Satellite feed (RG6/Coax) was cut (outside)... can I use a coupler to reconnect it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
One of the RG6 lines coming from the LNBF was accidently cut near the ground. Could I just add new ends to the split cable and connect them with a barrel coupler?

My ladder can't quite reach the LNBF to run a new cable and I really don't want to have Dish send a technician if they don't need to.

Here's the approximate lengths:

LNBF -> cut = ~15 feet
cut -> outside ground block = ~7 feet
outside ground block to inside DPP44 = ~10 feet

I'm really hoping I can just repair the cable by putting on new ends and calling it a day.

If I do just add a barrel coupler, do I need to wrap it in electrical tape or anything since it's outside?

One of the RG6 lines coming from the LNBF was accidently cut near the ground. Could I just add new ends to the split cable and connect them with a barrel coupler?

My ladder can't quite reach the LNBF to run a new cable and I really don't want to have Dish send a technician if they don't need to.

Here's the approximate lengths:

LNBF -> cut = ~15 feet
cut -> outside ground block = ~7 feet
outside ground block to inside DPP44 = ~10 feet

I'm really hoping I can just repair the cable by putting on new ends and calling it a day.

If I do just add a barrel coupler, do I need to wrap it in electrical tape or anything since it's outside?

You can perform the repair as you have stated. Everything inside will still work as normal. You can wrap the connection in electrical tape, as it is probably in any toolbox in any household. There are better options for sealing it, but the tape will suffice. Try to make sure the repaired section remains horizontal if possible. At a minimum, it decreases the amount of water/moisture that might seep into the repaired section versus you leaving the repaired section in a vertical position.

That tape is a bad idea,it will work for a temporary fix but,it will draw moisture in and you will eventually lose signal.I would recommend using some compression fittings,or if you can possibly get the barrel and spliced section under the eave of the roof.

Thanks for the replies!

What do you mean by compression fittings though? I'm going to attach new end connectors to each side of the split coax using compression fittings but then I need a way to join both ends of the split together...

Thanks for the replies!

What do you mean by compression fittings though? I'm going to attach new end connectors to each side of the split coax using compression fittings but then I need a way to join both ends of the split together...

Use a standard barrel connector. It the same thing sticking out from the wall plate that you screw the coax cable from your receiver or television to. Make sure the center of the barrel is blue-colored. It passes the higher satellite frequencies better. There are barrels with clear, red, yellow, and purple-colored centers that will work. But for optimum performance, use the blue-colored barrels.

Thanks for the replies!

That's what I meant compression F connecters.I wasn't sure what type F connecters you were going to use.You can also get weather boots that would go one either end of the barrel and should cover it entirely.They also make some barrel connecters that have the rubber seals.

As suggested, use compression fittings, 3Ghz barrel, in addition I would slip over the connectors a short PVC tubing and fill it with 100% silicone caulking.

Last edited:
I would try and make your barrel above ground and run a new cable and bury it. Too much to risk by burying a barreled connections because of moisture in the ground. Maybe use a ground block and attach it to the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts