Satellite hardware selection advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1990Z51

Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
chicago-ish
Hey everyone. Please help me out with installation hardware selection.:confused: I am very overwhelmed with all the options/combos.:confused: This is a long post so I have tried to simplify it....

I am coming back to DirecTv after a 6 month hiatus. I moved during that time and am pretty sure I am going to get DirecTV back (alternative is Comcast = $$$)

WANTS/NEEDS:

I would like HD. In the new house, I have up to 8 locations for wathcing TV. I would also like to pass through the TV antenna for local free HD broadcasting (UHF/VHF). I also have a HTPC (home theater Personal Computer) in the family room that I would like to do DVR with

CURRENT WIRING:

The house currently has an older dish on the roof that I do not think works for HD. There are four lines coming into the attic from the roof (2 are not attached to anything) The wires go through the attic vents so I can easily add or remove them.

There is a low voltage media center in the attic and basement (2 story house with basement) the second floor has five rooms and all coax goes up into the attic and to the attic media panel. The basement and first floor coax runs go into the basement media panel and then to the rooms.

EQUIPMENT:

I have 3 non HD recievers. May wnat to use 1 or 2 for old non HD TVs that I have. Have HDTV antenna to install. Would like to use a SWM dish so I can have only 2 wires going from roof to attic (one for dish and one for antenna)

QUESTIONS (I know I know, it took a little while to get here)

1. What satellite dish should I get? Perfer SWM I live in Aurora, IL (Chicago burbs)
1a. Is the SWM LNB the only dish I can use to get local HD channels?
1b. Can I run more than 8 receivers with one SWM LNB with multiswitches?
2. Then what splitter/multiswitch? I can see needing a possible of 9 outputs, but can live with 8. Also would like to combine the Antenna feed.
3. Are crimp coax connectors OK? (Someone suggested some weird expensive DirecTv special thingies.)

Thanks in advance.:)

Last edited:
1. What satellite dish should I get? Perfer SWM I live in Aurora, IL (Chicago burbs)
1a. Is the SWM LNB the only dish I can use to get local HD channels?
1b. Can I run more than 8 receivers with one SWM LNB with multiswitches?
2. Then what splitter/multiswitch? I can see needing a possible of 9 outputs, but can live with 8. Also would like to combine the Antenna feed.
3. Are crimp coax connectors OK? (Someone suggested some weird expensive DirecTv special thingies.)

Thanks in advance.:)

1. A 3 LNB Slimline should be fine unless you need international channels.
1a. No, but it is easier to diplex with SWM, since there are no BBCs to consider. Diplexing isn't officially supported.
1b. With a SWM LNB you are limited to 8 tuners (DVRs use two per, but only require a single cable). With a non-SWM multiswitch you will need two cables to any DVRs.
2. You can use a SWM8, feeding it with 4 cables from a non-SWM Slimline dish. In addition to 8 SWM tuners, it has 3 legacy outputs.
3. Compression connectors are highly recommended. I bought a compression tool for $15 at Home Depot and the connectors weren't much more expensive than crimp type.

Having done this much planning share all your expectations with the Call Center Representative CSR when you order. They will (or should) select equipment for the installer to bring. During the installation place the receivers where you want them and let the installer work.

You may end up paying for this so treat the installation as a proposal and get the amount up front. You may want to get the installation done by a home theater company rather than the DTV tech.

See what they offer.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)