandoned lines, some that still had ties present, and follow them when the fishing wasn't so good.

Good times!

Going to our Summer Home at the end of the school year. Back years ago we spent the whole summer at our Summer Home. We would stop at the local country store and purchased kites and things we needed for the lake. One year my father surprised us with portable television sets for each room.(W.T. Grants sets) We arrived and found them in our rooms. No cable back then. We had to watch them with the Antenna. img105.jpgimg365.jpgCamp1.jpegCamp3.jpeg
We swam at the lake and really had fun. img358.jpg Some photos from over the years.

Attachments

• country store.jpg
    country store.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 175
Here's my entry.

Living on the Gulf Coast of Florida, my summers were filled with weekly drives out to the beaches area. This was in a time when you could actually still see the beach. No condos, mega high rise hotels, mega bars/nightclubs, etc. existed. It was just miles and miles of sugary white sand. We'd find a nice spot to park and then it was hours of playing in the sand and surf!

Good times, good times.

My childhood was magical. It's the only way I can describe it, and that doesn't really.

I can remember when I was maybe eight or nine. A group of us began reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson all at the same time. We kids talked about the story. We made wooden swords and fixed up eye patches out of bits of cloth. We were pirates one day and Jim Hawkins the next. We all wish we could have hidden in the apple barrel.

Although the ocean wasn't far, the only body of water we kids really had was a small local lake inside of an undeveloped preserve. There was an island in the middle of that lake. It was called Mary's Island, and all kinds of stories went around about corpses, the island being haunted and how Mary's ghost would strangle whoever set foot on there at night.

But the call of the "sea" was too great. Three of us found some fallen trees in the preserve and took a week with our little hatchets and dull saws to fashion a raft. Of course it had a kind of sail - a four foot square of some kind of plaid cloth. The raft, however had neither centerboard nor rudder - just a sail. It was amazing how we felt just looking at that sail. We were real and true buccaneers, making ready for a voyage to the South Seas. Those days of preparation were remarkable. We had hidden the raft in the most overgrown and secret place we could find. every day we came back, it was still there. We even got to keeping the whole thing a secret from our parents and buddies. In our imaginations, this was not going to be an afternoon trip, but a voyage on the high seas, into danger and treachery.

So one breezy morning we readied ourselves. We got our wooden swords and eye patches. We got our punting poles and oar-like pieces of wood. And as we stood on that wobbly raft, we all had a faraway look in our eyes, and we set sail. Without rudder or centerboard, the wind caught our little plaid sail and blew us off course. We struggled to get back control. No sooner than getting back on course, the wind would again have its way with us. That one half mile voyage turned into something closer to three. Late in the afternoon, the wind died down, and we were able to make headway toward the island. When we finally reached it, we were exhausted, and you would have thought we were landing on Hispaniola in 1492, or maybe on Kong Island, ready to see dinosaurs and giant gorillas.

It was so dark. But it wasn't quiet. A gaggle of noisy geese had nested there, and as we felt our way through the dark and the underbrush, the honking and displays of the geese got more and more raucous. Soon we were being chased around the island by geese protecting their nests. It was easy to imagine that the sounds behind us weren't all geese, but really were Mary's ghost, coming to do us in. We weren't on that island for more than twenty minutes when we finally got back to our "ship" and shoved off.

There was still a bit of light, and the steady evening wind sent us straight to the shore. We rowed hard anyway. Even though we were dead tired, when we got to the edge, we just left our ship and ran and ran home through the preserve. Every sound we heard behind us was Mary's ghost. We didn't feel safe until we emerged from the woods and found ourselves finally under the familiar street lights. When we got home, we all smelled awful and fell asleep.

The best thing about being a kid was the wonderful way imagination and reality could blend. On our pirate voyage we faced danger and death. We told stories about it, properly embellished over time. The best times I ever spent as a kid were times like these - imagination becoming real. I miss those times. I miss them awfully much.

Staying out in the woods all day cutting new trails to ride our bikes on. Would have been awesome to have had googlemaps back then to map them out before hand! DOH!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

when i was a kid i started driving a 'h' farmall tractor in the field at 7. by the time i was 12 i was running any piece of equipment dad had including the d8 cat. mostly though i liked running the combine in the wheat fields. and then driving the truck hauling the grain. that might seem wierd but those were fun days. charlie

Growing up in a small town in western Montana during the 60's was an iconic story. In the summer the many miles of irrigation canals would be turned on. With all the spillways and floons and other special water effects. We spent many summers swimming and floating, jumping and diving in the rivers and canals. The rich kids went to the plain ordinary nothing special public swimming pool, boring...We had pirate adventures and historic explorations to unkown lands. On one occasion we (three of us) were floating the ditch in a 8' x 3' x 12" deep aluminum pan. We aimed to float every inch of that ditch :) This ditch went under an intersection of two major roads diagonally via a square concrete culvert. The water was so high we had to lay down in the pan to fit into the opening. We should have checked the other side for clearance but kids will be kids and we didn't. Well there was not enough clearance to exit the culvert and the bouancy of the boat got us stuck in that culvert half way through. Wedged tight against the top of the culvert. Well my younger brother and another friend that had elected not to go through the culvert got very worried when we didn't come out the other side and called emergency services. My buddies and I assertained what had happenned while in the culvert and decided we had to scuttle the ship and swim for it. It took all three of us pushing against the top of the culvert to finally sink the boat. And when we came out, there were two frogmen just getting suited up to come in after us. And a fire truck and ambulance and half a dozen boys in blue(the whole force) OMG! were we in trouble now! But as I remembered they were so happy none of us were hurt we didn't catch much trouble for it. So I ended up with one of those amusing stories to tell the kids.

When I grew up in the summers, I did not have internet nor did I have any video games. Atari and other 8-bit came along but my parents could not afford them. So I spent most of my early summers outside all day playing in the woods, or helping on the small farm we had. When I got into my teens I started finding old radios and other electronics that people would give me and I started taking them apart to see how they worked. I got into amateur radio and by the time I was 19 I had built my own 2-meter/440 repeater system. It was all from scratch expect for the exciter board and receiver I built from a Hamtronics kit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)