Satellite distribution question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I wasn't really sure where I would get the best group of guys to answer this but I figured us FTA'ers have done some crazy setups so let me run this by you.

My cable co currently has channels 2-130 jammed back with carriers of analog/digital. I have the cable distributed around the house to various sets, PC tuners, Slingbox, etc. I have my Fortec KU setup feeding TV out on channel 3 to a TV in the PC room on a A/B switch. I also have a DishNetwork 722 hooked up to feed the master bedroom with a A/B switch on that TV to switch back and forth between cable and the 722 SD output. So here's what I want to do.

Analog channels stop at 71 on cable. I saw a notch filter for 75-80 and I know that there are now QAM channels I watch or need on those channels. So I figured I could "clean" out those channels from my house. I'll put the 722 on 77 and get a modulator for the Fortec and put it on channel 79. Then I'll combine these two signals into one coax with a 2 way splitter backwards. I already tested this with channel 3 and 77 on a little TV and works fine but no cable TV signal was involved. Once I combine the signals they will go through an AMP, and then backfeed it into one of the lines that comes down to the TV in the living room. I'm not sure if this work and don't want to waste my money. So do you think this will work?

I'm basically wanting to be able to walk around to any TV and have my analog cable channels 2-71 and then flip to 77 for the 722 output and then flip to 79 to get my Fortec KU output.

I know Brian at SatelliteAV can give you ALL the information on exactly how to make that all work, BUT for my 2 cents worth, I put a cheap one-way cable amplifier in line with the coax from the cable company which eliminated a back feed problem when I was feeding one house cable with cable tv and 2 vcr's! The rest sounds good. I had a gain control on the amplifier and set it all the way down so I did not have signal problems - ie overload.

Somewhere in a previous post on this subject, I described the details of how a buddy with cable, and three (?) Dish receivers merged it all together.
He found a sweet deal on a low-pass filter that I think rolled off around channel 80.
I believe they're in the $30..50 range, but he found some for $10 on eBay.
Brand... Microcircuits?

He then set two or three agile-modulators to 83, 85, & 87 (?)
They were a close-out at Radio Shack for around $25.
Sadoun appears to sell a similar unit, and at least on eBay, offers two or more at significantly reduced prices.
I'm uncertain as to the ability of either to manage stereo audio, but that's something you can look into.

Then, he took the incoming cable through the filter, along with the output of all the modulators, and put them into the outputs of a standard resistive 4:1 splitter.
The normal "input" was now the output, with all signals combined.
He lucked out, as all the signal levels were good enough to feed his house wiring.
The filter prevented the modulators from going out onto the cable, and it also kept any cable crap on his modulator frequencies (chan 80-90) from interfering with his own transmissions.

More info on this lashup, and an ex-TV engineer with a more exotic house system can be found under my name, in the last 18 months, in the FTA section.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)