Satellite format question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
When adding a new satellite to my HTS System VIII plus, I can set the satellite format.

The options are as follows:

1 - C Standard 24 CH
2 - C Morelos 24 CH
3 - KU Anik 32 CH
4 - KU Gstar 32 CH
5 - KU Satcom -K 32 CH
6 - KU SBS 20 CH
7 - KU Spacenet 12 CH

I have done this for a few C-Band satellites without too much difficulty using the first option. Though the KU Satellite format is different.

Is there a chart somewhere that tells what format the KU side of these satellites are in?

Maybe I am working too hard trying to set up all these satellites on the Big Dish side of things, but I have seen some nice feeds on the NTSC KU side using the Drake, but on that receiver you just pushed a button and skipped through the TP's. With the HTS, you have to set up the KU side in the proper format before you can skip through the TP's.

Thanks again for all your help.

When I had my Ststem 70 it had the same deal. I guessed and made sure the analog channels jived with Lyngsat. If not, I tried another.

If someone has a cross-reference already done up, very cool. Fortunely there isn't much in the way of Ku analog so they shouldn't be much bother.

Like Shawn said, there really isn't much in the form of analog ku. But, assuming you intend to split the signals to use with a DVB receiver, the C-band locations in the HTS will suffice for the DVB ku. After all, the sats are in the same location. For ku DVB, you would only need to program "ku only" sats in the HTS. In other words, it's not necessary to program the C/ku sats twice, unless you're expecting to find some analog ku on them. The only 2 ku sats I have programmed on my 4dtv, are X4 (G16) and K3 (AMC3). I would probably have SBS6 if my dish would get to it. Hope you understand what I'm saying, cause I'm not sure I do.

Al

Last edited:
Thanks Shawn,

That is how I got the AMC Test card to show up. Trial and error, and finally one clicked.

You're right about not being much analog KU, but what there is, is good feeds. If someone does have a cross-reference that would be way cool.

Of course I understand you Al,

As I posted above, there is't much analog KU, but what there is, is quality feeds, and I just like to have to ability to tip-toe through the TP's and see what is there.

I hope to finish up programming the analog box today and set up the Vbox and Pansat starting tomorrow.

That will be another adventure. :)

One night here, I watched a Raven's football game, then switched to another Sat and watched a Blue Ray's game, and switched to another Sat and watched horse racing, and if I remember it correctly it was all on KU.

I have it written down somewhere if I can find it in this stack of research papers and recordings I have been doing since starting this hobby. :D

My wife says it is no longer a hobby. She says it is an obsession :)

On my receiver, I set all Ku band satellites to the Anik 32 channel format. It seems to have the maximum frequencies to find stations on the air. I rotate the dish to a Ku satellite and then scan all the channels. If there's something active, it will show it but slightly off-frequency. I then fine tune with polarity and frequency offset and the picture comes in perfectly. Have fun.

Thanks Hermitman,

On the two KU satellites I have programmed in, that is the way it has worked out for me too. I think I will proceed on that assumption until something doesn't work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts