Satellite on Electric Utility Pole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Leon

Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Recently, at my cabin, a lineman for the utility company saw that my Dish Network satellite dish was on their utility pole. The pole is on our property. He told the folks using my cabin that the dish would have to be removed or they would remove it and not too carefully. I called and talked to a supervisor over the linemen and he said that it was against their policy and also against the National Electric Code to install a dish on a utility pole. Since their pole is on my property, I do not really care about their policy but I am concerned about violating a NEC. Does anyone know if the NEC's actually have restrictions on putting a dish on a pole? If you know, please give me the number of the code. I am sure that many others would likewise be interested in the legal aspects of such a code. By the way, our cabin is located in Island Park, Idaho and the utility is Fall River Electric.

It depends. Is the power company an independent or a co-op? If it's a co-op, chances are you own the pole that is on your property. If it's an independent, the power company owns the pole and easement rights to get to and from it. Even though it's on your property. The important thing to remember is that an electrical worker that has to climb that pole in the dark of night during a thundersorm can be injured by that dish, and then guess who would get sued?

Yes, I used to climb poles for a living, and when your pole gaff hits a steel nail that somebody left in the pole when their Garage Sale sign blew down, and you slide down the pole hugging all of the other nails that were left in it, it can ruin your whole day.

Last edited:
It is illegal to mount a dish on a electric/telephone pole. It is also illegal to put your garage sale or missing cat sign on the pole. Best thing to do is move your dish. The electric company has more money for lawyers than you.

rowemance said:
It is illegal to mount a dish on a electric/telephone pole. It is also illegal to put your garage sale or missing cat sign on the pole. Best thing to do is move your dish. The electric company has more money for lawyers than you.

Plus they have their hand on the switch. :D

the company i worked for went and reinstalled a dish for our local co-op, because one of their guys went out and kicked a dish off of a pole that was the customers pole, and it was just a light pole at the end of his driveway. Well he went crazy and demanded they fix it... so they called us

Leon said:
Recently, at my cabin, a lineman for the utility company saw that my Dish Network satellite dish was on their utility pole. The pole is on our property. He told the folks using my cabin that the dish would have to be removed or they would remove it and not too carefully. I called and talked to a supervisor over the linemen and he said that it was against their policy and also against the National Electric Code to install a dish on a utility pole. Since their pole is on my property, I do not really care about their policy but I am concerned about violating a NEC. Does anyone know if the NEC's actually have restrictions on putting a dish on a pole? If you know, please give me the number of the code. I am sure that many others would likewise be interested in the legal aspects of such a code. By the way, our cabin is located in Island Park, Idaho and the utility is Fall River Electric.
As an insataller bound by DNSC rules I cannot install a dish on a utility pole....
...in my locale, the pole and light belong oto the power compnay even if it is a security light in your back yard....The power company considers the area beneath the wire and sky above to be a utility easement. As such, no private structure may be erected on or near a utility easement.
this is to insure full access by utility company personnel....
don't be concerned with NEC....If the system is grounded to the electric meter ground wire or other acceptable NEC ground, you're in the clear...

Just off the top of my head, I can think of ten simple quick ways to put up a dish that don't involve a utility pole.
Today's dishes are so small and lightweight, why take a chance mounting it to your utility pole?
A quick way is to drive in a metal fence post($4), if you don't want to invest in standard install.

I know that Dish Network not allow to mount dishes on the electric poles because I do installations for them. So buy a fence pole, concrete bag and relocate the dish.:cool:

It depends on what is on the pole. If it is a pole with only your meter and circuit breaker box on it, then the pole is yours. You paid for it for service to your house and as long as there is not any high voltage lines and transformers on it, it's yours. I have gotten in this argument before, and have won. I did this for a customer because they did not want to have their did were it could be seen from the house.

Texanmutt said:
It depends on what is on the pole. If it is a pole with only your meter and circuit breaker box on it, then the pole is yours. You paid for it for service to your house and as long as there is not any high voltage lines and transformers on it, it's yours. I have gotten in this argument before, and have won. I did this for a customer because they did not want to have their did were it could be seen from the house.

Oh boo hoo they didn't want to see the dish from their house. Don't make me puke. :rolleyes:

FantasyChannel said:
Oh boo hoo they didn't want to see the dish from their house. Don't make me puke. :rolleyes:

Hey as a dealer and installer you wouldn't believe the amount of crap we put up with customers just to complete an install and get paid!

But other than that, if its your pole then I wouldn't bother moving it. If its owned by the utility company than comply and move it!

Claude Greiner said:
Hey as a dealer and installer you wouldn't believe the amount of crap we put up with customers just to complete an install and get paid!

But other than that, if its your pole then I wouldn't bother moving it. If its owned by the utility company than comply and move it!

Oh yea. in this case the pole was 130 feet from the house hidden behind trees. Luckily they had a conduit for cable and telephone wire running to the pole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts