Satellite Help Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pathfinder450

Apr 17, 2012
Lecanto
Greetingand Salutations to everyone here.
I’m new here and I thought that this sitewould give me some answers to direct me. I’m not sure to which thread to put this in as it concerns both the (BUD) big dish and the smaller dish size satellitedish.

Atthis present time I have Brighthouse cable in Tampa Florida. They are raisingtheir rates dramatically. A couple of years ago I was thinking of putting upsome big dishes and getting rid of cable back then. I found some big dishes forfree. Put in some heavy duty steel poles. Trouble was I didn’t know how to dothe wiring and where to get the receivers for them. Right now I have two polesfor the 10’ dishes and I also have a pole (Short, cut off from the ground) fora Birdview Satellite dish. No receiversfor any of the dishes. I looked for help from some satellite dealers who madeservice calls and came up with nothing. So I put it on the back burner in hopesthat one day I could find some help.

photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPGphoto 6.JPGphoto 7.JPGphoto 8.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 2.JPG

LastlyI made a purchase of a new truck and new truck camper. The camper is set upwith a satellite dome antenna on the roof, plus I also have a portable satellitedome antenna that I’m planning to use on a picnic table to watch TV. I believethey set it up for the Dish Network.

chaletkitchen.JPG Truck and camper.JPG

I had DirecTV years ago and was happy withit. So now I’m considering of setting up my home with DirecTV or Dish. I’m justnot sure which would be the best choice for me to put in my RV and Home. If thesatellite antennas are set up for the
Dish Network can they be modified to take DirecTV?Which service would be the best and why please?

Anybodyliving near Crystal River (34461) Florida that can help me with the big dishes would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Pathfinder450

Hello again,
I just got off the phone with a sales rep. from Direct TV and was told that I would need two separate accounts for the home and the RV. Because as he said the RV will be on the move all of the time. Is that true? Sounds to me like he was wanting to get me to pay more. Thanks again.

Hello again,
I just got off the phone with a sales rep. from Direct TV and was told that I would need two separate accounts for the home and the RV. Because as he said the RV will be on the move all of the time. Is that true? Sounds to me like he was wanting to get me to pay more. Thanks again.
RE the two accounts.........IF you will be away from home when using the RV (duh) and nobody else will be using the home equipment you can just rig a dish and take a receiver with you. Also, people often turn off one account and then move it to a new temporary address. Only start two accounts if you will be using two addresses at the same time.

RE the 10'dish........it was designed for an older system. The Directv & DISH systems have much higher power satellite signals (and many other different features) that allow the use of their smaller dish. The pole may or may not be of use...you need a Line of Sight (LOS) to the SW as listed in the DISH or Directv receiver according to your zip code. Either company will provide all equipment and an installation so you probably will not need any of the stuf you have yard sailed together.

Joe

Greetingand Salutations to everyone here.
I’m new here and I thought that this sitewould give me some answers to direct me. I’m not sure to which thread to put this in as it concerns both the (BUD) big dish and the smaller dish size satellitedish.

Atthis present time I have Brighthouse cable in Tampa Florida. They are raisingtheir rates dramatically. A couple of years ago I was thinking of putting upsome big dishes and getting rid of cable back then. I found some big dishes forfree. Put in some heavy duty steel poles. Trouble was I didn’t know how to dothe wiring and where to get the receivers for them. Right now I have two polesfor the 10’ dishes and I also have a pole (Short, cut off from the ground) fora Birdview Satellite dish. No receiversfor any of the dishes. I looked for help from some satellite dealers who madeservice calls and came up with nothing. So I put it on the back burner in hopesthat one day I could find some help.

View attachment 76315
View attachment 76319View attachment 76320View attachment 76321View attachment 76322View attachment 76318View attachment 76317View attachment 76316

LastlyI made a purchase of a new truck and new truck camper. The camper is set upwith a satellite dome antenna on the roof, plus I also have a portable satellitedome antenna that I’m planning to use on a picnic table to watch TV. I believethey set it up for the Dish Network.

View attachment 76323 View attachment 76324

I had DirecTV years ago and was happy with it. So now I’m considering of setting up my home with DirecTV or Dish. I’m justnot sure which would be the best choice for me to put in my RV and Home. If thesatellite antennas are set up for the
Dish Network can they be modified to take DirecTV?Which service would be the best and why please?

