Satellite dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
you need at least a 30" dish, but the larger the better

I have a Winegard and it seems to be pretty sturdy :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Anyone with a Winegard 76 cm-how much rain/snow fade do you get with it?

snowfade...never had that

rainfade depends on the cloudcover and the signal. Unless its a downpour (or really thick clouds), CCTV can still come in.

Conversely, feeds can go out right away

chgolatin2 said:
Any recommendations for a dish? Which one will be the best for FTA use??? Thanks!

I mention this only because you didn't say, but if you only plan on receiving KU band signals then please ignore me, but if you want both KU and C band freebies, then you will need far larger than is being suggested. Just thought I would throw that in here.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Anyone with a Winegard 76 cm-how much rain/snow fade do you get with it?
I have a winegard 76cm/ .5 db lnb pointed at g10, when we get very heavy snowfalls I lose some of the weaker transponders, and if its a nor'easter (read as blizzard conditions) then I lose everything on that satellite. Ditto for heavy rain showers. Keep in mind my location though, g10 is at a 18 degree elevation for me which might have something to do with it (long slant angle through the clouds). On the plus side these dish's are VERY well constructed. With hindsite I wish I had forked out the extra $ and purchased a 100 cm Winegard dish and/or a better lnb like the invacom .3db.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like the Winegard is good performer. I'm glad since mine should arrive today! I wondered about heavy snow-when I had Dish Network the snow never really bothered it, except when it accumulated on the dish. From what I read G10 is a little tougher to get anyway so its not surprising it might cut out in tough conditions.

I decided to get the smaller dish for now because I want to motorize and from some of the horror stories I read ( :) ) I though I might have my hands full as it is. Sounds like the small Winegard is easy to motorize. I was also concerned after hearing Cascade burned his 2100 up with a larger dish. I figure walk before you run and if I want to upgrade I can probably find a use for the old dish.

drhydro said:
I have a winegard 76cm/ .5 db lnb pointed at g10, when we get very heavy snowfalls I lose some of the weaker transponders, and if its a nor'easter (read as blizzard conditions) then I lose everything on that satellite. Ditto for heavy rain showers. Keep in mind my location though, g10 is at a 18 degree elevation for me which might have something to do with it (long slant angle through the clouds). On the plus side these dish's are VERY well constructed. With hindsite I wish I had forked out the extra $ and purchased a 100 cm Winegard dish and/or a better lnb like the invacom .3db.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Cascade burned his 2100 up with a larger dish.

Keep in mind that the motor was well over a year old and has been used practically every day - I really did thrash the life out of it and the usage it got was way over what any "normal" motor would experience.

I understand. I figured go the easy route for a newbie. If I enjoy this as much as I think I will, it would be no problem to upgrade. Been thinking about either this or Cband for years. But, maybe in a week or 2, I'll be posting a thread entitled "Giving Up For Now 2" and joining UFN. :D

Cascade said:
Keep in mind that the motor was well over a year old and has been used practically every day - I really did thrash the life out of it and the usage it got was way over what any "normal" motor would experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts