Satellite newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SBells

Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Central IL
Hey everyone!

We moved to Illinois a while back and have been using Comcast (which I actually like more than Time Warner). Now that we've sold our house, we've purchased a new home that is only serviced by Mediacom (YUCK).

Because I absolutely cannot stand Mediacom, I've decided it's time to go with a dish (DirecTV, Dish Network, and Mediacom are my only 3 choices). I'm leaning towards DirecTV, but I'm not completely sold on it yet - however that's not why I'm here.

I'm trying to determine the most cost-effective way to get started. We will have 4 TV's that definitely need service - two with an HD DVR and the other two with any box (though I'd prefer at least an HD box).

What options do I have? If I choose DirecTV do I have any option other than to pay the $300-$400 in startup fee's? Dish Network is a bit cheaper because of the multi room viewing.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks!
Scott

With Dish you can share a box. So you could do with one or two less. You will get MRV eventually with DirecTV(it's in CE testing as we speak, which you can participate in if you go with DirecTV), but you will need a box with each TV. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I would call them both, find out who can give you the best deal and go for it!

Just make sure you get the programming that you want to watch and go with what suits your needs. In spite of all the bickering that goes on, they are both good providers.

As joed32 said both are good providers, both have bugs in their equipment so everything isn't perfect. DISH looks cheaper but realize if you go with a 722 it is HD only on TV1 and SD on TV2, and split for 2 TVs you lose dual tuner functionality unless TV2 isn't being watched, then you can steal it's tuner for recording.

I would call them both, find out who can give you the best deal and go for it!

This is the key.... and make sure they both know that you're talking to the other one. If you're willing to go back and forth a few times and be patient, you can probably get a pretty good deal from either.

Newbie - a secret advantage to going with DirecTV in our market, is that no matter whether you want HD or SD, they will ALWAYS give you HD capable boxes (either non-DVR or DVR) since our market now requires them for our locals.

So, the best way to order, is to ask for the current special, which is 4 receivers FREE, with one of them upgraded to an HD DVR for FREE. Then ask them to make on of the others an SD DVR, which they should ONLY charge you $99 for. They WILL end up bringing you TWO HD DVR's (& 2 plain HD boxes) & you WILL get HD out of ALL 4 boxes at NO extra charge. (not sure where you're coming up with the upfront fees you mentioned... :confused: )

Unlike DISH, DirecTV ONLY charges one DVR fee ($6) per account, regardless of how many DVR's you have. And of course, only 1 HD access fee as well. Also, you ARE aware that those dual room DVR's of DISH's ONLY give you 1 tuner per room - so if one room wants to watch AND record 2 different things at once, the other room is SOL if they want to do the same on something different. By getting 2 separate DVR's on DirecTV, EACH room can do 2 different things at once - while the 2 rooms with plain receivers can still do their own thing as well.

Another thing - if you do NOT have a phone line or internet connection on those DISH DVR's, they WILL ding you an extra $5/month for the 2nd room connection; DirecTV doesn't care either way if you have phone or internet connection. Also, since you will have more than 4 tuners, D* will give you a SWiM LNB, so that you only need 1 coax to each room, including the DVR boxes.

Last edited:
Newbie - a secret advantage to going with DirecTV in our market, is that no matter whether you want HD or SD, they will ALWAYS give you HD capable boxes (either non-DVR or DVR) since our market now requires them for our locals.

So, the best way to order, is to ask for the current special, which is 4 receivers FREE, with one of them upgraded to an HD DVR for FREE. Then ask them to make on of the others an SD DVR, which they should ONLY charge you $99 for. They WILL end up bringing you TWO HD DVR's (& 2 plain HD boxes) & you WILL get HD out of ALL 4 boxes at NO extra charge. (not sure where you're coming up with the upfront fees you mentioned... :confused: )

Unlike DISH, DirecTV ONLY charges one DVR fee ($6) per account, regardless of how many DVR's you have. And of course, only 1 HD access fee as well. Also, you ARE aware that those dual room DVR's of DISH's ONLY give you 1 tuner per room - so if one room wants to watch AND record 2 different things at once, the other room is SOL if they want to do the same on something different. By getting 2 separate DVR's on DirecTV, EACH room can do 2 different things at once - while the 2 rooms with plain receivers can still do their own thing as well.

Another thing - if you do NOT have a phone line or internet connection on those DISH DVR's, they WILL ding you an extra $5/month for the 2nd room connection; DirecTV doesn't care either way if you have phone or internet connection. Also, since you will have more than 4 tuners, D* will give you a SWiM LNB, so that you only need 1 coax to each room, including the DVR boxes.

How do you get hd if you don't pay the $10/month hd charge? I know you don't have to pay for it in your market even with hd boxes, but I didn't think you would get hd for free without paying for it.