Anybodyliving near Crystal River (34461) Florida that can help me with the big dishes would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Pathfinder450

Thanks for asking. With Dish, the best way to do what you are asking is to get two accounts. Your RV account will be pay-as-you-go, and that solution will be a VIP 211 with the Tailgater. That will eliminate the need for a Tripod, or Winegard dome antenna. DVR receivers are not recommended for RV or other mobile applications due to the more constant vibrations which can damage hard drives in DVRs. This RV account doesn't require a commitment, and you can turn it off and on at will

For the home you would want one of our leased receiver promotional accounts, which provide for multiroom installations, including the new Hopper whole home DVR.

Check that out at DISH - Dish Deals. If you have further questions or need additional assistance, just send me a PM.

Pathfinder,
From what LouF states I would look at the DISH deal. HBO = HBO and the multiple contracts is a crock. Technically a Directv SD receiver with an 18' dish will be EZ for you to set up in your camper. To the extent you need HD, record capability, whole home viewing (in a camper?) you just gotta keep asking around.

The big dish can be made into a cool picnic table umbrella....add FG or plywood. They have limited use for sats these days.

Go fer it,

Joe

Joe Diamond said:
Pathfinder,
From what LouF states I would look at the DISH deal. HBO = HBO and the multiple contracts is a crock. Technically a Directv SD receiver with an 18' dish will be EZ for you to set up in your camper. To the extent you need HD, record capability, whole home viewing (in a camper?) you just gotta keep asking around.

The big dish can be made into a cool picnic table umbrella....add FG or plywood. They have limited use for sats these days.

Go fer it,

Joe

There is a much better use for that C-Band dish than wasting it and making a patio umbrella. There are still lots of interesting stuff in the clear on C and Ku band. Still lots of back hauls and wild feeds. If the O/P is interested in any of this he needs to check out the FTA forums here.

There is a much better use for that C-Band dish than wasting it and making a patio umbrella. There are still lots of interesting stuff in the clear on C and Ku band. Still lots of back hauls and wild feeds. If the O/P is interested in any of this he needs to check out the FTA forums here.

I haven't been able to find much stuff in the clear ....is there a place where it is listed or described? I would play around with it myself if I thought there was anything still out there. The last stuff I actually watched was unedited evening news and rehearsals from the mid west and it was years ago. Wouldn't know how to start with receivers.

Joe

I haven't been able to find much stuff in the clear ....is there a place where it is listed or described? I would play around with it myself if I thought there was anything still out there. The last stuff I actually watched was unedited evening news and rehearsals from the mid west and it was years ago. Wouldn't know how to start with receivers.

Joe

A good place to start is in the FTA forums here at this site. Now, there are not very many "cable" type channels in the clear, if that is what you are looking for, but there are lots of feeds, and some network channels from various parts of the USA and Canada, lots of PBS in HD. There are well over 100 international channels ITC on Galaxy 19 Ku at 97W. A good place to find a pretty comprehensive list is at Mike Kohl's website at GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS     ON click on the FTA section. If you enjoy DXing there is a lot to do. There are a lot of international channels that are HD and ITC over at 58W on one of the Intelsat birds. It is definitely NOT cable/DBS type programming, but it is more of a hobby.
You mentioned it had been years since you had fooled around with TVRO, now everything is digital either in MPEG2 DVB or MPEG4, so while there are a dozen or so analog channels left, there is not much need for an analog receiver anymore. You would need a new MPEG 2/4 DVB receiver such as the Manhattan RS-1933, the Pansat 9500, Openbox S9/S10 or the upcoming GeoSat Pro Mini HD receiver, all of these can be had for less than $200, most are in the $120-$150 price range. If you still have an old IRD, you can use it for a positioner, or get one of the stand alone positioner units like the GBox or the VBox, these are about $50-$70.

