Satellite Noob

Airwolf42

Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Kentucky
I have never had Satellite before and know absolutely nothing about it. I recently moved into an apartment that offers Dish Network service with 3 movie channels at a cheap rate. I plugged my TV into the wall, and viola... I had TV! The only bad thing is, I don’t have any receiver or anything. I don’t have a guide, I'm limited to channels 1-125 (TV's limitation), and I have no DVR capabilities. My question is, if I just buy a Dish Network receiver box on eBay or Craigslist and plug it in, will I be able to use all of the features that the box is designed for (i.e. guide, DVR, on-demand)?

Thanks for helping the new guy out!

Well... They dont seem to know a whole lot about it. Apparently a residient does the maintenance and installs the equipment. He will give me a DVR box they said, but it will cost me an additional $10 - $15 a month. I was just wondering if I could buy a box and plug it in. I really dont care about the DVR and everything else... I just want the guide. Thanks again.

Chances are there is something specific to your setup, without knowing exactly what that is, there is not way to know for sure. If your complex is charging you for Dish, you would presumably wind up paying a lot more than you are now.

You will also have to pay a DVR fee anyways with Dish Network so $10-$15 sounds about right. How are you connecting the TV to Dish Network? RG6 cable? If so, placing a receiver on your own will not work. Most likely this is an MDU installation.

Yes. RG6 just plugs straight into the wall from the TV. Is there such a thing as a box that will allow me to use the on screen guide, but without DVR? (To try and avoid additional fees)

I don't know much about MDU installations but hopefully one of the installers or retailers will chime in. I doubt that you can get the guide in an MDU installation.

Won't work

What they have set up in your complex is a modulated system. All the channels come from different E* boxes that have a modulator hooked up to them. this way when you tune to say ch 12 you will get say USA 13 will be another channel 14 will be most likely a CATV (E*) modulated TV channel. Hooking up a E* sat receiver will not receive a sat signal but an RF set of "cable" channels. Does that answer your question?

I guess I'm still a little confused... (Noob)! Are you saying I can't do anything to get an on screen guide that wont cost me an additional monthly fee? What about boba's recomendation for Tivo... Whould Tivo work? Thanks again!

NO

I guess I'm still a little confused... (Noob)! Are you saying I can't do anything to get an on screen guide that wont cost me an additional monthly fee? What about boba's recomendation for Tivo... Whould Tivo work? Thanks again!

What I said was that you won't be able to hook up a receiver to the line coming since that line is nothing but TV channels coming in. No you won't get a guide that way. As far as the tivo that will work in someways. You can set it up with the channels you receive and use ti to record shows as well. But as he said you will have to pay for it. It would also be possible to hook up a TV card in a pc and use it as a DVR & get guide from Titan TV. But that gets into a complete different subject.

tvguide.com - it's free and you already have a computer

Other than that - you are probably going to have to pay to get the guide info. The guy who will get you the DVR, does it come with guide info? If so, do it, even for $10/month. The DVR is awesome and you'll love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)