Satellite Dish Retail information

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ground Block

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 16, 2004
Hello all,

Long story short ...I have been installing Dish Network and DirecTV for approximately 2 years. I absolutely love it, seriously. Well I want to take the step into the retail world of dish and I can't seem to find information that is not so conflicting that it leaves me confused. I have read over the DirecTV retailer application form and it differs from what has been told to me by some people that are already retailers. So would anyone like to fill me in (in depth) if they have the time. I would like to start with DirecTV first, then delve into Dish Network later. I consider myself to be a very competent installer (who doesn't) and also have sales background.

Thanks in advance to all, even those who are thinking to themselves "why would this fool want to become a retailer".

"why would this fool want to become a retailer".

Nothing foolish about wanting to get ahead. And all of us loved the business at one time or another.

If you have enough good sales around you, it's worth your while to become a retailer. I recommend Dish first, because they pay better.

Be aware of the costs of being a retailer. Both require a storefront, and insurance, $500,000. or so. Dish charges full retail price for the equipment, so your inventory can tie up lots of capital. D* has a 90 day buydown which helps, but you better sell before the 90 days or be penalized. Your competition is Dish and DirecTV direct selling and joining with telco companies offering better rates than you are able to offer, nationwide telemarketing retailers and a much stronger cable TV industry. And remember, you're guarranteeing every sale you make to Dish or DirecTV for one year. No matter how good your work, how long your warranty, you're going to have deadbeats not pay their bill. Charge backs hurt!

Both companies are cutting out the independant retailer from servicing the customer after the sale. You can't compete with their low prices.

I respect anyone stepping up to better themselves. I just recommend you run the numbers before you jump.

Good luck to you!

Don

I have a friend that is also a retailer and tells me that his techs (installers) makes more money than he does. If you can do enough installs in a day and good enough money from each one then you may be better off just staying an installer. The good thing about being a retailer is that you would not have to install as many systems to make just as much money but you have to find the sales and it can cost a lot sometimes to find those sales plus all that upfront cost. With being an installer you dont have all that money at risk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts