Satellite Changes Coming - May 31st, 2015

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DirecTV is launching 2 new satellites in the next couple of years that will have a whole new frequency band on board in addition to all the regular Ku/Ka. Supposedly that's what they're planning to use for 4K.
I realize that. I didn't say there won't be 4K, but there isn't any now, and likely won't be supported by any existing receiver.

I guess "near term" is a relative thing. For me it is in the next year or so. Even then, I have doubts how much broadcast 4K content there will really be. Undoubtedly some premiums and sports, but question it beyond that at least for the next five years or so.

I realize that. I didn't say there won't be 4K, but there isn't any now, and likely won't be supported by any existing receiver.

I guess "near term" is a relative thing. For me it is in the next year or so. Even then, I have doubts how much broadcast 4K content there will really be. Undoubtedly some premiums and sports, but question it beyond that at least for the next five years or so.

Didn't know you knew. Sorry, was just trying to be helpful.

And I agree with what you're saying.

Didn't know you knew. Sorry, was just trying to be helpful.

And I agree with what you're saying.
No reason to be sorry.

My poorly main point is DirecTV's 4K support is probably only 0.01% or something like that of their user base. It is a marketing ploy. It allows them to make a 4K claim in their ads, and out of that supported base gather some information if folks are really willing to pay for 4K.

DirectTV is not putting any 4K content on their satellites.

It is all internet based, no DirecTV receiver supports 4K content, only the Samsung 4K RVU TVs can view it.

There will eventually be a few niche 4K channels on the satellites, but there isn't any now or in the near term.
Didn't know about the streaming 4k ,but I'm sure that they will eventually have 4k content on their DIRECTV satellites sooner or later. DISH will have to compete as well.

Dish launches new satellites to new orbital locations from time to time. For example, they added 72 and 77 to the mix.
72 is a Canadian slot that Bell ExpressVu had planned to use, they ended up not using that slot and Dish got permission from the FCC and the CRTC to use that slot. The satellite that is there now, Nimiq 5 is owned by Telesat Canada, and Dish or Echostar, not sure which one, has a lease. 77W is a Mexican DBS slot, most of it now, is used for Dish Mexico, there were several locals on it until recently. I think abut all of them are gone and it is mostly Spanish language programming for the Mexican market now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts