Satellite Guys set me up with hopper - Dish says it was done wrong!!! I need help quickly.

MoHo

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Louisiana
A couple of months ago, I had SatelliteGuys set up an upgrade to Hopper/Joey in my motorhome. The technician came out , said he couldn't get to 129 because of trees. So he switched to a 2 head LNB and aimed at the eastern arc. Now I've moved the motorhome to Mississippi. I tried to get Dish to have someone come and point the dish. They told me a local retailer had to do it, but they tried and tried and couldn't find one. I told them that he used a two head and aimed at eastern arc. Dish tech said that he did what he needed to do to get me up and running, but that was not the right way to do for a motorhome that will be moving . I now have to aim at the (more distant) eastern arc, or get another LNB with 3 heads to hit the usual western arc. They suggested I get back in touch with SatelliteGuys and tell them I need to be re-set up with the proper LNB. Dish couldn't even give me coordinates for the eastern, saying that they are not set up for that. He said a "Dish" technician never would have done it that way. He would have extended the cable to get the dish in a place that he could have seen 129 and would have done the normal setup. I wasn't very good setting it up before, so now that I have the HD, I really don't think I can do it with a cheap signal meter.
One reason I'm here is because I am going to have a back operation done Thursday and I would really like to be able to watch TV while recovering. I'm doing what Dish told me to do. They told me to call them back if I can't get SatelliteGuys to make it right. Can someone help me on this quickly. I am located now in Brandon, Mississippi, zip 39047. There has to be some way I can get my satellite operating so I can have it for my recovery. PLEASE get back in touch with me. Email is steveheadley@ xxxxxxx. Phone is 318-xxx-xxxx. Please call with some good news for me.
Steve Headley

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of months ago, I had SatelliteGuys set up an upgrade to Hopper/Joey in my motorhome. The technician came out , said he couldn't get to 129 because of trees. So he switched to a 2 head LNB and aimed at the eastern arc. Now I've moved the motorhome to Mississippi. I tried to get Dish to have someone come and point the dish. They told me a local retailer had to do it, but they tried and tried and couldn't find one. I told them that he used a two head and aimed at eastern arc. Dish tech said that he did what he needed to do to get me up and running, but that was not the right way to do for a motorhome that will be moving . I now have to aim at the (more distant) eastern arc, or get another LNB with 3 heads to hit the usual western arc. They suggested I get back in touch with SatelliteGuys and tell them I need to be re-set up with the proper LNB. Dish couldn't even give me coordinates for the eastern, saying that they are not set up for that. He said a "Dish" technician never would have done it that way. He would have extended the cable to get the dish in a place that he could have seen 129 and would have done the normal setup. I wasn't very good setting it up before, so now that I have the HD, I really don't think I can do it with a cheap signal meter.
One reason I'm here is because I am going to have a back operation done Thursday and I would really like to be able to watch TV while recovering. I'm doing what Dish told me to do. They told me to call them back if I can't get SatelliteGuys to make it right. Can someone help me on this quickly. I am located now in Brandon, Mississippi, zip 39047. There has to be some way I can get my satellite operating so I can have it for my recovery. PLEASE get back in touch with me.
Steve Headley

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I would not be posting my email and especially my phone number if I were you.

I would strongly suggest contacting one of the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) members. Their names show up in red and you can tell who is online by scrolling down on the forum page. DIRT is responsive and should be able to help you out. Good luck!!

Thank you. I see you edited it out for me. I was a little angry and wasn't thinking. "Thanks again for protecting my privacy.
Steve

Hi Steve,

We do NOT sell or set anyone up with any satellte services, we are just an online forum the only thing we sell is advertising so we can pay our bills.

Is there a retailer in your area who may call themselves Satellite Guys that may have done your install?

What I would do is contact a DIRT member here on the SatelliteGuys website, DIRT members are a special team who work for DISH and take extra good care of our members. They should be able to help you out. :)

I am not sure who is working as there are curently no DIRT members online as I write this, however you can send a message to Reymond by CLICKING HERE or Matt by CLICKING HERE as one of them should be here later today and they can help you! Make sure when you write them to give them your DISH account number and phone number on your account so they can lookup your account, also give them as much detail as you can of what is wrong and they will help you. :)

I hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
Dish (DNS and RSP) techs aren't allowed to work on RV's. The OP should check the local phone book or Shopper type paper for a local Dish Network retailer.

Hi, OP here - like I said, there are no local retailers to set me up for 60 miles. I may just try to do it myself, but under the circumstances, it appears I'll have to try to hit the eastern arc, since I don't have a 3 head LNB. Dish Network said they couldn't even give me the setup info for eastern arc (with just 2 eyes). So maybe someone can help me. I need to know the elev, az, and skew to hit whichever 2 satellites I need to hit on the eastern arc. I'm still in hopes that someone can come make it right and switch this out for a 3 head LNB. But I need to get my TV working before my operation this week. So any help will be appreciated.
Steve

Dishpointer.com shows the following for a 1000.4/EA:

Address: 39047
Latitude: 32.4241°
Longitude: -89.9440°
Satellite: Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W)
Elevation: 47.9°
Azimuth (true): 149.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 150.5°

Thanks. Isn't there a skew involved in this?
And is this for the eastern arc? (I don't know much about all this, but I see several "W"s.
I'm sort of mentally handicapped when it comes to this. So,
can someone just tell me what to set for azmuth, elevation, and skew for a 2 headed LNB shooting at eastern arc?

Last edited:
Sorry about that! Skew is missing from the handy dandy popup, and I went blind to that missing critical number. But everything is printed again right below the map like so:

Dish Skew: 65.0°
arrow-l.png

And, "Yes, this is for Eastern Arc," in particular for the original 1000.4 w/3 LNBs. Both arcs are in the western hemisphere, so they will all show "W" longitude.

Probably a couple of degrees to the east from that azimuth and slightly lower because the OP said his dish has 2 'heads' (LNB's) so it's probably a 1000.2EA. The 1000.4EA points right at 72.7 and the 1000.2EA points about halfway between 61.5 and 72.7.

I received a PM from the OP. It was actually me that setup his upgrade for him.

Aha! So that's how he thought the installation came from Satelliteguys. ;) That's great. But how did you take care of him when there's nobody nearby to come and repoint that dish?

No, he "took care of him." We will never hear from him again.................lol lol

Satcalculator.net used to be great for determining non standard pointing coordinates (like 61.5 / 72.7) D500 combo. It appears to be broken now though. Always returns "Can't calculate for your location, this calculator is for the North Western hemisphere only!" no matter how you try to enter the location.

I apologize for my ignorance regarding setting the dish up. I'm an old man that tries to keep up with technology and I love having HD in my home and motorhome. But technology seems to be going faster than me now. So sometimes I have to depend on others. All I want to say to end this thread is that Speedy Gonzales (Matt) is quite an asset to this forum and to Dish Network.

As a fellow RV'er I know how frustrating it can be sometimes to point a dish. I've got just a single LNB crank-up roof mounted Winegard that I point at 72.7 - Gets me almost all the HD in my package except locals, which is only NBC and PBS in my area anyway. Can usually get the locals via off-air. If not, I get by. Might miss them a little more since I've got a couple of camping trips planned after the NFL starts.

Glad Matt could help you out. You better keep his number on speed dial. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts