Satellite Receiver, TV or HD Signal

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have a VIP 211 receiver and get channels in my area market, plus I have local channels through my cable company as a backup in case the signal gets "rained out".

I was watching a program on one of the local channels and saw that the picture quality "overflowed" the TV screen and I wasn't seeing the whole picture.

Switched to watching the local channel on cable, same program, got the whole view and perfectly "letterboxed"

How come I'm getting the better picture on cable? I have ran into the same situation on other local channels on national prime time programming where I have had to watch the program on cable to see everything.

Dish 1000, VIP211, Toshiba MW30G71

Look at the receiver settings and make sure the output resolution matches your TV's. That's kinda the first thing that comes to my mind when you talk about what sounds like a mismatch in resolution.

I have both the TV and receiver set at 1080p and it is still doing it. Could it be the signal for my DMA, Charleston/ Huntington WV?

I even pushed the format button to see if it would help, no such luck. It's just doing it on the local channels during HD broadcasts on the satellite, it's not effecting the other HD channels.

In other words...

Satellite: local channels, HD programming, "overflow", can't see all the picture on the sides.

Cable: can see all the picture, perfectly "letterboxed"

So, is it the signal from my DMA or not?

Satellite: local channels, HD programming, "overflow", can't see all the picture on the sides.

Cable: can see all the picture, perfectly "letterboxed"

Is it doing it with HD channels from Dish other than your locals?

How do you have the 211 connected to the TV?

This is only doing it on the local FOX channel and local NBC channel so far, only during prime time programming in HD, from what I have noticed. I have the cable and the line in from the satellite hooked up to the receiver, 1 cable from the receiver to the TV. I don't have a HDMI cable yet, would that help?

This is only doing it on the local FOX channel and local NBC channel so far, only during prime time programming in HD, from what I have noticed. I have the cable and the line in from the satellite hooked up to the receiver, 1 cable from the receiver to the TV. I don't have a HDMI cable yet, would that help?

If only one cable to the tv & it's not HDMI, then you don't have HD going to the set. You have to use at least Component cables to get HD, 3 connectors on each end, red, green, & blue....

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted the question. But I'm puzzled as to why she only sees it on local HD channels and not national HD channels. It still sounds like something going on with the zoom function. Maybe her local HD channels are showing some programming in letterboxed SD or something. Or maybe her TV has a zoom function too?

Tena, don't spend a lot of money on an HDMI cable. Get a cheap one from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!, it'll work just as well. Or use the component cables as Rob said. (Again, don't buy the premium brands though.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)