Satellite preference?

Opusnbill7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I'm about to have a "wing dish" installed today to pick up my HD locals. Now, I know that a lot of the programming I receive currently on 129 (and others) is duplicated on 61.5. How will the VIP receivers I have handle that? Will it use the strongest signal? Will it choose the "first one" in the list of satellites? How does the box decide which satellite to use for which channel, if it's available on more than one satellite?

I'm sure it will work fine regardless...just kind of curious how it's going to work.

I'm about to have a "wing dish" installed today to pick up my HD locals. Now, I know that a lot of the programming I receive currently on 129 (and others) is duplicated on 61.5. How will the VIP receivers I have handle that? Will it use the strongest signal? Will it choose the "first one" in the list of satellites? How does the box decide which satellite to use for which channel, if it's available on more than one satellite?

I'm sure it will work fine regardless...just kind of curious how it's going to work.
You have no choice. Your locals are on the 61.5 satellite only so if the installer points it at 129, you will not get them. All national hd on 129 is mirrored on 61.5, but locals are not mirrored. Yours are on tp 11, satellite 61.5. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry...I should have been more clear. I currently have a 1000.2, so I already get 110, 119, and 129. I'm adding the wing dish for 61.5. So in this case I'll have 4 available satellites from which I can receive programming, some of which will be duplicated between satellites. My question is how does the receiver decide which satellite to use for a channel which may be on multiple satellites that you receive?

I had the same situation when my HD locals were added on 61.5--have a 1000.2/110,119,129. The receiver does NOT choose the strongest signal for HD. It's supposed to be random but in my experience that meant 129 unless it was for locals. My solution was to cover the 129 LNB with aluminum foil (it's the one on your right when you're facing the dish), run a check switch/test and get rid of 129. I get a better signal from 61.5. Good luck, hope this helps.

Ed

I had the same situation when my HD locals were added on 61.5--have a 1000.2/110,119,129. The receiver does NOT choose the strongest signal for HD. It's supposed to be random but in my experience that meant 129 unless it was for locals. My solution was to cover the 129 LNB with aluminum foil (it's the one on your right when you're facing the dish), run a check switch/test and get rid of 129. I get a better signal from 61.5. Good luck, hope this helps.

Ed
What he said.:D

Rats...that's what I had inferred but wasn't sure. If the new sat for 129 doesn't make it, I'll probably do that...but if it does, I may want them to come off of 129. I'll just leave it be for now and see how it goes. 129 isn't usually *too* bad for me, although it certainly could be better...

When I added a wing dish for 61.5 HD locals, the installer removed entirely the LNB for 129 on my Dish 1000.1. It works great.

You can do that if you have an older 1000, but obviously not with the newer ones.

I have 110/119/129 and a wing dish at 61.5, locals in HD are on 61.5. I receive HD channels that are on 61.5 and 129 location, and it is random, one time some of them may come in on 129 the next time you check they may be on 61.5, I live in the Huntsville DMA. I don't know why but it's the way mine works.