Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Greetings from Memphis, TN and day 2 of the Satellite Expo!

We got a chance to walk the floor and see some really cool stuff. And we are happy to give you your first looks at a few new cool products.

We start off with a product which I must admit I laughed at when I first heard of it and saw it. And that is King Controls "Rain Shield"

You might remember PSB wrote a very glowing review at the product a few weeks ago (Click here for Petes review)

When I read Petes review I like others said that this product cant prevent rain fade, and its true this product can't do anything to protect you from atmospheric rain fade but it does help things out greatly with rain on your dish.

I was given a demo of this product today and after seeing the demo I am now a believer! In fact I was so impressed with this product I got Claude from DishStore.NET to come and watch the next demo, he was so impressed he ordered some to use on the Dishes he sells and it is possible we could see this product on sale at DishStore.NET soon.

I should note that you DO NOT have to put this on your dish, the only ones who should coat their dish with this are the folks who get snow and ice stuck to the dish in the winter.

Instead all you need to do is coat the plastic LNB cover!

For the demo we had a dish hooked up to a Dish receiver which was tuned to the point dish screen. On the screen we saw the signal meter. The meter was at about a 105 signal. Over the LNB on the dish was a shower head which acted like rain.

When the "rain" was turned on the 10 signal dropped down to below 30 (which means if you were watching TV you would lose your picture.

After that the lnb was switched with another LNB which was coated with the Dish Shield product. Again the signal on the screen was at 105. The shower head was turned on again to rain on the LNB. The signal dropped however the signal was at about 75 - 80! Now with this heavy "rain" it was still possible to watch satellite tv!

Folks Rain Shield from King Contol is a great product. I didn't believe it in but now I am a true believer!

The next product came to us from SatelliteSkins.COM and these are pastic skins which clip to your dish, these skins come in over 1000 designs and feature a number of images as well as sports logos and more.

(CLICK HERE to see one!)

No you can turn your plain old dish into a dish you can be proud to show off. These skins from satelliteskins.com give your dish personallity. We hope to have these available to SatelliteGuys members soon!

Next up was a cool product for the FTA Guys, this product called Point S@T and Point S@T Pro. These products come to us from a company called ITB.

The Point S@T looks like an automotive compass, however it has hash marks which list Satellites in the sky.

To use this product you set the azmouth for your area on the dish. You then attach one of these units to the LNB of your dish. You now turn your dish until you are pointed to the satellite you want to receive. When your satellite is lined up with the arrow on the Point Sat you are now aimed at the satellite! The only thing left to do is adjust the elevation, once you have that done you have aimed your dish!

The pro version has two coax jacks which lets you hook up your lnb to your receiver and has a jack so you can hook a pair of headphones so now you can audibly point and peak your dish!

You can see this product here, here and here

ITB was also showing off some cool almost clear Dishes. Not only were they almost clear but for some reason they asked us to step on one of the Dish's we did so squising the dish below our feet, however once we got off the dish, the dish spung back into shape. You can see these dishes here

We also saw another intesting dish, this one is by NoahTek and is the Jaysat H500. This Dish looks almost like a stop sign, it hangs on your house like a painting. It looks nothing like a satellite dish.

You can see it here, here and here.

I would have liked to see this dish working however they did not have a working model available. But this is something to keep your eye on.

I need to get to bed for the night, but those were just some of the cool things we saw here today at the expo. More to come tommorow.

BTW as you might have noticed we added a live webcam to the site today from the show floor. :) The Internet Cafe was packed all day and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Thanks for visiting SatelliteGuys!

I missed the show this year, but gladly see something really nice products on the trade show. Just wonder what the C band dish for. Do you mind put the name under the pics ?? wonder who they are.

Dish Network tried selling Sports Dishes a few years ago, but that program did not last long.

What I like about these skins is you can change them as you wish to fit your mood or the season. I would like to see them come out with some Holiday Themed Skins, such as one for Halloween, and others for Christmas, which can turn your dish into part of your Holiday Decorations. :)

More coming today!

Clear Dish

Does anybody know the brand of the clear satellite dish in the picture 6 of 65? KUSatellites in the background.
Thanks...

derdude said:
Does anybody know the brand of the clear satellite dish in the picture 6 of 65? KUSatellites in the background.
Thanks...
I'm interested in those almost-clear dishes as well. They are from ITB. I talked to their guy briefly about them and he says they are available now. I asked about sizes, specifically I would like a 1m or 1.2m dish (if they can make them sturdy enough) but he says right now they just have a 24" and a 31" (80cm). He says the larger ones might not be doable because of the materials used--they wouldn't quite hold up.

-Happily posting from my PowerBook at the SatelliteGuys Internet Cafe. Off now to my next seminar... :)

I just got an email from ITB which makes a few corrections on things.

We are currently selling the 60cm and 80cm clear dish (made of synthetic resin and mesh inside): these are very strong and sturdy but not like the UNBREAKABLE dish everybody was stepping on.

The UNBREAKABLE dish is also synthetic resin (a different kind) and has no mesh inside: it is silver flake paint, since silver is a great conductor this is why the dish has excellent gain and will perfom the same or better than metal dish. We will have the UNBREAKABLE dish in production in September and will be launching it at the CES show in Vegas in January 2006.

These guys have some good ideas and their products stood out as being different then most of the other booths at the show. I really liked what I saw from these guys!

The C-band antenna was actually C/Ku, a motorized 10-footer from Superior Antenna (SAMI), which was used to display MPEG-2 FTA as well as 4DTV reception with an HDD-201 high definition decoder. I set it up, as well as several antennas modified for multifeed reception, to provide further FTA signals to the Volunteer Satellite booth #104 at the show.

Three pix are found on Day 3 photos, showing myself on left,
Tom Taylor in center, and Jamal Sadoun on the right.

It was a sparsely attended show compared to earlier outings, but
still well worth attending. Bob Cooper made a surprise appearance
(I missed it) and did not stay long, but left some info at the DMS Int'l booth for ordering a DVD or multiple CD set that provides about 4000 pages of PDF
files encompassing the entire output of Coop's Satellite Digest from 1979 to whenever it quit publishing (about 1988 if I remember correctly).
A similar offer is made of 10 years' output of the New Zealand based
satellite magazine that Mr Cooper now writes from the North Island.
And still another offer under one DVD that provides EVERY manual that
Bob Cooper either wrote or sold in the 70s and 80s.

Mike Kohl
Global Communications

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts