Satellite Finder + Meter

Is it worth to create such a satellite meters + finders, as mentioned above in "4."

• Yes. Absolutely. I appreciate if much more functions, with lower price. (Sub-$300, sub-$150).

• Nah. Relax, man. Nobody needs it here. Everybody's happy with existing models ($500-up).

• Neither of the above, and I am going to write some comment about this

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, now I've gone and done it. I just ordered the XR-3. I'll look into buying the XR-S2ACM-01 when I buy a 16/32 APSK capable receiver. Hopefully the wife won't find out........

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
What module did you order with the XR-3? The XR-S2ACM-01 module is the same price as the Turbo S2 module, $310. For FTA, I don't see a reason to buy the Turbo instead of the ACM module.

BTW... Dr. HD left a sample build of their new meter. Very impressive. They are working on a few functions for release firmware, but the features and performance are pretty impressive! He is sending a factory sample and I'll post a review when it is ready for market.

What module did you order with the XR-3? The XR-S2ACM-01 module is the same price as the Turbo S2 module, $310. For FTA, I don't see a reason to buy the Turbo instead of the ACM module.

BTW... Dr. HD left a sample build of their new meter. Very impressive. They are working on a few functions for release firmware, but the features and performance are pretty impressive! He is sending a factory sample and I'll post a review when it is ready for market.

That's egg on my face. I just ordered a XR-S2ACM-01. Maybe I should've waited for Dr. HD to finish his project?

It's $303 at Amazon. Not that $7 makes a big difference.

Last edited:
For 50 dollars how about the V8 Finder?

I couldn't find reviews for the V8 Finder. So, have you considered writing a review or create a youtube video to demonstrate it? I've seen a youtube demonstration of the XR3 but they were just showing its use for picking up OTA/cable television. Anyway, the V8 Finder is much cheaper than the XR3 and plugins. The guy I talked to at Applied Instruments said that they designed the XR3 to be "future-proofed" by doing plugins. The V8 will probably have to be replaced at some point. But $800 will buy 16 V8's. The other issue is reliability. Which test equipment is best is always debatable. I wish I had the money to try all the meters - instead I have to go by recommendations and product reviews.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I'm seriously considering ordering a V8 Finder but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I haven't seen any reviews yet either which maybe related to it being recently released. While I have done it, I'm never thrilled about ordering directly from China so maybe they will show up on Ebay or Amazon.

I have played with meters like the V8 before, and they were junk basically because they were not made for the US market. And the programming for them to try making them work here was not worth the time. The old saying you get what you pay for goes here. And its too bad, would love to have a meter like that for $50 is it worked. (and there is a reason why its only $50)

You're probably correct and the v8 finder is likely another case of you get what you pay for but marketing sure makes it looks good ;)

Got my XR3 with XR-S2ACM-01 today and looked at SES1 with it. Picked up the sat OK. I need to play with it some more before I rate it. Kinda interesting that the service selections show Bell, Dish and DirecTV in addition to a bunch of other services. I'm not sure about the region setting - I selected the NW Continent US and it seems to work that way. A lot of bells and whistles and it's my understanding that there are some customizations that can be done.

Reactions: Titanium
johnnynobody I know people that use super buddy's for Dsh and Directv. Its nice for Dish because you can hit each lnbf to peak. For the money its a WAY WAY better meter then the Birdog.

johnnynobody I know people that use super buddy's for Dsh and Directv. Its nice for Dish because you can hit each lnbf to peak. For the money its a WAY WAY better meter then the Birdog.

It was my understanding that the module that I bought wasn't usable for Dish or Directv. That's why I mentioned it and why I was surprised that they showed up in the list of services. I haven't had the chance to play with it much since I got it. Maybe I'll play with it tomorrow since it'll be a much warmer day - the only problem is that when it gets warm at this time of year it gets windy also.

Reactions: hank123
If buying the AI XR-3 meter new, the XR-S2ACM-01 module provides ACM and 16/32APSK support! Thinking of selling my AI Turbo S2 and upgrading... :)

I have the XR-3 it's bad ass!!!! Use it mostly with offair module for install's at customers sites trying to get rid of cable bills.

I have the XR-3 it's bad ass!!!! Use it mostly with offair module for install's at customers sites trying to get rid of cable bills.

Well, it does have a lot of pretty lights. I haven't had a lot of use for it yet. If I was in business for myself then this is the type of test equipment I would get. I probably would've done fine with a much cheaper instrument. But I can afford it anyway. By the way, why can't your customers use the auto-channel-scan feature of their TV?

Well, it does have a lot of pretty lights. I haven't had a lot of use for it yet. If I was in business for myself then this is the type of test equipment I would get. I probably would've done fine with a much cheaper instrument. But I can afford it anyway. By the way, why can't your customers use the auto-channel-scan feature of their TV?

Line of site for the hard to get channels.
I know I had to peak my Ota antenna to get locals 50 miles away

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)