How do you get hd if you don't pay the $10/month hd charge? I know you don't have to pay for it in your market even with hd boxes, but I didn't think you would get hd for free without paying for it.

Reread my post... ;) ;)

So, the best way to order, is to ask for the current special, which is 4 receivers FREE, with one of them upgraded to an HD DVR for FREE.

So where DID I say you would get the HD service for free??? :confused: :confused:
I was ONLY talking about getting the actual HD receivers for FREE - you STILL have to pay the $10 HD fee if you actually want HD service turned on.
Which the OP IS going to do anyway, so this is all a moot point...

"Another thing - if you do NOT have a phone line or internet connection on those DISH DVR's, they WILL ding you an extra $5/month for the 2nd room connection; DirecTV doesn't care either way if you have phone or internet connection. Also, since you will have more than 4 tuners, D* will give you a SWiM LNB, so that you only need 1 coax to each room, including the DVR boxes. "

1. There is no "ding" for $5 for not putting a telephone line into the rcvr. Instead, just like D* charges $5 for each rcvr after the first, E* charges for the extra TVs on the Dual rcvrs. Now they will waive those charges for the second TV if you plug in a phone line or set up internet
2. New E* rcvrs also only need one cable to come into the rcvr and that same cable can be used to send the signal over to the other TV.

Again, both have their advantages and limitations. With your set up you can easily get a HD Dual DVR for the main TV and one SD TV in the house and another HD Dual non-DVR for the second HD TV and the second SD TV. Currently, they are using 722ks and 222ks on those types of installs. They are nice rcvrs because you can buy an OTA module for them that allows you to pick up 2 more OTA signals for those rcvrs. Now they do cost $39 for the OTA, but you can then either keep the Local channels supplied from E* or save $5 a month to use the OTA.

If you keep the OTA, then it gives you 4 total feeds on each rcvrs, so very very rarely do you have a problem w/ recordings.

1. There is no "ding" for $5 for not putting a telephone line into the rcvr. Instead, just like D* charges $5 for each rcvr after the first, E* charges for the extra TVs on the Dual rcvrs. Now they will waive those charges for the second TV if you plug in a phone line or set up internet

OK, you say it's NOT - I (& many others) say it IS...actually, I call it a penalty myself, 'cause that's what it is!
(It's amazing the E* "salespeople" ALWAYS say it isn't... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )
Bottom line - if you do NOT have a phone or internet connection, you may as well get the 2 extra receivers from D* - because you are now PAYING THE SAME FRICKEN AMOUNT! Sorry to burst your bubble, but DISH is NOT always cheaper, as boba already pointed out.

2. New E* rcvrs also only need one cable to come into the rcvr and that same cable can be used to send the signal over to the other TV.

And if you simply get the other 2 boxes from D*, you don't have to dick around with the "backfeeding" deal & NOT getting the best picture/sound quality on the other 2 sets with having a direct A/V connection. But if your NOT picky on that, guess that's up to you.
Also, since D* supplies ALL HD boxes in our area, if the OP ever gets more HD sets, he will get HD channels on those as well - you AIN'T going to get that on that "2nd TV output" on those dual receivers.

Now they do cost $39 for the OTA, but you can then either keep the Local channels supplied from E* or save $5 a month to use the OTA.

Yea, & when you do that, you CAN'T record simply from the EPG like the sat channels, since ALL your local guide data goes away when you do this. :rolleyes:

If you keep the OTA, then it gives you 4 total feeds on each rcvrs, so very very rarely do you have a problem w/ recordings.

And you keep assuming the OP HAS an OTA antenna - he probably doesn't, so again, it's all a moot point. ;)

Last edited:
Look, no reason to get all defensive. I was just giving the guy options. Yea it is nice to have two separate rcvrs, I'll admit it. I was just pointing out a couple of false statements made by you.

And yes, there is a difference between 'waiving the tv2 fee' and just charging you the rcvr fee like D* does. There is no option to save $5 with D*, but there is with E*. True without a phone line or a internet connection you will get charge that $5 by E*.....but can you say that D* will waive it if you do have those options? No.

If you really want to get all up in arms about this....why don't we talk about what happens if they have to get a new rcvr through D* and what happens to their commitment behind their backs.

Or lets talk about the cancelation fees if they are not happy with D*....

Or let's just talk about their over all price compared to E*...

I wasn't trying to get into a E* > D* discussion, but that is your choice.

Oh and finally....if you want a rcvr for each TV....great. I assure you that E* will set that up for you also.

Look, no reason to get all defensive... I was just pointing out a couple of false statements made by you.

There IS, when what I said was NOT false - & all I did was point out your false statements as well, so I guess we're even.

And yes, there is a difference between 'waiving the tv2 fee' and just charging you the rcvr fee like D* does.

