Satellite Installation in a Townhome?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftajjyohn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hello,
Heres the problem. My aunt wants me to install a dish for my grandmother BUT her townhome doesn't allow installation of satellite dishes (but I think my family jumbled the words and its actually you can't install satellite dishes on the fence? I'm not quite sure). I was wondering if there were any Canadian Laws (Ontario, Etobicoke/Toronto) that would keep my grandmother safe. Her neighbour has a satellite installation on their fence. And as I was walking around the townhomes I saw a couple of other installations too (although they had it on a pole.. not the fence?) I would ask them but Etobicoke.. it's not exactly the safest place ever.

So.. any laws that would loop-hole the "no satellite installation" rule? (My aunt hopes so because we want her to receive galaxy 25 for the Thai and Lao programming)

i hope i was clear on whats the problem =S

you had a case until that magical word came in

Canada

Here in the states we have a rule that as long as its a exclusive area and the dish is under a meter you can put it up. But the FCC rules don't work in Canada....and I dont think the CRTC has something like that..

Hopefully someone from Canada can chime in :)

haha yeah. i've read on EVERYTHING about the states. isn't canada oh so wonderful? i guess our free healthcare makes up for the no law on satellite installation =P haha im just teasing.

Does she have a balcony or an area where you could put up a tripod and dish?
It wouldn't technically be "installed"

I just searched the crtc website (crtc.ca) and didnt see anything :(

It seems weird that they say no dishes yet people have them?

theres a little front yard. thats where ive seen other people mount their dishes. front yard on a pole. i guess we could put up a tripod! good idea! at first we were considering what my grandpa has which is the dish behind a window but he can only get that because he has a southern facing window whereas my grandmother doesnt.

oh about the "front yard" i think that area is considered hers because its fenced..

hm. how satellite LAWS are ...not there.. in canada.. kinda bugs me

A fence is the wrong place to put a satellite dish, for so many reasons.
Not the least of which, it might wiggle or move.
If her neighbors living in the same town homes, have dishes mounted on poles in the yard, I'm sure she can, too.

- ask the neighbors
- note what satellite service is mounted on these poles
- if it's BEV or StarChoice, the dishes might be smaller and under some size constraint.
- if you are going to do the install, read up about it here, and go have a good time. :cool:

thanks for all the help! im going to visit her tomorrow i think so i'll ask her about the rules and stuff.. and obtain the owner's phone so then I can ask the question myself instead of her asking and jumbling the words.

I thought they used the 60 cm up there, but I didn't know exactly how big it was.
Well, paint a BEV logo on your Fortec and be done with it! - :up
Just don't have an American satellite name on it - that wouldn't go over so well!

Actually, I think that 3ABN logo might make for a good cover.
At least down here, nobody messes with the Christians! :)

If it doesn't stand out from the other dishes and doesn't present an eyesore by looking out of place, too big, too bright, etc, I doubt anyone would care.

Anole
The 2 dishes SC uses are the 60e & 75e
60e is 32x20
75e is 37x27

so the 60e is the equivalent of a 24" dish

Thanks for the info.

So, as long as we're talking about it, would a 30" be good enough for that satellite in Canada, or should he worry how to hide a 36" ?

Most of the Thai channels are on strong enought transponders that a 30" should work fine

I'm no genius but if you check Lyngsat
Galaxy 25 at 97.0°W - LyngSat
in the column where the language is, TH is Thai

The TP that worries me is 11966 which has
Thai TV, Thai Overseas TV, and Bangkok radio
is weaker here in MN than the others.

12090 & 12152 are stronger

most of the thai and lao channels are strong because IPTV (thai satellite provider in north america) is like BEV. they've got 5 channels but two of them are FTA (LaoTV5 and IPTV SHOPPING) i believe they send out 76cm dishes to whoever orders service from them. there are some others like "TGN" or "TOTV" which I believe aren't as strong as IPTV (and "NAT TV") although I'll have to check my receiver. I'm hoping hiding the dish wont be a problem. the front yard faces towards the north and then there are really tall trees in front of the front yard so the dish would face towards the house. maybe i could camoflauge it by spraypainting it green to go with the trees haha.

thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it.

oh i also wanted to add. i noticed that her neighbour has a BEV dish but most of the people (that have a dish) have 1m size dishes.. really high up too and they dont have anything to 'hide' it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)