Status
Please reply by conversation.

joedol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 28, 2008
Copperas Cove, TX
I don't know much about DTV so if this is a stupid question please forgive me.

I've noticed a lot of DTV systems in my area have one of the 5 sat LNB's plus a wing dish for another satellite. I'm in the Waco, TX DMA.

Are 6 sats really needed for some programming?

I've noticed a lot of DTV systems in my area have one of the 5 sat LNB's plus a wing dish for another satellite. I'm in the Waco, TX DMA.

5 Sat LNB's is not the same as having 5 different dishes on the roof.

The Directv Slimline recvs signal from 5 different sats, but is ONE dish.
The majority of the D* programming is on 3 sats, one dish.

Waco locals appear to be on 103W, so the wing dish is not necessary for conventional English language programming.

What is necessary is HD receivers across the board.

5 Sat LNB's is not the same as having 5 different dishes on the roof.

The Directv Slimline recvs signal from 5 different sats, but is ONE dish.
The majority of the D* programming is on 3 sats, one dish.

I know about the 5 sats with one dish.
That plus the wing dish is 6 sats total.
Hard to believe 6 sats are needed for programming.

it is probably a international dish for foriegn channels

I know about the 5 sats with one dish.
That plus the wing dish is 6 sats total.
Hard to believe 6 sats are needed for programming.

1 dish gets you everything D* does except International at this point, International is moving as well to an existing sat, so soon everything will be on one dish.

I thought maybe Waco was one of those old 72.5 local markets where you needed the 2nd dish but according to transponder maps it never was on 72.5 so it has to be an international dish

Please help!

I want to get Directv on Demand, I have a Internet card and I'm not sure how that works. I want to know how can I hook my internet to get it. I don't know what I need? I do know I might need a router but I didn't want to buy one if I don't need to. If I do need a router, can I use any router or do I have to buy one from Directv? Please help me I am not good with this kind of stuff and I feel lost!:confused::facepalm

Thank you,
Kayla

I want to get Directv on Demand, I have a Internet card and I'm not sure how that works. I want to know how can I hook my internet to get it. I don't know what I need? I do know I might need a router but I didn't want to buy one if I don't need to. If I do need a router, can I use any router or do I have to buy one from Directv? Please help me I am not good with this kind of stuff and I feel lost!:confused::facepalm

Thank you,
Kayla

It kinda depends on what you want to do, are you planning on doing Multi Room Viewing ?

If so, call D* and they will set it all up.

IF NOT, you can buy a router (no it doesn't have to be thru D*) run a Cat 5 from router to D* recvr and check channels above 1000.

Thank you,
Kayla
What do you have for internet access now? What is the internet card? You probably already have a router built into the cable or DSL modem for your internet access. It may have more than one output, so you can just plug your HD DVR into one of the ports and then test the configuration on the system menus. If the modem only has one port then you'll need an ethernet switch connect to the modem and your PC and DVR connects to the switch.

Usually,people will get a newer dish,and the older,obselete one just gets left in place.It looks "wing",but its really abondened.
I haven't heard of a multi dish system since Dish Network used to use 61.5.
If there are others,please let me know,just so I can increase my knowledge.

Usually,people will get a newer dish,and the older,obselete one just gets left in place.It looks "wing",but its really abondened.
I haven't heard of a multi dish system since Dish Network used to use 61.5.
If there are others,please let me know,just so I can increase my knowledge.
In some markets D* utilizes the 72.5 slot to receive local programming....If you are in one of those markets and you have HD and INT. programming you would actually have 3 dishes...i.e. my brother's house in southeastern Illinois.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)