Satellite Changes Coming - May 31st, 2015

My current set up is this. Dish 500 with L and B is at 1:10 and 119 with a 322 receiver. I'm blind, Sue HD is not important to me, but maybe some of the channels might be interesting to have. It sounds like I don't have to do anything at the moment. I did notice that Springfield, MO is listed as an eastern arc migration. Does that mean that my locals at 1:10 it will go away and that this will upgrade me anyway? Or does this not apply to me at this moment? Also if I did choose to upgrade nice set up, what would be a good set up for me? I'm thinking of is 722, or a 720 2K. What do you guys think? Sorry for any typos, dictation sometimes is silly for me. I swear it hates me sometimes LOL.

This is very interesting.

Here's to hoping that they can re-use some of the bandwidth for better HD quality, though something tells me that they very likely will not.
If they'd simply bump the bitrate even a small amount, and (more importantly) go with actual HD resolution(s) (not the "lite" 1440 resampled madness), I'm sure it'd be a huge improvement.

I've seen better "HD" quality with fairly low bitrates than 99% of what Dish claims is "HD." One can dream.

Reactions: Rolling Joe
someone told me on the other site that once transition happens there will be room for 80 to 100 new hd channels do you know if this is true?just asking?

Allen bluegras

There aren't 80 to 100 new HD channels available... And, when transition happens on both arcs is anybody's guess....

someone told me on the other site that once transition happens there will be room for 80 to 100 new hd channels do you know if this is true?just asking?

Allen bluegras

I seem to remember the claim has been a gain of 50% of current bandwidth (changing to all 8PSK). Anyone is free to do the math, as the saying goes.

Imo for non sports fans, 90% plus of what's being broadcast is garbage.

We don't need more channels, just better content with less commercial breaks.

Imo for non sports fans, 90% plus of what's being broadcast is garbage.

We don't need more channels, just better content with less commercial breaks.
Think your statement applies to sports fans as well.There are way too many watered down sports channels just as there are entertainment channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There aren't 80 to 100 new HD channels available... And, when transition happens on both arcs is anybody's guess....

Blugras asked about bandwidth, not channel availabliity. That said, if you take the dozen+ RSNs, the missing premium channel "screens", and another one to two dozen basic channels available in HD, you would easily get halfway to that 80 to 100 number. And as Dish has amply demonstrated, they have no problem filling up "extra" bandwidth with pay-per-view channels. After that, whatever is left, as kansanian said above, could (and should) be used to give us actual 1920x1080 HD.

Allen bluegras

Blugras asked about bandwidth, not channel availabliity. That said, if you take the dozen+ RSNs, the missing premium channel "screens", and another one to two dozen basic channels available in HD, you would easily get halfway to that 80 to 100 number. And as Dish has amply demonstrated, they have no problem filling up "extra" bandwidth with pay-per-view channels. After that, whatever is left, as kansanian said above, could (and should) be used to give us actual 1920x1080 HD.

Actually, bluegras didn't mention bandwidth at all, just channels. If you knew bluegras well, and most of us here do, you would know that he is only interested in getting as much HD as possible whether it makes sense or not...

There is a good 30-40 RSNs needing full time HD and at least 10 premium channels not in HD. We are already at around half of that claim. Need I go on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you can count the RSNs as an HD channel Dish doesn't have. I do get the point you are making though.

Actually, bluegras didn't mention bandwidth at all, just channels. If you knew bluegras well, and most of us here do, you would know that he is only interested in getting as much HD as possible whether it makes sense or not...

Blugras said "someone told me on the other site that once transition happens there will be room for 80 to 100 new hd channels".

"Room for..." Sounds like bandwidth to me.

i was talking about bandwidth you guys after all the rsn plus the preniums hd channels we are missing and then the channels that have hd feeds that should take you to 100 am i right about that

allen bluegras

I thought Mike reported a 30% gain in a post somewhere in this thread.

Dish gets roughly 30mbit/sec on the SD QPSK transponders and roughly 41-42 on the 8PSK ones. So, it is about 1/3 more bits. Of course, that would only be seen on the SD TPs used for national channels, SD locals on spots are not going to buy any national channels:

On 119 that would be (according to "the list") TPs: 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, & 22 or 16 Transponders
On 110 that would be TPs: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 21, & 24 or 15 Transponders
On 129 that would be TPs 21

So essentially around 32 transponders converted, assuming 10mbit each 320 megabits/sec increase. If they do 5mbit/HD channel, enough room for 64 channels, 4mbit 80 channels. But, you have to have matching EA bandwidth available too. Perusing 61.5 and 72.7 it looks like they probably have 5 TPs worth free, which would be around 200 mbits actually free. So, more likely 40-50 HD channels of bandwidth, or maybe 10-15 4k TV channels depending on how Dish wants to spend their bit budget.

Remember EA is essentially 64 (well 2 TPs could go away since they are officially unassigned) transponders, 32 on 61.5 and 32 on 72.7. Yes they use some on 77, but it is not really primary. On WA they have 82 TPs, far more capacity.

** Usual disclaimer these numbers just come from a quick perusal of "the list" and Dish network could have completely different plans for any possible bit budget increases seen with an 8psk conversion.

Reactions: TheKrell
It may take some time, but when 4K becomes more of the norm, they will need all the bandwidth that they can get. By that time many improvements will have been made. Another migration to another technology standard just like MPEG-4 today.

It may take some time, but when 4K becomes more of the norm, they will need all the bandwidth that they can get. By that time many improvements will have been made. Another migration to another technology standard just like MPEG-4 today.
Or DISH will come up with a new mpeg 6 or 8 that will fit more 4k channels on one sat transponder without effecting the picture quality. Or what we will call 4k lite. Just like they did with our Hd channels & we started calling them HD lite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)