Right out of the E* new salesperson's guide verbatim... :rolleyes:

If you really want to get all up in arms about this....why don't we talk about what happens if they have to get a new rcvr through D* and what happens to their commitment behind their backs.

Or lets talk about the cancelation fees if they are not happy with D*....

Or lets just talk about how the BOTH of them do these kind of things - NEITHER one are angels & I'll be the first to admit THAT!

Or let's just talk about their over all price compared to E*...

Or let's not, since (again) E* is NOT always cheaper - depends on each situation.
I assure you that with my 5 DVR's, E* would cost a LOT more monthly than my D* EVER would!
One of the very reason why I stay on D*

I wasn't trying to get into a E* > D* discussion, but that is your choice.

No, it was yours, too...
And for the record, I DO agree as boba said, they BOTH have their strengths & weaknesses. Frankly right now, E* does have a better national HD lineup, while D* has a better local HD & (full time) RSN lineup for our area. (D* carries ALL our HD locals, CW & 2 PBS's vs just the big 4 on E*) Again, depends on each subs needs.
But you guys that constantly push those "duo receivers" as being the panacea for everyone, without telling them the disadvantages (like only 1 tuner for each room on the DVR boxes; no HD output for a 2nd HD set, etc) really does NOT allow the customer to make an informed choice.
But hey man - main thing IS signing up those new subs, right. :p

Oh and finally....if you want a rcvr for each TV....great. I assure you that E* will set that up for you also.

Well uh, yea - & will charge you appropriately. Again, NOT having a receiver on each TV is NOT necessarily cheaper or better, which you seem to be harping on. And as I correctly pointed out, D* installs ALL HD boxes here standard, so you don't have to pay extra to get HD equipment on ALL boxes.

Last edited:
"I assure you that with my 5 DVR's, E* would cost a LOT more monthly than my D* EVER would!"

How? The cheapest you can get w/ E* with a 5DVR set up would be 2 dual DVRs and 1 solo. Your DVR fees would only be 5.98 on 3 rcvrs vs 5 rcvrs on D* [mind you D* charges you 5.99] and with a phone line connected on as little as 1 rcvr [depending on the types], then the total charges for 5 tvs hooked up with E* rcvr would be [5.98x3, + 5x2] 27.94 vs [5.99x5 + 5x4] 49.95. Mind you E* will waive the first DVR fee with the 24 mth initial installation and if you get their max package, then they will waive all DVR fee.

So unless D* only charges for 1 DVR for the entire acct....how can it be cheaper?

Directv, charges 1 dvr fee, no matter how many dvrs you have. So, 5 dvrs, which record 2 shows each on each tv ;), would be $5x4(lease box fee after 1st one free)+5.99(dvr fee)=$25.99 for all tvs having dual tuners dvrs.

Directv, charges 1 dvr fee, no matter how many dvrs you have. So, 5 dvrs, which record 2 shows each on each tv ;), would be $5x4(lease box fee after 1st one free)+5.99(dvr fee)=$25.99 for all tvs having dual tuners dvrs.

Thank you for the heads up.

And while Dave is correct, I actually don't pay ANY DVR fees, since I'm a grandfathered lifetimer. :D ;)
But still doesn't matter - if I lost it tomorrow, I would still be saving WAY more on D*.

I remember when the Tivos first came out thinking of myself that I should take advantage of that, but not having the money at the time, let it go.

Good deal for you!

Unlike DISH, DirecTV ONLY charges one DVR fee ($6) per account, regardless of how many DVR's you have. And of course, only 1 HD access fee as well. Also, you ARE aware that those dual room DVR's of DISH's ONLY give you 1 tuner per room - so if one room wants to watch AND record 2 different things at once, the other room is SOL if they want to do the same on something different. By getting 2 separate DVR's on DirecTV, EACH room can do 2 different things at once - while the 2 rooms with plain receivers can still do their own thing as well..

Ok a few things that the Dish DVR can do that the Direct can't.
1. You can do Picture in Picture with the Dish DVR.
2. You can feed 2 tv's each there own programing, or you can send each tv the same programing, or you can use it on just one tv only.
3. You can feed multiple locations the signal from the DVR and do it with one cable and you don't need to use an FM mod to do it.
4. You can watch your recordings on any TV connected to the receiver (I know Direct is working on this but it's not main stream yet).

The biggest thing is Dishes dual tuner dual tv DVR's gives you choices. With Direct's you do get the automatic ability to watch and record, but thats all. You have more flexability with Dish. By the way Don't forget that Dish has the 612 that is exactly the same setup as Direct's DVR's, a dual tuner DVR for one TV.

Dish stopped charging the phone line access fee on the first DVR. They also only charge one HD fee just like Direct. SO if you order a 2 tv install you only have the one box if you want. With Direct it is automatic you will have 2 boxes with the extra $5.00 a month. Plus if you want DVR on both those tv's you have to spend an extra $100 or $200 to get the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)