Satellite pointing settings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

monsterman

Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
NY
Long time reader, this site comes up on all of my searches but first-time poster.

I've seen this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. My subscriber address is western Connecticut, but I am temporarily in Buffalo. Where do I point the dish and what signal strengths should I be looking at as I fine tune it? I have a decent signal now but no locals. When I initially set it up I had great signals across the board. Now I'm seeing 70s and several zeros.

Thanks in advance. I can't live without baseball.

you cand find the settings on your reciever. On your remote...menu>setup>system setup>satellite>repeat satellite setup>dash button(under the 7) select the correct dish,put in your zip code and it will give you azimuith, elevation,ect. then follow the rest of the setup. this setup is assuming you have a newer post 2005 reciever. hope this helps

you cand find the settings on your reciever. On your remote...menu>setup>system setup>satellite>repeat satellite setup>dash button(under the 7) select the correct dish,put in your zip code and it will give you azimuith, elevation,ect. then follow the rest of the setup. this setup is assuming you have a newer post 2005 reciever. hope this helps

Thanks, I'll try this but I think I'll still have a problem. Will it give me the right settings to get the local New York City stations or the local Buffalo stations with the current zipcode?

you will recieve locals from where ever your account address is, in some cases. it depends on spot beams and other technical things. you can always call D* and do a movers connection and have a tech to come out to ensure everything is correct as far as having the correct dish for local. which dish do you have? or just change your address with D* so you get the correct locals for your area that you are in now and then change it back when you return home. hope that helps

Thanks, I'll try this but I think I'll still have a problem. Will it give me the right settings to get the local New York City stations or the local Buffalo stations with the current zipcode?

You cannot change your city by changing the zip code, whatever your set up for in your main location is what it will try to pick up, if your outside of the spotbeam you won't get them.

If your staying there for a period of time, you might be able to call D* and explain that you have been relocated and see if they will turn on the locals from where your at.

you will recieve locals from where ever your account address is, in some cases. it depends on spot beams and other technical things. you can always call D* and do a movers connection and have a tech to come out to ensure everything is correct as far as having the correct dish for local. which dish do you have? or just change your address with D* so you get the correct locals for your area that you are in now and then change it back when you return home. hope that helps

The reason I'm doing my own install is to keep me from having to commit to another two years. Once my time is up I'm switching to FIOS. I'm hoping to avoid signal searching!

You cannot change your city by changing the zip code, whatever your set up for in your main location is what it will try to pick up, if your outside of the spotbeam you won't get them.

If your staying there for a period of time, you might be able to call D* and explain that you have been relocated and see if they will turn on the locals from where your at.

Jimbo, I still get all of my local channels in listed in the guide, ok I realize that means little. Click on one and the system searches, forever. All other channels work. Still, I get it means nothing, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

The issue is if I have DTV change my physical location I will not be able to watch all of the games. The Yankees broadcast certain games on MY9. The local Buffalo equivalent does not. Even with the Extra Innings package I don't get the game, nor does the guy across the street. He can watch the game on the mix channel in the little box, but click on it and no game. Watching baseball is important to me, it keeps me out of trouble!:)

The reason I'm doing my own install is to keep me from having to commit to another two years. Once my time is up I'm switching to FIOS. I'm hoping to avoid signal searching!

This is fine, provided you already have an account, if not, you will have a commitment as soon as you activate the rec'r, regardless of who sets it up.

Jimbo, I still get all of my local channels in listed in the guide, ok I realize that means little. Click on one and the system searches, forever. All other channels work. Still, I get it means nothing, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

The issue is if I have DTV change my physical location I will not be able to watch all of the games. The Yankees broadcast certain games on MY9. The local Buffalo equivalent does not. Even with the Extra Innings package I don't get the game, nor does the guy across the street. He can watch the game on the mix channel in the little box, but click on it and no game. Watching baseball is important to me, it keeps me out of trouble!:)

Just because the channel still shows in your guide, doesn't mean your in the spot beam.
IF you go thru a rec'r set up, it will reset and you will not see your locals in the guide, I believe.

Just because the channel still shows in your guide, doesn't mean your in the spot beam.
IF you go thru a rec'r set up, it will reset and you will not see your locals in the guide, I believe.

When I reset the receiver I did loose the channels from the guide for about 20 minutes. They're back now but still can't click on them with good results.

BTW, I do have an account. I used the mover program the last time I moved without realizing that my time was reset to zero and added another 24 months. The Fios guy knocked on my door two months later. I have about 6 months left.

The only reason I let them install my dish the last time is I was unsure how hard it would be with a hi-def dish. This time I just moved into an apartment that had a dish up.;)

When I reset the receiver I did loose the channels from the guide for about 20 minutes. They're back now but still can't click on them with good results.

Hmmm.... that should not happen.

How did you do the reset ?

Hang on, are we talking Locals D* provided or OTA ?
IF OTA, go into the OTA section, Antenna set up and use the RESET Setting.
If your talking about D* provided Go into your System Set up and use the Repeat Sat Set up .....
Is this how you reset your rec'r ?

Or did you just do the red button option ?

Jimbo

Hmmm.... that should not happen.

How did you do the reset ?

Hang on, are we talking Locals D* provided or OTA ?
IF OTA, go into the OTA section, Antenna set up and use the RESET Setting.
If your talking about D* provided Go into your System Set up and use the Repeat Sat Set up .....
Is this how you reset your rec'r ?

Or did you just do the red button option ?

Jimbo
I reset by unplugging the receiver. It went through its whole restart procedure and when the guide first came up the lowest channels listed were in the 70s. A half hour later all the locals 2-63 or so were listed in the guide but clicking on them gets a 771 message of searching for signal.

At this point I'm resigned to getting basic cable here and bring the receiver back home. Now my daughter can have television in her room too. In a few months it won't be a big issue, I'll switch to something else once my commitment is up, maybe even the local cable which allows users to receive broadcasts over the internet when away from home.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)