A good place to start is in the FTA forums here at this site. Now, there are not very many "cable" type channels in the clear, if that is what you are looking for, but there are lots of feeds, and some network channels from various parts of the USA and Canada, lots of PBS in HD. There are well over 100 international channels ITC on Galaxy 19 Ku at 97W. A good place to find a pretty comprehensive list is at Mike Kohl's website at GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS     ON click on the FTA section. If you enjoy DXing there is a lot to do. There are a lot of international channels that are HD and ITC over at 58W on one of the Intelsat birds. It is definitely NOT cable/DBS type programming, but it is more of a hobby.
You mentioned it had been years since you had fooled around with TVRO, now everything is digital either in MPEG2 DVB or MPEG4, so while there are a dozen or so analog channels left, there is not much need for an analog receiver anymore. You would need a new MPEG 2/4 DVB receiver such as the Manhattan RS-1933, the Pansat 9500, Openbox S9/S10 or the upcoming GeoSat Pro Mini HD receiver, all of these can be had for less than $200, most are in the $120-$150 price range. If you still have an old IRD, you can use it for a positioner, or get one of the stand alone positioner units like the GBox or the VBox, these are about $50-$70.

Thanks Bob,

I'll dig in.

Joe

Hello,
I went to my local RV dealer and asked them if my Winegard RoadTrip Mission Automatic Satellite TV Antenna Model RTS-40W and my Carryout Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna Model GM-1518 would be able to get DirecTV. I was told that the Satellite TV Antenna's could get DirecTV, Dish and Bell. But that I should call Winegard just to be sure. I was told by Winegard that I could get DirecTV and Dish Network. Only thing that was in conflick was that with DirecTV that it would not be HD quality, just digital. I could get Dish in HD though. Also that I would need a bigger antenna for DTV. So everything is at a stand still now. I want to call Winegard again to double check.
Not sure about Dish Network as I never had their service or getting DirecTV without having HD quality in the RV
Anybody ut there that does have DTV with my type of dome antenna? How is Dish Network?
Thanks.

Trying to get to a "best" answer takes some basic understanding of what kind of programming you like since D* and Dish are not the same. Only you can answer that question.

Then you need to know that all D* HD programming is done on sats 99 and 103 which takes the slimline dish to receive. None of the domes (other than a very expensive nautical version) support something like the slimline size. So, if you want HD in a dome you are limited to Dish now.

I am not sure I understand all the photos of the back yard, but what I did see were a lot of trees. Do you have access to the southern sky where the satellites are located?

Hello,
I went to my local RV dealer and asked them if my Winegard RoadTrip Mission Automatic Satellite TV Antenna Model RTS-40W and my Carryout Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna Model GM-1518 would be able to get DirecTV. I was told that the Satellite TV Antenna's could get DirecTV, Dish and Bell. But that I should call Winegard just to be sure. I was told by Winegard that I could get DirecTV and Dish Network. Only thing that was in conflick was that with DirecTV that it would not be HD quality, just digital. I could get Dish in HD though. Also that I would need a bigger antenna for DTV. So everything is at a stand still now. I want to call Winegard again to double check.
Not sure about Dish Network as I never had their service or getting DirecTV without having HD quality in the RV
Anybody ut there that does have DTV with my type of dome antenna? How is Dish Network?
Thanks.
The Dome set up you have will get DISH and D*, however, in SD for D* only as D* uses the Ka and KU bands and the set up you have does one or the other, I don't remember which.

D* has a unit that does HD, we were just discussing it in another thread earlier in the week.
However, it cost alot more, but it too is automatic set up.

DISH network only uses one of the bands, thats why they can get the HD when D* can't.

Well from the looks of things after talking to Winegard about doing an upgrade on my Winegard RoadTrip Mission Automatic Satellite TV Antenna Model RTS-40W and my Carryout Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna Model GM-1518 for a larger and more expensive Satellite TV Antenna was a no go. Even though they both have not been in use ever. So what I could do in get Dish Network for me to be able to watch HD Quality in the house and RV. Or get Direct TV for the House and RV and not be able to get HD Quality in my Truck Camper. I would just get Digital quality only. Save my money then change antenna's and get me a Winegard TRAV'LER SK-3005 DIRECTV Slimline is the only satellite antenna to offer full DIRECTV HD programming for my RV. This will happen when I scrape together the price of near $1,186.00 to get one. Not sure about getting a portable antenna too? Would like to find out my cost options first. Maybe I can see what I have now for antenna's now but I'm not sure where to go to sell them. I hate Craig's List.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Or you could get a slimline dish, tripod and drag along one of your home receivers like I do. I cannot justify the expense of a dome for the few minutes it takes to setup the dish at a new location. Moreover, the domes don't work when you park among trees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts